Why do people keep saying Vanilla was better?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
11/06/2018 06:08 PMPosted by Morragin
The vanilla servers were DRASTICALLY different than now. To claim it wasn't is flabbergasting to me.

*shrug* I was there and I don't really notice much of a difference. The only thing different from now is that content is accessible, and I have more freedom to choose who I want to run with. Don't have to put up with that butthole tank simply because it was the only one you could get after 2 hours of spamming for groups.
That's no different than it was in Vanilla. In fact, it was worse because you pretty much had to dedicate your time to one or the other unless you had lots of time to play.

Completely wrong. The majority of people didn't even step into a raid in vanilla, and even making it to 60 was something lots of people didn't manage. You could play vanilla for a good couple of months pretty frequently before having nothing left to do but raid, in BFA you hit that point in like a week.

But aren't people complaining leveling is too slow now?

Because leveling now is a chore, they just made it take longer. Leveling my mage 20-110 to get the Heritage armor I don't think I ever died. I would pull packs and mindlessly AOE them down the entire way. I would 2 shot mobs. Nothing was remotely challenging. On top of that, I never had anything to look forward to. Leveling in vanilla, you have new zones to look forward to, new dungeons to look forward to, new talents and skills to look forward to. In BFA leveling, you have 40 level stretches of gaining !@#$ing NOTHING. Level scaling means you just go to whichever zone whenever instead of feeling like you're progressing. It's awful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDCIiHnP54
11/06/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Merrymaker
2) No RNG/Randomness.

That's true. Each boss would always drop Warlock/Druid gear. Every. Single. Week.
11/06/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Flommincy
Combat is too slow now, waiting for the cooldown is brutal for some classes.

Why does this comment even have likes? Vanilla is way slower than BfA and every single ability was on the GCD including defensive cooldowns, interrupts, and mobility spells.
Slow combat is not why people are waiting on Vanilla lol.
The only way to experience classic as we did back in '04/'05 is to get a lobotomy to forget everything and start anew. Not knowing Anything was the fun part of vanilla - nobody knew everything. We only had thottbot and alliakazan (could never spell it so I never went there) and info was lacking.

The exploration was real. The first time experiences were real. The corpse running was real. Took me 8 month real time to get to 60. EIGHT MONTHS.

Hopefully with the new engine running classic, it won't glitch out as much - our realm crashed every single day at honor update time and other random times - like tons of spell effects in a small area. Lag was sooo bad, we could barely move. Those kinds of things won't happen now...maybe.

It was all about the community. Frankly I don't think there's any way that will be there in classic. People are too jaded, too veteran, much older and impatient.

We'll see.

ps. I could only play like 15 min of the demo before getting too tired of running running running and taking like 6 casts to kill one stupid plainstrider. Then had to sit down and eat. I don't have the patience now either.
11/06/2018 06:22 PMPosted by Vixie
The only way to experience classic as we did back in '04/'05 is to get a lobotomy to forget everything and start anew.

No one is trying to experience what we did in '04/'05. We just know that Vanilla was a better designed MMORPG than anything else on the market right now, because modern MMOs are full of mechanics like LFD and cross server that kill any feeling of community or a massive world in the womb.
11/06/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Tadkins
I never quite understood why people think the community was better in Vanilla. It really wasn't. People grouped up together for certain quests because they had to, and a little more talking was required to manually put together dungeon groups, but it doesn't mean they all resulted in forging these deep lifelong bonds of friendship. Plenty of trolls and buttholes existed in the game, the same as today. And these same people were the ones you were pretty much required to deal with in order to see any form of higher content in the game.

Community was way better because people were way less trolly. The kids today also can't think very well. Go into any BG and you'll see what I mean.
11/06/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Utterly
Community was way better because people were way less trolly. The kids today also can't think very well. Go into any BG and you'll see what I mean.

People were plenty trolly in Vanilla, and since the inception of BGs people have always fought on the roads and ignored flags.
11/06/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Tadkins

People were plenty trolly in Vanilla, and since the inception of BGs people have always fought on the roads and ignored flags.

Not really. You had to be a pretty polite person to get anywhere at a high level in vanilla or into a good guild. You didn't get what I mean. They can't work out strategy for themselves. 20 year olds should be able to do that without having every detail explained to them.
Nostalgia and well Vanilla did a better RPG than any other expansion has done for WoW.
11/06/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Tadkins

People fought on the roads before BGS or ANY pvp rewards, because it was fun.

