Why do people keep saying Vanilla was better?

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8
It was better for wasting more time :)

Killed a mob ?? Sit and eat
Need a group ?? spam channels
Found a group?? walk to instance
Wanna waste time over a quest?? remove shared tags
Raiders during those days were the true no lifers :)

Some go go go players say they hate to waste time/cc and rng in bfa but love classic, well i got bad news for dem guys as its worse in classic .
The problem with people who didn't play Vanilla is that you look at all the QoL changes over the years and automatically assume the game must be better now. What you don't understand is that not everything boils down to mechanics. I will be the first to admit that of course it's partially due to WoW being my first real MMO experience...I still remember the awe I felt the first time Rag popped out of that lava.

But it's more than that. This will sound cheesy, but this game used to have more of a soul. It's so predictable and homogenized and convenient to play now...it's in many ways a much more boring game despite the stories being better. In Vanilla I could play for hours and hours a day on one toon. Now? Do a Mythic+ once a week, world boss once a week, maybe a transmog run or two. Maybe a weekly quest if it's not PvP or stupid pet battles. And that's it.

For me at least, despite its flaws Vanilla WoW was a much more *engaging* game. That's something modern players will NEVER understand just by looking at it on paper. You can give me all the theoretical reasons why modern WoW is superior, but that doesn't matter in the slightest when in my gut I know that I had more FUN in Vanilla.
11/06/2018 11:09 PMPosted by Wariya
It was better for wasting more time :)

Killed a mob ?? Sit and eat
Need a group ?? spam channels
Found a group?? walk to instance
Wanna waste time over a quest?? remove shared tags
Raiders during those days were the true no lifers :)

Some go go go players say they hate to waste time/cc and rng in bfa but love classic, well i got bad news for dem guys as its worse in classic .

As if rushing everywhere and worrying about efficiency and a never ending grind is a better system than a slow and methodical progression.

If you don't like vanilla, that's fine. But there are other people who do.
i can explain the community thing!

back when star wars galaxies mmorpg was still operating, they had released the game without the option to play jedi . instead, they said, you had to find the path to jedi during game play. a year and a half later, and still no one had figured it out.

an enterprising hacker went thru the files and said there was no mention of jedi or images related to it, in any of the files. people began to suspect sony was using the mysterious jedi class as a carrot on a stick , problem was, the carrot was invisible.

so they gave people clues. but the clues were not precise enough. one of the clues it said was you had to be polite in game. that a script was running, counting how many times you said please, thank you and bowed to another player.

people were so nice to each other. it was great. hehe
It was much, much, much, much worse.

It really was incredibly bad.

I can address pretty much the only reason people would think it was better:

They were in a raiding guild, capable of fielding at least 40 people for 5 hours a night, 5 nights a week, with a DKP system which rewarded being to EVERY, SINGLE RAID.

So they remember the camaraderie of that. They remember only having to do that, basically, then screwing around on an alt if they felt like it.

There was nothing else to do in Vanilla. There was no faction raising, unless it somehow tied in to that 40 person raiding.

So it was an incredibly simple game, with only one thing to do. That is why they liked it. They COULD do that one thing and they ENJOYED it.

The problem is that it is much more unlikely to work for anyone today, even those people who enjoyed it back then. You'll see this in the Classic forums, after it releases and enough people are level 60.

Unless people go in with a guild like this, from the start with this intent, they are likely to be shut out. Or they'll be trying to make a guild like this themselves, but they won't have luck. Or they'll be trying to get into a guild like this, but that guild will already be "full up."

I don't have to tell you about the forum storm you'll see, both here and over there, when there might be some way to tell what a Classic player's regular character is. Have you read the threads about AOTC, or Raider IO? Wait until people require you to have done something in regular Wow, to be "fit" for their raiding guild in Classic Wow.

Everyone who remembers it fondly was in the EXACT RIGHT GUILD, with the EXACT RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES. They didn't really realize at the time how rare that was.
11/06/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Bromdai
Nostalgia is one heck of a drug.

That's all any answer you're going to get in this thread will ultimately boil down to.

