Several ways to level, no gear.

General Discussion
10/14/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Metrohaha
Doesn't work that way. Everyone's gear is scaled down, like old CM tech.
That's what makes timewalking so fun. You can create twink sets that will DRAMATICALLY increase your power in them, to the point that you can probably solo them if you were super decked out.
What about using old gear from those expansions? I've heard a few players have been doing that to TW's.
10/14/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Keltara
Doesn't work that way. Everyone's gear is scaled down, like old CM tech.
That's what makes timewalking so fun. You can create twink sets that will DRAMATICALLY increase your power in them, to the point that you can probably solo them if you were super decked out.
What about using old gear from those expansions? I've heard a few players have been doing that to TW's.

I would gather that since certain pieces of gear are overpowered, that you'd simply find the best trinkets and set bonuses from, say, Pandarian raids and bring that stuff into the Lv90 TW dungeons? lol
10/14/2018 08:56 AMPosted by Metrohaha
Timewalking coming up! 335 with no gear requirement for queue!
Don't miss out! Level toons now, then gear up Tuesday!

a random event shouldn't only serve as a ''catch up'' for new alts leveling.

the gearing is EXTREMELY flawed outside of questing and after doing every quests on 1 character, you don't feel like redoing them 5 times each just to have some green gear.

here's some idea :

-make profession matters pre max lvl
-make island expedition almost certainly drop you a piece of BfA gear in normal mode (not the rare transmogs you can find in hero+)
-bring back pvp vendors so the ones that levels doing PvP can target some gear instead of dropping 3 pieces of gloves in 10 wins and nothing else
-bring back the extra piece of gear that you can get from completing random dungeon queues like in the low LVLs instead of AP + gold

there could be more but right now I don'T have the ideas
I really liked the doubloon idea someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

It gives people more reason to do island expeditions, and the current doubloon items are kinda crappy as they're all one-use consumables.

That kind of thing screams "We could sell gear through this!", gear for 110-120 (I'd say, i300 would sound reasonable).
You can create twink sets that will DRAMATICALLY increase your power in them, to the point that you can probably solo them if you were super decked out.

I thought they broke the TW twinking at some point -- maybe that was limited to Wrath TW?
10/14/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Hirai
I would gather that since certain pieces of gear are overpowered, that you'd simply find the best trinkets and set bonuses from, say, Pandarian raids and bring that stuff into the Lv90 TW dungeons? lol
Only thing for me is-- how many set have their set Bonuses inactive already... Then it feels like it would be Stats number game with enchants/Gems.
10/14/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Hirai
I've been starting on my alts, and I've been noticing an annoying trend...

What's with this thing where there's lots of ways to levelup, but the only reasonable way to get gear, is through Questing?

-There's no crafted BoE gear beyond 111 until you get to 120 and then it takes ridiculous amounts of expulsom.
-Island Expeditions is great XP... but absolutely zero gear whatsoever.
-Dungeons can be decent for XP... but unless they fixed that recently, you get 1 piece of gear maybe 1 out of every 5 dungeons if you're lucky.
-Pet Battles can work, but.... no gear.

I've got a couple 114-115 characters that are sorely lacking on gear because I was taking a break from questing, but... their gear is getting outdated and it's harder to win fights because of a shortage of gear.

What's the point of alternate ways to get XP if you can't get any gear for your characters?

Couldn't we at least have a ~Lv116-ish crafted suit of armor to help with this or something? Or make dungeons have an actual reasonable drop rate on gear? Or something.

I was thinking about trying Timewalking, but I'm going to bet that it uses that same loot system that thinks 1 in 50 bosses is a reasonable drop rate for gear, so I doubt it's going to work.

Also, why is it half the time I go to post a message, and.... it just eats the message? I hate having to copy&paste everything I go to send before I send it because it might disappear into nothing when I try to post...
first toon unlock wqs then the rest can do the wqs for gear at 120.
they want to keep you in crappy gear as long as they can. it's part of the time metric. I leveled through IE and am currently ilvl 286. there are 2 shields available now at....lvl 285. what the hell?, i'm ilvl 286, and WQ's are offering me 285 gear?

shouldn't the gear you are going for be higher than the gear you have? hence the word progression.
Long ago, we didn't have this problem because our crafters could make a set of starter max level gear, pvp or pve for very cheap. It wouldn't get you far but would allow a foothold into bg's or dungeons.

