"Can I have X if you don't need?"

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
The item is his. Whether he needs it to disenchant or sell for gold to vendor is his business. Crappy but still his right.

Likewise, he may have already traded it and simply didn’t want to reply.

Or, an issue I actually have often, he may not be able to respond to you. I get a “user is offline” when I try to message back people in raids quite often.

So, moral of the story:
1. It’s not yours and forcing giving it up is not going to happen. They made personal loot a thing for a reason.

2. You aren’t entitled a response and there may be circumstances you should consider for why they haven’t responded (they gave it to someone, they can’t respond to you, they have multiple people whispering amongst other chat and simply don’t want to sort through it to tell everyone to stop).

3. Life will go on.
11/02/2018 12:13 AMPosted by Ayaan
I mean yeah no one is obligated to help anyone but I don't understand why anyone wouldnt, especially since we all know one day RNG will not favor us and we might depend on the kindness of another player to get a piece of gear or an upgrade

Read the OP again. He's calling the other person an "overgeared guy" in order to paint them in a negative light and make it seem like there's no way that the drop could have been useful to them. He then tries to get some pity points with "woe is me, gearing correctly is so hard, won't you just give me what I want." This is classic manipulative BS and not some call for empathy.

There's plenty of people that willingly help others, but this is less about that.
11/01/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Sharpbladez
Its their loot, they can do whatever they want with it.
This is why I'm glad that I have enchanting...
Someone I don't know begging for gear is almost no different than someone I don't know begging for gold. You want me to give you something I have without me being compensated in return.

Selfish? Maybe. But this isn't real life. No ones life or well being is on the line here.

If I want to give it away, I will offer it to the group. There is absolutely no need for anyone to whisper me asking for it.
He probably had whispers turned off. I typically do that in lfd/lfr do to all the whispers I get from that personal loot helper addon.

Last time I was in lfr and forgot to turn off whispers some item dropped and I got spam from 10 people on the item before I even knew what it was.

If I want to give you my loot I will state it in chat by saying:
"[Linked item] if anyone needs please roll".

I am also an enchanter but I am willing to give people purples if they need them.
If I need gold I can log into my herbing toon.
I choose to never respond, I don't care. RNG gave it to me, not you. I haven't had the time to do a weighted value observation of this item because the raid goes on. If I knew right away I didn't want it I would have said something in chat, but that was a younger me. The tells in raids for people trying to get items are so aggressive and frequent that I just don't respond and never offer up anything anymore.

Personal loot gives you what it gives you.. don't like it, bring bonus roll tokens.
Still not happy you didn't get what you wanted? There's always another week, or join a guild where the objective is to take care of each other for the greater good of the group. Though with how this thread comes across, your pickings might be slim.

Yes, people suck.. but I find it's the ones complaining about not getting handed someone else's stuff that suck the most in this scenario.
11/02/2018 12:11 AMPosted by Daydrys
Dude, there is already a system in place for this, we call it the human race. You're not going to teach someone empathy in WoW.
That being said, I never answer whispers for gear. It's simple, if I don't put it up for roll it's mine. I've probably given away as much gear as I've kept, but I've been called every name in the book because I don't respond to begging.
Now here you are saying you know the guy didn't need the gear and someone should force him to pay attention to you because gearing is oh so harddddddddd. Did you discuss all his gear and specs with him before you assumed he didn't want it? Did you ask him about transmog? See the point? Who wants to have those discussions over every drop? No one. Maybe you should examine your own behavior before trying to force other people to change theirs.

i wish my ego was this big at lvl 111
11/01/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Krider
No one is under any obligation to give you their loot. There's nothing to fix.
I'd argue the thing to fix would be people being assigned loot they don't need. If only there was some way for people to distribute loot themselves so those who needed items could get them. You could have designated people in a raid to decide who is eligible for the loot. Some sort of loot... master. Hmm.
If I get a whisper the second I loot then I know they are using that annoying addon, and I'm giving it to someone else or I keep it.
11/02/2018 12:04 AMPosted by Shales
What? You self entitled infant. There’s a scrapper and disenchanting in the game. Why the hell does he need to give you his gear?

Hate beggars like you. Asking is fine, but getting mad cause you don’t get it is pathetic.

Did i say I was mad? no, Did I beg? no.

