If you planned on being a Zandalari Warlock

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
11/06/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Ythisens
Warlock was incorrectly listed as an available option for Zandalari at the What’s Next panel at BlizzCon. The Zandalari have no connection to fel magic, and will not be able to be Warlocks.

I don't play Horde on the regular. I used to, but not anymore, so this likely won't affect me much.

However, it is pretty disappointing to see a race/class combo showcased and subsequently taken away.

As for the "no connection to fel magic" - I don't think that is a good excuse. Afterall, this...

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Demoniac

The Zandalari demoniacs take treading dangerous ground in dealing with demons one step further. Through an ancient and arcane ritual, they allow a demon to enter their being. Rather than let it possess them though, they enslave the demon from the inside, absorbing the power of the beast for their own command. It is a feat few are ever able to master.[1] The demoniac seeks to embody power outright, not just possess it. More than one demoniac has lost a fight with a demon; with the enemies of the Zandalari threatening them, the power that a demoniac is able to unleash on the tribe's foes is worth the sacrifice.

While this isn't a true "fel magic connection" it is a demonic connection. I believe there have been looser lore connections for race/class combos in the past. Orc Mages? Tauren Paladins/Priests?

There is also old ZG gear related to Demoniacs that Warlocks used. Below is a Wowhead link, browse at your own peril. Included a quote below of the tooltip.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=19849/zandalar-demoniacs-mantle

Zandalar Demoniac's Mantle
Item Level 58
Binds when picked up
Shoulder Cloth
8 Armor
+6 Intellect
+17 Stamina
Durability 100 / 100
Classes: Warlock
This is so silly to me , same with Kul tirans. They literally write the lore to this stuff. Change something , make something up that fits. Any new race ,all classes should have access to.Seems lazy to me.
its clear that they just don't like warlocks as a class and want to systematically delete the player base.

Why doesn't ION just come out and say we dont want you to play "warlock"
hes done it before with demo just do it again at least then we will know that we should just swap.
Y'all can't stop complaining, can you? The Horde got the Nice Thing we wanted: against all expectations of the lore, we got Zandalari paladins. That was a big sticking point amongst players of the Horde, and surprise, Blizzard listened for once and gave the Horde another paladin option, and now you're complaining that the Zandalari can't have warlocks? What more do you want?

From what I'm reading, warlock is the only non-hero class that the Zandalari cannot take. Otherwise, they can be any other class in the game, so like every other race, they are restricted from at least one non-hero class. Traditionally, no race gets to be everything, even if the game gives you NPCs that defy that.

Personally, I don't think the Horde needs more warlocks in addition to the six races who can do it already, but they desperately need another paladin option to stand alongside blood elves and tauren. That being said, given how badly the players have wanted Zandalari paladins and almost didn't get them, I'll trade in warlocks as an fully acceptable loss and run like hell with it.
11/06/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Kabbie
Y'all can't stop complaining, can you?

They made a decision to remove something they showed at Blizzcon.

It's called feedback.
11/06/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Xoja
Y'all can't stop complaining, can you?

It's called feedback.

Well, I thought it was odd too, but I consider turning in warlocks for paladins to be more than an equitable trade. Like lore-wise, it's weird that KT humans can't be mages, but the meta more than suggests that mages were the sacrifice made for the Alliance to get another shaman option.

Let's put it this way: if the Zandalari were able to cover every Vanilla class in the game just because that's how it went in every troll raid, the Alliance would be freaking out for months over Horde favoritism.

As an orc player, I've got no plans to play a Zandi, so I don't have a pony in this particular race, but I'm happy that they got their paladins. The thing is, I don't understand the hubbub about warlocks: the Horde has a shortage of paladin options, but we are more than good on warlocks. I shouldn't suggest that it's one-or-the-other, but I honestly do not see this as a problem.
I was planning on playing one. Was excited to keep playing and got shafted.
Y'all can't stop complaining, can you? The Horde got the Nice Thing we wanted: against all expectations of the lore, we got Zandalari paladins. That was a big sticking point amongst players of the Horde, and surprise, Blizzard listened for once and gave the Horde another paladin option, and now you're complaining that the Zandalari can't have warlocks? What more do you want?

