Locking quests behind Rep grind is lazy

General Discussion
I get it Blizz, you need to milk whatever player base you have left by forcing them to stay in game.

You want to lock allied races behind rep grind? Fine.

You want to lock flying behind rep grind, timegrind. FINE.

What I'm not fine with is locking my War Campaign behind difficult rep grind. Just as I'm starting to roll, completing quests here and there I'm halted by my lack of rep requirement. You know what will happen next right? I just won't care anymore. I won't go grind rep to keep questing. I'll just go do something else more enjoyable with my time and trust me it's hard finding something worthwhile to do anymore in this game.

Stop slowing our progress behind bad mechanics.
11/01/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Bastinelli
You know what will happen next right?

You will come here and !@#$% about it?
11/01/2018 07:05 AMPosted by Caelin
You know what will happen next right?

You will come here and !@#$% about it?

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
Everything is locked behind rep gates, pretty soon the AH will be rep gated too. I wouldn’t be surprised if players were eventually required to earn a certain amount of rep just to be able to log in the following day.
In Wrath, progression with the Argent Tournement quests was locked behind Reputation. This isn't new.
So you're saying that if you could do everything all at once and blow right through all the current content, you wouldn't come on to the forums to cry about there being nothing to do?

Because this is the situation Blizzard (and any MMO runner) has to deal with.
11/01/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Vaeana
So you're saying that if you could do everything all at once and blow right through all the current content, you wouldn't come on to the forums to cry about there being nothing to do?

Because this is the situation Blizzard (and any MMO runner) has to deal with.

They can rep grind whatever they want that's optional. Like I said, flying, allied races etc. I don't care. Don't halt my progress when I'm half way through the story. What benefit would I get by completing it?

When you halt the story midway, do you really care to come back and finish?
I get it Blizz, you need to milk whatever player base you have left by forcing them to stay in game.

You want to lock allied races behind rep grind? Fine.

You want to lock flying behind rep grind, timegrind. FINE.

What I'm not fine with is locking my War Campaign behind difficult rep grind. Just as I'm starting to roll, completing quests here and there I'm halted by my lack of rep requirement. You know what will happen next right? I just won't care anymore. I won't go grind rep to keep questing. I'll just go do something else more enjoyable with my time and trust me it's hard finding something worthwhile to do anymore in this game.

Stop slowing our progress behind bad mechanics.

Tell that to the geniuses that unironiclly liked the suramar campaign
11/01/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Sorelai
In Wrath, progression with the Argent Tournement quests was locked behind Reputation. This isn't new.

While true, the Argent Tournament was a supplemental event tied to the third raid tier of the expansion, and had no content directly tied to it beyond cosmetic rewards and catch-up gear. By contrast, the following is currently locked behind completion of the War Campaign:

- Pathfinder Part One
- Two Allied Races (per faction)
- The other faction's mythic-only dungeon
- All mission table champions

Yeah but its getting old and people are starting to get sick of it...
11/01/2018 07:36 AMPosted by Hascall
Everything is locked behind rep gates, pretty soon the AH will be rep gated too. I wouldn’t be surprised if players were eventually required to earn a certain amount of rep just to be able to log in the following day.

Rumor is there will soon be a rep to login to the game...
TL:DR

There's a thing I want.
But, there's this other thing that I have to do to get it.
But I want my thing.
Like RIGHT NOW.

NOW

DO YOU HEAR ME? EMOTIONS!
11/01/2018 08:00 AMPosted by Zule

Yeah but its getting old and people are starting to get sick of it...

Are the ones getting sick of it the same ones who blow through content and then complain there is nothing to do because theyve finished it already?
11/01/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Mvura

There's a thing I want.
But I want my thing.
Like RIGHT NOW.

NOW

What are you talking about? Would I like flying. Yes. Would I like to play an allied race like they promised. Yes. I'm not complaining about them because they're optional. They're halting mandatory progression behind rep. That's unacceptable.
The argent tournament is a largely optional affair with fluff rewards. Terrible comparison.
11/01/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Bastinelli
11/01/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Mvura

There's a thing I want.
But I want my thing.
Like RIGHT NOW.

NOW

What are you talking about? Would I like flying. Yes. Would I like to play an allied race like they promised. Yes. I'm not complaining about them because they're optional. They're halting mandatory progression behind rep. That's unacceptable.

I'm talking about arbitrary rejections of scripted game requirements.

Dude, your argument is utterly standard. The game is and has always been loaded with gated requirements. Pretty much all narrative oriented games are that way.

I get it, though. You're motivated by the outcome, not the game, which is sad. The very notion of playing and progressing through the game itself frustrates you because in your mind that's just a barrier to What-I-Want-Right-This-Second™.

Why play a game like this at all if your desires are so flighty? You don't care at all that the Horde is recruiting allies and building trust and that takes time. The good news is that are tons of games out there designed intentionally for players like you. RPGs are not for you.
11/01/2018 08:20 AMPosted by Zipzø
The argent tournament is a largely optional affair with fluff rewards. Terrible comparison.

Its all optional.

Video games are optional.

Argent tournament wasn't "optional" if you wanted the rewards that followed.
11/01/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Mvura
11/01/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Bastinelli

I'm talking about arbitrary rejections of scripted game requirements.

Dude, your argument is utterly standard. The game is and has always been loaded with gated requirements. Pretty much all narrative oriented games are that way.

I get it, though. You're motivated by the outcome, not the game, which is sad. The very notion of playing and progressing through the game itself frustrates you because in your mind that's just a barrier to What-I-Want-Right-This-Second™.

Why play a game like this at all if your desires are so flighty? You don't care at all that the Horde is recruiting allies and building trust and that takes time. The good news is that are tons of games out there designed intentionally for players like you. RPGs are not for you.

I'm actually complaining because I want to play the game as an RPG but it's stopping me from doing so. When you get wrapped up in a story you want to see it to the end, not to have it stopped by a stupid requirement to complete it.

It's like if you were reading a Harry Potter book and you got half way through but the book suddenly snapped shut. In order to progress you had to walk to the book store (you're not allowed to drive because that would make you complete it too fast) work at the bookstore for 3 weeks (can't pay to unlock the rest of the book) then walk back to finish the book.

Sounds fun right? I mean would you do all that to finish a simple story? I wouldn't
11/01/2018 08:23 AMPosted by Mvura
<span class="truncated">...</span>The argent tournament is a largely optional affair with fluff rewards. Terrible comparison.

Its all optional.

Video games are optional.

Argent tournament wasn't "optional" if you wanted the rewards that followed.
Obviously I’m talking about the context within the game, under a logical determination of what it means to progress.

Life is also optional.
Life is locked behind a rep gate as well but it doesn't mean we have to enjoy it or repeat it over and over again every expansion.

Also do you remember most tedious and time consuming rep grind we had to endure to unlock the Blood elf and Draenie? It was so brutal it scarred me for life. I'm glad they're *never* doing something like that again.