My best friend is dying

General Discussion
11/12/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Caddarly
This is probably the worst thread I have ever read and I worry for your mental health.

I appreciate your concern, honestly. My mental health issues are real, and are being addressed.

To clarify, I didn't mean to insinuate that I thought or think WoW is a real, living, breathing thing I consider to be my friend. I meant it in a way that would simply liken the feelings the game have given me as if a friend had done things like the things I talked about.

But again, I do understand how you'd be concerned and I genuinely appreciate those concerns, which are being addressed professionally and, I believe, adequately at this time.
OP: Best post on the forum in years.

Blizzard has become too big to fail. I wish someone would buy this company and drain the swamp. Yes, I went there.
Don't know if I should be salty that you got me, or happy that your real friend isn't dying...

Well played you !@#$%^ you!
11/12/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Bouzsi
11/12/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Shenxiao
You're treating this game as an entity (backed by a multi million corp that i promise you couldn't care less) and it is not healthy at all. It is a vessel, not a friend.

This game as a friend is not a substitute for real friendships and real people.
Take a break, connect with the people who are in your life already and use this time to build and appreciate the people you have in your life.

Absolutely fair assessment. I think I can only argue that what I needed, long before I finally sought it out, was mental health care. I got so involved in being "depressed and anxious guy" that it was infinitely easier to log off when "life" got too challenging than it was to assess my actual life issues and confront and resolve them.

So, if you can look at the post without thinking that I honestly considered this game to be a living, breathing being that is my friend, is it easier to understand what I meant? More of a "this is how it felt, like when a friend does these things..." and less of "omg this guy thinks a game is his best friend lol"?

Yeah escapism is really appealing when things get hard, funny way to frame it but i do understand what you mean now.

I can't offer any advice because I often do the same thing, gotta face it all eventually though.
+1
Dang, was not expecting that.
10/10, was very misdirecting but good.
11/12/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Melania
No king lives forever. Also, millions do play this game, because it’s still the largest game within this genre.

We have no proof that it's the largest game within the genre. Blizz saying it's the largest MMO is like me saying I'm the richest man on earth. It means nothing. The words are vapor because there's no numbers to back it up. Blizz puts on a big front and makes a great deal of money due to having multiple titles, but there's no reason to believe this game has more players than any other big name MMO.
11/13/2018 05:22 PMPosted by Rotraz
11/12/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Melania
No king lives forever. Also, millions do play this game, because it’s still the largest game within this genre.

We have no proof that it's the largest game within the genre. Blizz saying it's the largest MMO is like me saying I'm the richest man on earth. It means nothing. The words are vapor because there's no numbers to back it up. Blizz puts on a big front and makes a great deal of money due to having multiple titles, but there's no reason to believe this game has more players than any other big name MMO.

Actually,I'm the richest man on earth. I just don't have any money.
Thought this was an actual friend in real life not assuming a game that has been dying for quite a bit.
11/12/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Shenxiao
You're treating this game as an entity (backed by a multi million corp that i promise you couldn't care less) and it is not healthy at all. It is a vessel, not a friend.

You ever hear of a little thing called an "allegory?"

The OP was an example of one.

11/12/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Meshuggah
OP: Best post on the forum in years.

Blizzard has become too big to fail. I wish someone would buy this company and drain the swamp. Yes, I went there.

This X 1000000.
Great post, OP! I couldn't have said it better myself. I knew what the metaphor was pretty quickly, and I hope "our friend" gets better soon, or "he" may not get any more money from me, either! :-)
Congratulations on your sobriety. That was a challenge faced, acknowledged, and overcome. Well done.

Now, you need to back out a bit, apply some objectivity, and recognize that addictive or compulsive behaviors rarely exist in isolation.

It is great to enjoy a fun game, and relax playing it.

It is terrible to depend on externals you cannot control for validation, comfort, or emotional support.

Honestly, the game is fine. You are changing. One, it has long since lost novelty for you, and you are also desensitized to the areas that used to give enjoyment. Take a break.

Blizzard is listening. Are you? Are you really? Do you go into a Q&A in a mindset that is combative, expecting Ion to evade and deflect?

Or do you come to it open-minded to what he has to say, and credit him in good faith with meaning what he says, when he says it?

