My best friend is dying

General Discussion
I should start by saying that I'm fully aware of where this thread will start- and finish- on the forums: filed away under "Literally Couldn't Matter Less". But I still feel the need to express my feelings about World of Warcraft. So, to the trolls I say: the crazy guy who brings the troll food to the park and talks to himself (think of the woman from home alone who feeds the birds, which Kevin befriends) is back! Feast!

For 12 years, this game has gotten me through some of the most difficult, most painful, darkest days of my life. It got me through a breakup with the mother of my kids, it got me through incredible friendships that couldn't withstand the test of time, it got me through cross-country moves to places where I had no friends and knew no one, it has gotten me through a particularly nasty bout with anxiety that made the thought of leaving not only my home, but the office at home, unbearable... It has helped me to kick a terrible drinking habit (stone cold sober for 11 years now!), it helped me with a substance abuse issue, it has saved my life from depression countless times, and it has helped me cope with three god-awful spine surgeries because of, and the pain from five different spine disorders, for over 7 years now.

World of Warcraft and I have been through some stuff.

And maybe this is just the worst way to view a game, but WoW has been like a best friend to me. It has spawned multiple AMAZING friendships and a couple of relationships that didn't work out but have resulted in good friendships. This game has been with me on some really good highs, and some really low lows- but it has always stayed with me.

However, I started to notice a handful of years ago, that WoW started asking me for money. It began by promising payback in the form of really fun and exciting content, and it always came through! But pretty quickly I noticed that the paybacks were getting less and less frequent, less and less fun, and certainly less exciting. And then my friend stopped offering to pay me back at all. It started saying things like "I hear you, and I'm sad that you're upset, but even though you say you need paid back, you're not thinking about all the fun we've had over the years! You're not thinking of all the times I paid you back before..."

So I stuck around.

Then, my friend started coming to me for money more frequently, and for larger amounts, and I realized my friend wasn't even asking me for the money- my friend was just telling me to give it the money. And I did, because it has kept saying things like "I don't have as many friends as I used to. I feel sad because a bunch of my friends left me to make other friends. All my friends are mad at me lately."

So I handed the money over, trying to convince myself that if I kept helping my old friend out, maybe my friend could get back to the way things were, and we'd be better!

But then it started to feel like my friend might be using the money I was giving it for things that weren't ... necessarily positive things. I was worried my friend was buying drugs or alcohol and doing things like driving recklessly without a seatbelt.

Then I was sticking around because I thought I help could make my friend better, healthier, happier.

But over the past couple years, I started to say no when my friend told me to hand the money over. I said "can't you ask one of your other friends? Don't you have millions?"

My friend only said "I'm not telling you anything about my other friends. It's none of your business."

And even though the relationship declined through the years, I've tried to hold on. I've tried to make things better. I've tried to offer suggestions and help and to just communicate, because I don't always know what's best for my friend, but I have always wanted what's best for it.

And then lately my friend told me that if my criticism wasn't what it wanted to hear, it was going to just ignore me, delete my comments, mute me in its comments so no one else could see or hear my criticism, disinvite me to parties and flat-out cut me out of its life.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have done that myself, years ago. If I should have tried to just spend my energy on me, instead of on us. And for some reason, I'm feeling guilty for wondering these things.

Now I'm searching for, hoping for, begging for any sign that my old friend is still in there somewhere, or if wealth and corporate greed have stripped away any and all semblance of the well-intentioned friend I once had.

I suspect a lot of the people who read this (if anyone does) feel the same way about our mutual friend, but I haven't really talked to many folks about it quite like this. I've always wanted what's best for this game. I've always wanted MILLIONS of people to be playing it, because that allows for greater opportunity to make friends and get to know new people.

I'm on my knees here, I'm begging blizzard to get better at hearing us, at paying attention to us, at talking with us instead of at us. I don't want to see this game lose even more people. I don't want more of my friends to leave.

But I really don't want to feel like I'm playing the part of the idiot for sticking around too long.
No king lives forever. Also, millions do play this game, because it’s still the largest game within this genre.
You almost had me there.
I saw where this was going and TL;DR the rest of it!
11/12/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Bouzsi
But I really don't want to feel like I'm playing the part of the idiot for sticking around too long.
You're only an idiot if you pay for a game you don't like to play.

Word is, there will be a Classic reboot coming in the summer. Maybe you'll find your "friend" there.
tldr
well played
Booo! (Am I doing it right?)
Everything dies. We all die. All our favourite things die. In the deep time of the universe, everything will ultimately dissipate into nothingness.

I suggest you reflect on this fact, and find peace there.
Well with Ohio feeling like the new Seattle I think wow is the only source of sunshine and nice scenery,then I saw that Argus and it reminded of these city dark and gloomy minus the puke neon green fire ooze--logged off.
11/12/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Dùbbs
Everything dies. We all die. All our favourite things die. In the deep time of the universe, everything will ultimately dissipate into nothingness.

I suggest you reflect on this fact, and find peace there.
That is very tauren of you. I always feel some peace when tauren post deep thoughts. :)
Nothing lasts forever.

Don't believe Kansas about the earth and the sky either.
You're treating this game as an entity (backed by a multi million corp that i promise you couldn't care less) and it is not healthy at all. It is a vessel, not a friend.

This game as a friend is not a substitute for real friendships and real people.
Take a break, connect with the people who are in your life already and use this time to build and appreciate the people you have in your life.
Oh BROTHER this was corny. You’re getting jaded OP, it happens when games have been around for awhile. BC/wotlk was when I enjoyed this game the most and it arguably had less to offer than it does now. It’s just gotten stale
Very clever how you did this.

10/10 worth the read.
Find a new "friend" then
I need that Pandaren that drops Confucius quotes in here pronto.
11/12/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Shenxiao
You're treating this game as an entity (backed by a multi million corp that i promise you couldn't care less) and it is not healthy at all. It is a vessel, not a friend.

This game as a friend is not a substitute for real friendships and real people.
Take a break, connect with the people who are in your life already and use this time to build and appreciate the people you have in your life.

Absolutely fair assessment. I think I can only argue that what I needed, long before I finally sought it out, was mental health care. I got so involved in being "depressed and anxious guy" that it was infinitely easier to log off when "life" got too challenging than it was to assess my actual life issues and confront and resolve them.

So, if you can look at the post without thinking that I honestly considered this game to be a living, breathing being that is my friend, is it easier to understand what I meant? More of a "this is how it felt, like when a friend does these things..." and less of "omg this guy thinks a game is his best friend lol"?
WoW started asking you for money a few years ago?
hey that sounds like my former best friend! he was doing the same thing to me!
at least you're beautiful and on the devs preferred faction. take solace that the devs will continue to take your concerns before mine, for example. :D