And, there were trolls and such, but because your identity on your server was worth more, because of no realm transfers or name changes, if you screwed up, you had to reroll on another server.

Leveling WAS the game for most people in vanilla. Less than 1% raided, or so it's claimed. I raided, and the raiding community was more like 25% on my server, but it was one of the original 20, and very populated.

I'd love for guilds and servers to mean something again - but with the modern gameplay. I'd love to run mythics and the current raids with my old guild, but players like that are rare and hard to find now, and tend to be very insular and not open to letting randoms in.

My favorite memories of vanilla are like the times a random player greeted me in the wetlands as a low level rogue, and talked to me for an hour explaining high end rogue skills. He changed how I played from that day on. Or the guy in the Uldaman pug that taught the tank how to tank, and the rest of us how to be good support players, with patience and humor. He spent two hours with us, simply because he enjoyed playing.

If players like that are in the Classic servers, I might consider it. But odds are, it will be all GOGOGOGOGO, and someone is going to create some form of raider.io for it. You know they will.
11/06/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Brutalistica
It had that rpg element vibe that it doesn't have today. Complex talent tree, profession routes, community and communications. If anything ESO, GW2 and FFXIV carried that tradition over while WoW drifted away from it.

Well the new generation isn't into that kind of thing anymore.

They are into fortnite, Overwatch or other games..

You are not going to convince a 15 years old guy to play Modern WoW the way Classic used to be.. he will get bored and leave.
11/06/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Merrymaker
What was better explain?
I played back then. A lot.

I pushed through Naxx40 with a team before BC was out, all but Saph & KT before the xpack. I was playing pretty much all the time. Had a max level character of every class at 60. Was running a gold making business with my alts with all of the tailors and alchemists doing mooncloth and arcanite transmutes every few days.

I loved the game. It was great.

But I know that I won't be going back and playing classic in any serious sense. Maybe make a character I play like an alt just for the sake of nostalgia. But that's all it will be.

Going back would be like re-reading a book you know was great at the time when you were a teen and that you loved, 20 years later as an adult when you know now that there was a lot of stuff you've since learned that will probably ruin it for you if you try it again.

And my suspicions on that were confirmed when I downloaded the classic demo.

Don't get me wrong, I will make a classic character when it comes out and may even play them up to 60 again. But I won't raid. I won't be able to replicate what I did 14 years ago. And I don't really want to. I have those fond memories and I kind of done want to ruin them with trying to go back and unsuccessfully try to capture how it was and fail. Because it won't work. And I already know that.

I may enjoy it if say the old Tarren Mill vs South Shore world PvP starts up again and that alone might be worthwhile to check out from time to time. But I'm not going to expect miracles.
11/06/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Utterly
Not really. You had to be a pretty polite person to get anywhere at a high level in vanilla or into a good guild. You didn't get what I mean. They can't work out strategy for themselves. 20 year olds should be able to do that without having every detail explained to them.

Not really true there either. Plenty of the biggest trolls on my server at the time were in fact in the top guilds. And they could do what they want to others on the server, because really who could stop them? No top guild would ever kick their best healer because he ninja'ed something from a group of "rando peasant scum". Hell they probably laughed at you together over Vent if you tried to report them to their GM.
11/06/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Tadkins
11/06/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Utterly

Not really true there either. Plenty of the biggest trolls on my server at the time were in fact in the top guilds. And they could do what they want to others on the server, because really who could stop them? No top guild would ever kick their best healer because he ninja'ed something from a group of "rando peasant scum". Hell they probably laughed at you together over Vent if you tried to report them to their GM.

Could you just stop being a contrarian for ego's sake, and just admit you were wrong?
11/06/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Morragin
Could you just stop being a contrarian for ego's sake, and just admit you were wrong?

He is actually right.

You think people would kick their best player just because he ninja'ed some items/mount from a "random pug" ?

Lol, ya back then there was a server reputation true.. but not to that level. trust me.

They were probl laughing on vent about the situation. back then.
I prefer chocolate.
11/06/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Morragin

Uh, no? That was my experience in Vanilla, and BC as well.

Understand that not everyone saw the community of those days as some shining utopia.
11/06/2018 06:53 PMPosted by Merrymaker
Lol, ya back then there was a server reputation true.. but not to that level. trust me.

Only the peasants were beholden to a "server reputation".