Expectations - especially when burdened with nostalgia for past pleasures we simply cannot recapture - are poison to appreciation of what we experience.

If you are not enjoying the game, get some distance. Come back later, or find something else. Come back when you are prepared to enjoy it for what it is.

But treating the game as a drug, and blaming Blizzard when you have built up a tolerance and don't get buzzed anymore, is not any way to play.
11/13/2018 06:28 PMPosted by Tymberlea
Honestly, the game is fine.

::chuckles::

No, really...I didn't realize this was the comedy thread.

You can't keep this up, I'll lose my composure.

Blizzard is listening.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

::takes breath::

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

::wipes tears::

Thanks, I needed that.

Ok, now on to more serious matters:

Do you go into a Q&A in a mindset that is combative, expecting Ion to evade and deflect?

Interestingly enough, he does so anyway. It's bad enough, that even wowhead has a drinking game/bingo card(s) for his Q&As. When it's bad enough that your major partner can make that big of a joke about your presentations, it says something.

If you are not enjoying the game, get some distance.

Over 80% of the playerbase to date has (if the 1.7 million number that was leaked recently that actiblizz tried to squash all traces of was any indicator). More people leaving isn't the answer, the current dev team changing course or being replaced is.

The rest of your post isn't worth dignifying with a response. The issue is with the game and those who design it, not the players. Three releases in at this point, they need to take notice and change their previous "vision" and offer a genuine apology to all players past and present. They need to also focus on releasing a quality product instead of one that focuses on metric padding time sinks. They would be surprised at how quickly things will turn around.
You should be banned and this thread locked for it's awful click bait...trying to get sympathetic peeps to come here just to read a game whine under that pretense is
Awful
Your "best friend", World of Warcraft, will probably outlive .... YOU!

I'm 52, so it could certainly outlive me. I'm sure not even Blizzard thought it would last 14 years.
11/12/2018 04:59 PMPosted by Solarwynds
11/12/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Dùbbs
Everything dies. We all die. All our favourite things die. In the deep time of the universe, everything will ultimately dissipate into nothingness.

I suggest you reflect on this fact, and find peace there.
That is very tauren of you. I always feel some peace when tauren post deep thoughts. :)
And then Koro posts. XD
11/12/2018 07:01 PMPosted by Bouzsi
11/12/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Jamalia
OP got me to read way too far before I realized I'd been mislead.

Grats?

My intention wasn't to mislead anyone,

From the title I expected to read about you losing a flesh-and-blood person, not your attachment to a video game.

Shame on you.
11/14/2018 12:08 AMPosted by Milynde
You should be banned and this thread locked for it's awful click bait...trying to get sympathetic peeps to come here just to read a game whine under that pretense is
Awful

Now you're just being ridiculous. As a previous comment stated, this is an allegory. I explained why I thought of the analogy as a "best friend dying", and never even insinuated it was my real life, human best friend. Who are you to judge what is and isn't worth sympathy, or who or what is or isn't worthy of the title "best friend", anyway?

If this is what you think should get someone banned from the forums, or from ANYTHING for that matter, god help us all.

And since they removed the dislike option from forums and replaced it with a reporting system, feel free to report it as clickbait. I'm sure they'll lock it or delete it. Hell, maybe they'll even ban me.

EDIT: After reading back through it to see if there were changes I could make to address your concerns, I realized that you could have stopped reading after sentence number two. Right there I stated that I wanted "to express my feelings about World of Warcraft". That wasn't a clue that it probably wasn't about a human being? And if you read a little further, you didn't realize pretty quickly that it wasn't about a literal, actual, flesh-and-blood "best friend"?

I'm sorry that I'm not sorry for any reading comprehension issues you may face. I can't force you to understand the differences between literal and figurative. I said in the comments that I didn't mean to deceive anyone, only to invoke a particular feeling or feelings from the reader. To help you to either understand how I feel about the game and its direction of late, or to elicit responses from others who've felt the same or roughly the same ways I've felt because of the game and its direction of late.

It wasn't done intentionally to **** you off, especially you personally. So don't take it as such.
11/14/2018 02:22 AMPosted by Idun

Shame on you.

Please see above.
We should be able to see how many tokens a player has purchased in armory.