From what I'm reading, warlock is the only non-hero class that the Zandalari cannot take. Otherwise, they can be any other class in the game, so like every other race, they are restricted from at least one non-hero class. Traditionally, no race gets to be everything, even if the game gives you NPCs that defy that.

Personally, I don't think the Horde needs more warlocks in addition to the six races who can do it already, but they desperately need another paladin option to stand alongside blood elves and tauren. That being said, given how badly the players have wanted Zandalari paladins and almost didn't get them, I'll trade in warlocks as an fully acceptable loss and run like hell with it.

Horde getting Z Pal has absolutely nothing to do with the fanbase and everything to do with them literally being in the game.
they desperately need another paladin option to stand alongside blood elves and tauren.
Technically, you don't need that.

Wanting and Needing are very different in context.

Unless you need to feel how it's like to get stuck on your Holy Raptor™ at doorways. I'm sure that's a special kind of "need".
11/06/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Kabbie
Like lore-wise, it's weird that KT humans can't be mages
They fixed that swiftly. which is kind of baffling - don't anyone on the team thinks KT can be mages?

Or maybe it's a voting issue - a 'collaborative decision' that is determined by the number of votes.
The thing is, I don't understand the hubbub about warlocks
Let's make it simple then:
1, It was announced on the blizzcon panel. Yes, it can be a genuine mistake on their part, but doesn't mean people are happy that options are removed.
2, It was in their background story, which you can feel free to check about Demoniacs. Their reasoning was 'these trolls have no relationship with Fel magic' raised a huge ? on our faces...............

Wait, why do i even need to retype this? Don't you read what OP typed in the first post?
Some of the class-race combos make lorewise sense, others don't at all. I mean giving monks to Zandalar was stupid... Did they forget that the Zandalari tried to subjugate Pandas (along with Mogu).

Also, their showcase at Blizzcon kinda revealed their prep. One race with all playable characters should never have happened. I.e. master race.... Old Blizzard Devs would never have let something so big slip by. Then also, there was uproar over KT Mages, and they gave in too. Do you guys not proofread the slides before a Blizzcon revelation??
If they are going to remove Zandalari warlocks at least they should have some halfway plausible excuse that the warlocks were working for Zul and we killed them all in uldir. But the lack of at least plausible deniability is amusing. I think that blizz needs to have a system to catalog and search their own lore and item database.
That being said, given how badly the players have wanted Zandalari paladins and almost didn't get them, I'll trade in warlocks as an fully acceptable loss and run like hell with it

I am not sure who wants to play Paladin at their current state or Lock.
11/06/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Xoja

It's called feedback.

Well, I thought it was odd too, but I consider turning in warlocks for paladins to be more than an equitable trade. Like lore-wise, it's weird that KT humans can't be mages, but the meta more than suggests that mages were the sacrifice made for the Alliance to get another shaman option.

Let's put it this way: if the Zandalari were able to cover every Vanilla class in the game just because that's how it went in every troll raid, the Alliance would be freaking out for months over Horde favoritism.

As an orc player, I've got no plans to play a Zandi, so I don't have a pony in this particular race, but I'm happy that they got their paladins. The thing is, I don't understand the hubbub about warlocks: the Horde has a shortage of paladin options, but we are more than good on warlocks. I shouldn't suggest that it's one-or-the-other, but I honestly do not see this as a problem.

They can remove monk from Zandalari because it make no sense at all. Also we don’t need every single Allies races to be able to be monk...(not counting lightforge)..
11/06/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Sefirosuwar
its clear that they just don't like warlocks as a class and want to systematically delete the player base.

Why doesn't ION just come out and say we dont want you to play "warlock"
hes done it before with demo just do it again at least then we will know that we should just swap.

That’s ridiculous. They obviously don’t let personal opinion drive their choice.

