Did We Make Toxicity?

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Is this our fault? I mean the environment has been toxic for a while but I almost feel like bfa only added fuel to the fire. Cant even talk in general without people attacking you or having something negative to say. I don't honestly know if its because people act tough on the internet or the selfishness and disrespect of younger generations but its apparent and not getting any better and I can't help but feel peoples general dislike of bfa and things like mythics and war mode certainly don't help.

People say this game doesnt force people to play together anymore but honestly a game shouldn't have to. I play other online games and even though some have a toxic environment a lot dont. I just remember the community in this game used to be so much better.

Maybe all of the pruning coupled with rng has made people even more prone to toxic behavior.

What do you guys think?
I think it's a reflection of society, not WoW.

Just read the news.
Maybe all of the pruning couples with rng has made people even more prone to toxic behavior. What do you guys think?
I think it's pretty cheap to make such lame excuses for toxic behavior. I've had abilities pruned before and lost bonus rolls. I never felt the need to resort to racism or sexism or threats on the lives of the dev team. People need to stop making excuses for their poor behavior.
Most people are nice and decent individuals. We just don't focus on that side enough.

10/29/2018 03:47 AMPosted by Crookedmán
I just remember the community in this game used to be so much better.

It's the same community, we just grew up and became jaded.
There are many ways to be a toxic person online. I think the best remedy is to just be the best person you can be. One thing that leads mostly to toxicity imo, is the lack of empathy towards other people and selfish thoughts(this so-and-so is the reason I can get this boss down this run! etc).

There are a lot of people who do seem like they don't care about helping others in party and just want to leech. However we all still should try to do our best and be helpful to others. Teach newbies, don't censure them. Newbies can be newbies to Mythic+ and raiding, asking for achievements is completely toxic.

It'll never be a thing for a utopia to form though. The mass majority of people are too concerned with their personal affairs and people closest to them to be very kind to strangers.

Completely my own opinion. There will always be toxicity wherever you go.
What do you guys think?

Its not the game , its the player base.
We can have a lot of "Back in my day" comments made for this :)

Ppl today just takes things for granted
Maybe all of the pruning coupled with rng has made people even more prone to toxic behavior.

Internet anonymity. That's all it is. No accountability, be as toxic as you want.
Most people are nice and decent individuals. We just don't focus on that side enough.

I just remember the community in this game used to be so much better.

It's the same community, we just grew up and became jaded.

I strongly disagree.
I think that tolerating troll culture is a huge black mark against gamers in general, and yes, we created it by praising and encouraging it, and shaming those who attempted to curb it through things like the provided report function.

Gaming companies have, also unwisely, seemed to prefer "self-policing" communities, perhaps fearing that being too strict on trolls and griefers and harassers would diminish paying subscribers, perhaps underrating the degree to which said behavior drives more mild players away.

Courtesy, sportsmanship, good faith and cooperation are far more valuable habits socially, but are widely scorned. I find this deeply regrettable.

We hear a lot about the lack of communication from Blizzard, but this is entirely the fault of those who attack developers with truly vile slurs, abuse and threats whenever they try to make themselves available for comment. It is absolutely a problem, and ought to have real repercussions, up to and including permanent removal from the game.
I think it's a combination of the general dissatisfaction of an expansion people were expecting to be acceptable, and the fact that Blizzard has been encouraging people to go postal with their criticism of other players.
Stop using the word "Toxic".
10/29/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Crowlay
Maybe all of the pruning couples with rng has made people even more prone to toxic behavior. What do you guys think?
I think it's pretty cheap to make such lame excuses for toxic behavior. I've had abilities pruned before and lost bonus rolls. I never felt the need to resort to racism or sexism or threats on the lives of the dev team. People need to stop making excuses for their poor behavior.

I dont think it is the cause I think it's just another thing that people are upset about while playing. People often take their frustrations out on others.
The more Blizzard refuses to listen, the louder the fan base will get with its criticism.
10/29/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Crowlay
...I think it's pretty cheap to make such lame excuses for toxic behavior. I've had abilities pruned before and lost bonus rolls. I never felt the need to resort to racism or sexism or threats on the lives of the dev team. People need to stop making excuses for their poor behavior.

I dont think it is the cause I think it's just another thing that people are upset about while playing. People often take their frustrations out on others.

People absolutely take their frustration out on others. Give them the internet and a mask to hide behind and it makes venting that much easier and less...refined.
Part of it is cross-realm and group finder. There really isn't any incentive to be a decent human being if you'll never see the people you're grouped with again.

*shakey old man voice*: Back before cross realm and LFG, if you were a jackass to people in groups, you'd get a bad rep on the server and then you'd have to spend lots of cash changing your name all the time or just not get invited to groups anymore.
10/29/2018 03:55 AMPosted by Vaeana

Internet anonymity. That's all it is. No accountability, be as toxic as you want.

Don't forget all the free speech fanatics as well ha ha :)

10/29/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Kungfooyoo
*shakey old man voice*: Back before cross realm and LFG, if you were a jackass to people in groups, you'd get a bad rep on the server and then you'd have to spend lots of cash changing your name all the time or just not get invited to groups anymore.

Ahh yes "the back in my day" folks have arrived

Yup its true , it definitely encouraged ppl to behave :)
Overall, I'm seeing less and less responsibility for what people say on the Internet being taken by those people. Heck, I'm seeing people unwilling to take responsibility for nearly anything out in the real world.

It's not the video game.

It's not gaming in general.

It's people.
The internet changes the social equation. As etiquette changes it creates more change, cultural relativism in action.
Well yes and no OP.

I admit, I've often been reaction to things, rather than just taking time to ask myself why people are the way are like...you know I don't know what's going on in their lives, whether their dog just died, they broke up with their partner, whatever...not saying there's an excuse for bad behavior of course. Surprisingly though, I've had people tell me that their own children died yet they are still the nicest people I know despite such tragic grief; but everyone handles the challenges in their life differently.

If you are talking on a societal level in general, over an individual level, if you want to know my honest beliefs, well it comes to this; the simple reason for all this toxic behavior is that there are those that actually benefit from people fighting among themselves, usually for political reasons, sometimes for something more sinister. The simple reason if you have a population at war with itself, the population becomes easier to control. See, if you get people respecting their differences of opinion over abortion, euthanasia, vaccines, climate change and so on wouldn't suit the agenda of people that want the world to move in a certain direction. That's my honest view on it.

So no, it's not our fault that there are political agendas out there trying to manipulate yes, but it is our fault if we give into the temptation and start treating someone of a different opinion as less than human, I mean if you honestly believe that your position is the correct one, then stand true to your facts at least, but too often I hear people snapping at calling conservatives 'dinosaurs' and conservatives calling their opponents 'libtards' and whatever, well you know...that's not an argument, nor is it staying true to the facts.

Welcome to eSports.

If any single one of you even remotely stands a chance at diminishing my chances at Battle for Tuesday : Cheesebox of Destiny and being a youtube hero, with 45 viewers, a subreddit and my own meme...

I'm out.

The Internet - 2018