A shame what they've done to the crafting professions.
and no rep, my paladin is lvl 120 with 240 iIvl i cant do worldquest
10/14/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Ahhsatan

Yeah, I'm supposed to do WQs at ~225 item level.

Ya, okay.
10/14/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Shónuff
Long ago, we didn't have this problem because our crafters could make a set of starter max level gear, pvp or pve for very cheap. It wouldn't get you far but would allow a foothold into bg's or dungeons.

A shame what they've done to the crafting professions.

Yeah, MoP was great, wasn't it!?

I mean, you got to Lv90, you had a full suit of slightly under-budgeted armor because it had PvP power and such on it.

But yet even so, it was superior to junk you got while questing, and it was great for those characters you did with the Cooking/Fishing dailies and Cataclysm content.

Then, several months later, they released another patch that added another suit of Lv90 armor, this time slightly higher item level, so you could gear up your alts again with some more catchup if you didn't have time to do much with them before.

And IIRC, they added a belt and legs, though it took daily cooldown mats.

Way better than what we got now...
10/14/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Riverbeast
I find that even with questing it's a struggle to get gear.

Your almost stuck with Legion gear until level 120.
This Rogue used her artifact daggers all the way to 120, largely as daggers just plain don't exist in this expansion.
10/14/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Hirai
10/14/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Ahhsatan

Yeah, I'm supposed to do WQs at ~225 item level.

Ya, okay.

not all WQs require you to kill things or you can play the sniper game. throw dots or instant cast ranged abilities like judgment. follow a person of the same faction and just wail away on things. might not do much damage, but better than nothing.
10/14/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Odinmar
You can create twink sets that will DRAMATICALLY increase your power in them, to the point that you can probably solo them if you were super decked out.

I thought they broke the TW twinking at some point -- maybe that was limited to Wrath TW?

For the most part they did. They removed old set bonuses, and normalized gear so that quality is no longer a factor. A green, blue, or purple at a given ilvl will have the same budget now. However, there are a few items out there that remain overpowered, so it's not entirely pointless. It's just more of a pain to put together a timewalker set.
10/14/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Riverbeast
I find that even with questing it's a struggle to get gear.

Your almost stuck with Legion gear until level 120.

What the what?
10/14/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Canopia
follow a person of the same faction

I do this when possible. not easy do some WQ's on a way under geared shammy. i'm sure it pisses them of when I run after them tagging everything, but what can I say. …...ion made me do it.
The problem is the necessity of gear due to scaling.

Before you could do alternate ways of leveling, and then go level in the lower level "new" zones.

For example, doing Shadowmoon Valley as a 95, where having a 5 level advantage over the mobs was valuable in its own right.

Now, you're on a race against your own progress because you're always in the highest level zone.

Now it's a race to 120 to where you can muddle through and get some cheap WQs to gear up.

The simple truth is that you'll alway be behind the curve while leveling compared to world content until you reach 120, and about 280+ ilevel. Then you'll start the real climb to power.
10/14/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Uzattei

Crafted gear and BoE's. Only way I got my DK out of that situation.
10/14/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Kalyeatrish
10/14/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Uzattei

Crafted gear and BoE's. Only way I got my DK out of that situation.

Right, so blow ridiculous amounts of money on materials to make items to dump in the scrapper to get Expulsom to make the BoEs, or buy the BoEs (probably even MORE expensive)....

Not really seeing that as being a "viable" option to be honest...

The problem is the necessity of gear due to scaling.

Kinda?

I would argue instead of scaling causing the gear problem, I would argue that it is instead a failure on Blizzard's part to evolve the gear system around scaling.

1). We have no Heirlooms even for alts..... why is that, again?
2). If <Lv120 dungeons dropped more gear, we wouldn't have this problem.
3). Same if you could buy <300 (scaled for player level) gear with Doubloons.
4). If there was a green BoE set, say, 280 for Lv120 that did not require Expulsom, we would not have a problem. 280 is weak, but good enough to do WQs with.

Scaling would not be a problem, if they had evolved the gear progression system with scaling in mind. But, because they kept the same old way of "Quests are the only way to get gear during the leveling process", NOW we are seeing a problem. Partly because of scaling, yes... but scaling is a symptom of a bigger problem: not changing the way to get gear as you level, since Quests are the only way to get such gear ever since WoD until WQs, which you likely won't be able to do without having some gear.