How accurate were PS compared to Classic?

Classic Discussion
Are the Private Servers able to replicate, near perfectly, the stats of mobs or are they way off? Their AC, HPs, Str how fast they attack etc?

Were the mob stats (data) saved on the client, or did the PS creators find it from sites like wowhead, or did they have to guess at it?

Do you suspect the experience will feel very similar with Classic as compared to the PS or quite different ?
Nostralius was one of the better ones. A guy named Gummy made a really good vanilla server that he shut down due to hosting reasons a while back. He made a TBC server too that was really good.

Kronos, Lightshope, and Elysium all all decent. Thinks "work" with minor issues. A lot of it comes down to small things like rogues backstabbing from the front with weird straffing and the occasional falling through the ground in a laggy wsg match which I have seen 2-3 times.

Most servers won't take off unless they are at least decent. To be honest Lighshope doesn't deserve the crowd it has but its the only option right now.

A bunch of butt hurt bfa kids on here will say they where nothing like vanilla because they can't fathom at a bunch of a neckbeards created a beautiful thing. They remain patriotic to blizzard and defenders of the MCX overlord.
From what I saw the best Pservers are actually more accurate than the Classic demo. But I don't expect that to be the case going forward.
You'd really have to be a stickler for percentages to notice anything in particular being wrong with private server stats. The only major difference between blizz and privates servers is the scripting, nothing makes a private server feel quite unauthentic as a quest not working or mobs not path finding.
Dungeons seemed too easy on Nost when I was briefly there. They got questing right though.
11/13/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Coniferous
From what I saw the best Pservers are actually more accurate than the Classic demo. But I don't expect that to be the case going forward.

To be honest, the classic demo was a slightly modified 7.3.5 locked at 15-19. It was nothing like vanilla from a distance. I wouldn't even call it Vanilla honestly.
I did some lookup for mobs/quests/experience/gear as I leveled on ND.

I used a few vanilla DB sites out there.

I found it pretty accurate. Mob health, quest experience, rep gained, gear itemization matched the DB sites.
11/13/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Ghannagh
You'd really have to be a stickler for percentages to notice anything in particular being wrong with private server stats. The only major difference between blizz and privates servers is the scripting, nothing makes a private server feel quite unauthentic as a quest not working or mobs not path finding.

Pretty much this. I've yet to find any incorrect stats/mechanics on the pserver I play on. My only annoyance is sometimes (rarely) quests bug out, and you can only progress by deleting some cache files and relogging.

Overall, good 1.12 pservers are significantly more authentic than the blizz classic demo was. Hopefully this will change...
11/13/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Cybertilded
11/13/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Coniferous

To be honest, the classic demo was a slightly modified 7.3.5 locked at 15-19. It was nothing like vanilla from a distance. I wouldn't even call it Vanilla honestly.

Right, but the point still needs to be explicitly made. A narrative has sprung up amongst some folks on this forum that pservers have "made up numbers", that no one really remembers what vanilla was like anyways, and that the classic demo was therefore more authentic...
The things that people like Theloras go over are very legitimate. These servers, as someone said, are mostly different in the idea of scripting.
I think the only thing pservers aren't 100% on is stuff like coefficients, but they are close enough that nobody would be able to tell the difference.
Stats, items, quests, xp, all of this stuff is pretty spot on.

Considering classic will use a modded version of legion, pservers are probably going to feel more like vanilla than classic will.
Lights Hope is way more authentic than that trash demo.
near 100% especially the paid ones (vanilla and tbc)
few vanilla ones have little dumb bugs but nothing gamebreaking. Stuff like all hunt/lock pets being called "unknown" if you cross to the other continent
They are accurate... If someone remembers classic differently, they are remembering a different patch.... almost all classic servers are based on 1.12
11/13/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Ghannagh

That and straight wrong class mechanics that didn't work in the same way in actual Vanilla.
I never played on Nost, but it speaks volumes that Blizzard shut them down. Its well known that it had a high population, was stable, did a progressive content release [pretty sure at least], and it sounds like it was accurate or tried its best to be, Classic players were nerding out over it...So it must have been pretty close to being exact.
Private servers are alright, and nost was pretty decent. Most of their problems come from hardware they use. The problem with private servers these days is the horrific corruption that they pretty much all have. Selling gold/items/max level toons, catering to bots and gold farmers. One of the best things about classic releasing is that the extremely !@#$ty people who run them will have to get a real job.
No ones answered however how the pservers know all the database values to use for mob attack rates dodge chances etc.

Surely many values were not calculable and shown on all the thottbot etc. Websites so how did pservers get a hold of all the database values to host vanilla servers accurately?
I'm genuinely curious also.
11/14/2018 02:00 AMPosted by Hazzay
No ones answered however how the pservers know all the database values to use for mob attack rates dodge chances etc.

Surely many values were not calculable and shown on all the thottbot etc. Websites so how did pservers get a hold of all the database values to host vanilla servers accurately?
I'm genuinely curious also.

And if you want to believe blizzard, they lost all their old data too. I'm sort of 50/50 on Blizzard being able to out do a private server ATM. Specially knowing blizzards track record as of late with games.
11/14/2018 01:00 AMPosted by Kinetics
I never played on Nost, but it speaks volumes that Blizzard shut them down.
Blizzard didn't shut them down. The Nost team had discussions with Blizzard before shutting themselves down and met with the Blizzard team at their headquarters to discuss legacy servers. Nost shut themselves down in good faith that Blizzard would provide Vanilla fans with an official legacy game. The Nostralius team is actually responsible for helping Blizzard figure out things they couldn't on their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cii97VwcK6o