They are more influenced by class population and racial choices. The OP is right, howevever that lore doesn’t actually play a significant factor at this point.
Incorrectly listed since their announcement. Made it all the way to the Blizzcon slides before they decided to go “OOOPSIE!!!!! Sorry!!!!!”
11/07/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Láxi
They can remove monk from Zandalari because it make no sense at all. Also we don’t need every single Allies races to be able to be monk

Agreed. Monk being the meme class for every race is pretty ridiculous
11/07/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Riidatar
11/07/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Láxi
They can remove monk from Zandalari because it make no sense at all. Also we don’t need every single Allies races to be able to be monk

Agreed. Monk being the meme class for every race is pretty ridiculous

Which is why it's unavailable to LFD, worgen, and goblins, so there is that.

On the other hand, every race can be a warrior or hunter, and nobody is screaming bloody murder about this.
11/07/2018 08:35 PMPosted by Kabbie
On the other hand, every race can be a warrior or hunter, and nobody is screaming bloody murder about this.
Fun fact: Human Hunter and Blood Elf Warrior aren't available until Cataclysm hits.

There were speculations and theories on why those combination didn't exist until later expansion, which seems like a no-brainer to have warrior/hunter excluded from said races.

We're just having the same issue repeated here, which i guess is bound to keep happening as more Allied Races are introduced.

A simple question: What should be the criteria used to determine what class a race can be?

Background Story? Origin? Lore? or simply Gut feeling?
Okay, I was definitely considering trying a Zandalari Warlock. There's a Zandalari Warlock in Vol'dun and there's demonic presence in Dazar'alor which is the golden city we've been on for two months. This is literally a World Quest involving killing a demon. It is IN the game!

To Blizzard:

You do not need a connection to the Fel to become a Warlock. If you do, how many Draenei would be Warlocks by default since BC? How many Highmountain Tauren would be Warlocks since the Demonic invasion on the Broken Isles? Nightborne can be Warlocks, right? Same for the Void Elves? The Dark Iron?

Mag'har can't be Warlocks, I'm fine with that since we basically crushed the Fel Horde (I'm not talking about the Iron Horde).

And more details showing how some classes don't make sense: how can the Lightforged Draenei be Shadow Priests if they're... Lightforged aka pure light?

The reason why Zandalari should be considered Warlocks is because the Zandalari Tribe is the oldest Troll clan. Darkspear (Classic) Trolls only became Warlocks in Cataclysm sure yet they're a faction that is almost wiped out... but we see all around Nazmir that dark/blood magic and we literally have a Loa of Death! Loa of Death... Death Knight? We use Blood as a Death Knight. So why can't Zandalari be Death Knight? I mean... Zandalari Trolls were still on the main continents of Classic WoW when the Lich King came back, right? Wouldn't it be nice to be the "soldiers" of Bwonsamdi? I'm just throwing that out there.

And regarding the Paladin, we already know that the designers changed what is required to be one: look at the Tauren and the Blood Elf... and even the Dark Iron. And now the Zandalari... yet I'll be curious to see the Racial Paladin mount. But guess what? You made people happy by announcing the Zandalari Prelate. Kings' Rest, a dungeon, is filled with undeath and shadow. Same with Atal'Dazar... The Underrot! The entirety of Zandalar screams Warlock!

And here's another sign of inconsistency...

Who made a deal with Sargeras? A night elf called Azshara. Why can't Night Elves be warlocks if Sargeras is "fel"?

Also, Zandalari SHOULDN'T be monks because they were the enemies of the Pandaren during MoP. They literally were teaming up with the Mogu, more specifically Lei Shen, the Thunder King, to enslave and destroy the Pandaren. Townlong Steppes and Dread Wastes featured the Zandalari. The Isle of Thunder is dedicated to the Zandalari! Maybe it's a renegade clan... but that's how broken the storyline is.

There's no excuse for not giving us a chance to be a Zandalari Warlock. I don't think anybody asked for a Tauren Paladin yet here we are. In fact, it would make players happy if we get the Zandalocks and there are many people who would pay for a race change.

Zandalocks Forever!