"I had fun in Vanilla, but then the game changed and I didn't like the changes so I think going back to Vanilla will solve all the game's problems and make it fun for me again."

Because that's what the Nostalgia Filter does, it filters out all of the bad things from the past and highlights all the things you like so the things you enjoyed are the only things you focus on.

11/06/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Virus
The experience was just better for them because it was fresh and full of firsts, first raiding experience, first awesome guild joined etc etc. None of that can be recreated for me so i really don't understand the desire to go back and play it again.

11/06/2018 03:30 PMPosted by Demonoid
90% of the players that crap at the mouth over how great Vanilla is/was are going to log in, play for 2 weeks, hit level ~24 and quit because the game isn't what they remembered it.

Just from the front page, we have here^ the prime example of general discussion posters who fail to realize that the majority of the vocal classic community already participated in private servers.

The nostalgia concept isn't an argument. It's not "rose tinted glasses" if you can load up an old version of the game instantly and play it.
11/06/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Kypookins
It was much, much, much, much worse.

It really was incredibly bad.

I can address pretty much the only reason people would think it was better:

They were in a raiding guild, capable of fielding at least 40 people for 5 hours a night, 5 nights a week, with a DKP system which rewarded being to EVERY, SINGLE RAID.

So they remember the camaraderie of that. They remember only having to do that, basically, then screwing around on an alt if they felt like it.

There was nothing else to do in Vanilla. There was no faction raising, unless it somehow tied in to that 40 person raiding.

So it was an incredibly simple game, with only one thing to do. That is why they liked it. They COULD do that one thing and they ENJOYED it.

The problem is that it is much more unlikely to work for anyone today, even those people who enjoyed it back then. You'll see this in the Classic forums, after it releases and enough people are level 60.

Unless people go in with a guild like this, from the start with this intent, they are likely to be shut out. Or they'll be trying to make a guild like this themselves, but they won't have luck. Or they'll be trying to get into a guild like this, but that guild will already be "full up."

I don't have to tell you about the forum storm you'll see, both here and over there, when there might be some way to tell what a Classic player's regular character is. Have you read the threads about AOTC, or Raider IO? Wait until people require you to have done something in regular Wow, to be "fit" for their raiding guild in Classic Wow.

Everyone who remembers it fondly was in the EXACT RIGHT GUILD, with the EXACT RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES. They didn't really realize at the time how rare that was.

Yup, every person who is going to be playing classic or liked it were hardcore raiders. No one else. LOL sure..
cuz it was

here's an order of which versions of the game was best

Vanilla - WotLK - BC - Cata - Legion - MoP - BfA - WoD
Because Vanilla (and arguably, TBC and WotLK) were just as much about the journey as they were the destination. Yes, if you’re breaking your neck trying to hit max level and start raiding, leveling might be nothing more than an annoying chore. On the other hand, if you take it at a more chill pace and play for playing’s sake instead of making it all about some grand goal, it can be a lot more fun.

I raided some in Vanilla and yeah it was fun, but for me the highlight was leveling and goofing around in dungeons with guildies. That held true for TBC and WotLK, too. From Cata onward, though, both Blizzard and the community got absolutely obsessed with the almighty endgame and (for me) it’s been somewhat downhill ever since (though I enjoyed leveling in Kul Tiras, so it’s a problem Blizz is conscious of at least).

What’s worse is that all the other online games have the same exact problem. Everybody’s going at a breakneck pace to chase the Eternal Endgame Carrot. That’s why Classic is exciting to a lot of people; it’s a rare chance to have to get our journey-oriented MMO back. Sure, endgamers will be there too, but I can assure you that they won’t be anywhere near the majority that they are in modern WoW.
For the same reason people are saying 80s She-Ra is better than the new Netflix one:

Because they don't know what the hell they're talking about.
Most people in Vanilla... maybe 80% didn't see Naxx-40.

I'm sure that number who didn't see Naxx-40 would be 95% or more. I think that influenced their decision to add more catch up mechanisms in BC and then easier raid difficulties in wotlk onwards.
Wrath of the Lich King was wow at it's best.

Vanilla sucked.

BFA sucks more.

Fight me.