I have seen hell, and it is the Overwatch forums

General Discussion
It really is a terrifying place, it's like an uncanny valley for language. I feel bad for anyone that wasn't around during the beta. The devs were around all the time, they had actual conversations with the players. People just enjoying the game and giving and taking (insert pc term for bodily waste, I don't want to give the mods an excuse).

I was so into that game it hurt, I have two framed posters I had signed by the Overwatch dev team from the blizzcon before launch. I built my own computer just so I could play it. I followed every bit of news and content I could about the game. I was a highly active member of the forum community and had zero moderation issues until about 6 months after launch. I'm sure you don't need me to spell out what changed. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't me.

I watched many active forum posters slowly disappear over the rest of that year. I tried to stick it out but it just became tiresome. The same threads all day long, someone posting that their child was crying because they got ptsd from seeing Tracer wearing leggings. Or why isn't my favorite character a secret trans/gay/lesbian? If it wasn't that it was just endless posts about stupid crap that had nothing to do with the actual game.

The devs pretty much stopped interacting with the community in any meaningful way. Now they have things like Team Fusion being forced to change their jerseys and it just never ends. The purity spiral continues like a bucket of crabs they will drag each other down with them endlessly trying to prove who is the most pure of thought.

That is now our fate, it will come slower for sure. The wow community is much older and still has a lot people that remember how things were before smartphones and instagram. But fear has always been the primary motivating emotion of humans, it drives most of our base instincts. The fear of being challenged, the fear of being mocked, the fear of not being with the "in" crowd.

When you give into those fears you create a padded room where no one can be harmed. Because nothing can happen, it is timelessness in thought. No risk, no reward. True freedom of speech entails with it risk, the risk of being offended, the risk of being hurt. But only with that risk can new ideas and true creative thought thrive and grow. The light needs the dark or else we would all go blind. Some people want to create a world of pure light and don't even realize the bland hell they would create for themselves.

Call it platitudes and sloganeering, I don't really care. It is my deepest conviction that this is the wrong choice and it hurts me to see the company that gave me so much joy in my life go down this path. I pray that I am wrong but I fear that I am not.
just another change for the worse that nobody asked for

stop "fixing" what isn't broken, blizzard!
Players may be rightfully scared that they'll have to check their own behavior.

They may see that as an oppressive force censoring them.. or simply the need to maybe be nicer and more polite to other players.

Either way, I'd generally advise players to be nicer to each other in the new forums.
11/12/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Snowfox

They may see that as an oppressive force censoring them.. or simply the need to maybe be nicer and more polite to other players.

Either way, I'd generally advise players to be nicer to each other in the new forums.

I imagine the amount of "wrongly punished" posts will increase in frequency for a while. This is not an answer some people want to hear, but it's far easier for some of us to simply avoid any form of communication with others than being nice.

Can be seen as the nicest thing we can do if you look at it that way.

Translation.. Toe the PC line or else.

I personally will just move on and do something else. Im not here to troll or intentionally offend anyone but IMHO the power given to the flaggers is not a good thing. Every little nit picky thing will be flagged. Gonna be ugly and it will run people off. A smaller player base isnt a good thing.
This is not an answer some people want to hear, but it's far easier for some of us to simply avoid any form of communication with others than being nice.

Can be seen as the nicest thing we can do if you look at it that way.
So, the updated version of "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
11/12/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Iradi
So, the updated version of "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Pretty much. Even then, some folks manage to get worked up over the silence.
11/12/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Shado
I imagine the amount of "wrongly punished" posts will increase in frequency for a while. This is not an answer some people want to hear, but it's far easier for some of us to simply avoid any form of communication with others than being nice.

I imagine it'll probably be about the same. Admins are still reviewing flagged items.

11/12/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Infexshun
Im not here to troll or intentionally offend anyone but IMHO the power given to the flaggers is not a good thing. Every little nit picky thing will be flagged. Gonna be ugly and it will run people off. A smaller player base isnt a good thing.

I can, right now, report posts. How does the flag change anything?
11/12/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Nevergiveup

I watched many active forum posters slowly disappear over the rest of that year. I tried to stick it out but it just became tiresome. The same threads all day long, someone posting that their child was crying because they got ptsd from seeing Tracer wearing leggings. Or why isn't my favorite character a secret trans/gay/lesbian? If it wasn't that it was just endless posts about stupid crap that had nothing to do with the actual game.

The devs pretty much stopped interacting with the community in any meaningful way. Now they have things like Team Fusion being forced to change their jerseys and it just never ends. The purity spiral continues like a bucket of crabs they will drag each other down with them endlessly trying to prove who is the most pure of thought.

Sound a lot like WoW GD...

Be nicer? No.

The truth isn't always nice and pretty. I'll speak the truth.
Son I don’t have much time left on these forums, so I’m not reading that wall of text
11/12/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Nevergiveup
If it wasn't that it was just endless posts about stupid crap that had nothing to do with the actual game.

IRONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
11/12/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Swiftraven
just another change for the worse that nobody asked for

stop "fixing" what isn't broken, blizzard!

people have been frequently requesting the forums be fixed for years, though.
The rules outlining what is acceptable behavior on the forums aren't changing.
The people enforcing those rules aren't changing.
The tools they have at their disposable on the back end are changing.

The rules are not changing, it is just going to be easier for the mods to enforce them. Follow the rules that have been in place since the first time the forums went live and you won't have any issues.
Heavens to Betsy, this isn't that big of a deal people. Blizzard isn't the world government and this isn't the end of free speech as we know it. I have my doubts that they'll even be much more restrictive than they are now, but even if they are, at the end of the day it's a private company's video game forum.

I get that people enjoy coming here and shooting the breeze (I do too), but I'm confident that everyone will be able to fill that gap in their lives, should the "worst" come to pass.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that Blizzard stopped regularly interacting with the community on the WoW forums ages ago. So no worries about that changing.
No Moderation - Blizz bad.
Mild Moderation - Blizz bad.
Actual Moderation - Blizz bad.

I am all for critiquing Blizzard on what they do but this is just silly.

99% of these forums is pointless, filled with trolling, layered onto trolling, with an extra touch of neckbeard anger.

I'm quite sure if you actually want to try to be at the very least, a normal, human being, then you'll be fine on the new forums...

But then again, with the different types of angered little children in this game, I'm not surprised some are getting worked up over a forum that is actually moderated. What will I do without all the great amazing threads! /s
11/12/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Archona
Be nicer? No.

The truth isn't always nice and pretty. I'll speak the truth.
You know, it's eminently possible to speak the truth without being an actual d-bag. You do know that, right?
The problem is people keep complaining, remove their ability to complain and you solve the problem. The perfect bubble of WoW LOVE, it will be the North Korea of game forums, just wonderful. The Wow devs will start reading it again, as it will tell them how wonderful they are.

If you haven't realized Blizzard doesn't want Negative feedback, if you don't love it then remains silent.

The problem is who decides what is "nicer to each other". Given its current year, absolutely anything can be considered offensive if you twist the context of the content hard enough.

Look at the Fusion Jersey issue the OP brought up. Only over-sensitive people will see those jersey's as offensive.

Forums and such are now being designed to protect the irrational people who try and find the offense in everything.

"You can talk about subject X, but not Y, because you may offend someone. But if someone is offended by X, they are a problem because it is deemed fine because group A is right and B is wrong, according to us"
What I have come to notice of late there are two trains of thought.

1: Every single puppy in the world is treated nice, all the children are fed and go to sleep in a comfy bed every night, all the unicorns in the world do fart rainbows.

2: Realists

It is ok to have differing opinions.