Judging from responses like this from the community, people like this are defiantly toxic. its a human thing I've realised. And THAT is pathetic and sad.

Simply asking someone for generosity seems a lost cause.
11/02/2018 12:49 AMPosted by Darkombra
Did i say I was mad? no, Did I beg? no.

Judging from responses like this from the community, people like this are defiantly toxic. its a human thing I've realised. And THAT is pathetic and sad.

Simply asking someone for generosity seems a lost cause.

Dreadful state of affairs, isn't it?

Before you ask, yes I am mocking you.
11/02/2018 12:19 AMPosted by Teneea
11/02/2018 12:13 AMPosted by Ayaan
I mean yeah no one is obligated to help anyone but I don't understand why anyone wouldnt, especially since we all know one day RNG will not favor us and we might depend on the kindness of another player to get a piece of gear or an upgrade

Read the OP again. He's calling the other person an "overgeared guy" in order to paint them in a negative light and make it seem like there's no way that the drop could have been useful to them. He then tries to get some pity points with "woe is me, gearing correctly is so hard, won't you just give me what I want." This is classic manipulative BS and not some call for empathy.

There's plenty of people that willingly help others, but this is less about that.

Not exactly sure what you're implying here, I'm talking about a system of trade implemented within 5 mans after a negative experience. You seem to be a self-proclaimed psychologist derailed into thinking something else entirely.
Asking is fine regardless of response it ends there. The moment someone whispers a 2nd time its time to throw them on the ignore list. Its their loot and you are not entitled to it at all.

1. Side grade.
2. Off spec.
3. Different traits.
4. Mogging.
5. D/E
6. Scrapper
7. They are helping a friend in the group gear.
8. Someone else asked first and got it. Sometimes you don't wanna pm every single beggar.

Alot of reasons need to be thought about before anyone else gets the go. Recommend taking tokens and using them on the bosses you requite an upgrade for as a second go each week.

Also don't forget alot of people including myself don't do lfr on alts with chat windows on.
11/02/2018 12:43 AMPosted by Grrface
11/02/2018 12:11 AMPosted by Daydrys
Dude, there is already a system in place for this, we call it the human race. You're not going to teach someone empathy in WoW.
That being said, I never answer whispers for gear. It's simple, if I don't put it up for roll it's mine. I've probably given away as much gear as I've kept, but I've been called every name in the book because I don't respond to begging.
Now here you are saying you know the guy didn't need the gear and someone should force him to pay attention to you because gearing is oh so harddddddddd. Did you discuss all his gear and specs with him before you assumed he didn't want it? Did you ask him about transmog? See the point? Who wants to have those discussions over every drop? No one. Maybe you should examine your own behavior before trying to force other people to change theirs.

i wish my ego was this big at lvl 111

Nothing will ever get bigger for you, regardless of level or how many times you pull on it a day.
He has no obligation to give a random nab his loot, if he says yes, thats good but when he says no tough luck. Just move on.
I'll offer it to the group usually if I want to but whispering me, especially in a very entitled manner, just earns you an ignore especially if it's just a pug.
In top of ML, people want more systems to receive free loot?

What a joke XDD

Go to a Dungeon, man. Get the loot you deserve, if you are good enought to finish in time. And get good so you are not at the mercy and charity of strangers.
Usually , i give to the first messaging me , after checking if it's really an upgrade for him and i don't bother answering to the 4 or 5 other guys spamming me ,i just wanna get back to the game as soon as possible .
11/01/2018 11:53 PMPosted by Darkombra
Happened a few times now. Overgeared guy gets a drop which is an upgrade for me on boss, Send him a whisper asking him if I can have. No reply, leaves group.

Cmon dude. really? Do you realise how hard getting the right gear is currently with the azerite traits you want are?

There needs to be a in game system so if you don't need the drop you've looted you click 'offer to group' or 'auto trade' or something that gives it to someone that needs it. If 2 people need it. they roll.

Is it a case of 'fix the system' or just 'people suck.'

Okay let's go over a few things.

1. It's his loot, not yours.
2. You are not entitled to his loot even if it is an upgrade for you.
3. Asking for loot that he got out of the blue is rude.
4. It may have been loot that he got from a bonus roll (can't be traded).

Never ask or beg someone for loot that they've earned. If they want to give it away, they will post in raid asking if people want it. Then and only then should you reach out and say that you want it.