Restoration of the Loa?

Story Forum
11/10/2018 06:03 AMPosted by Ximothy
11/10/2018 05:28 AMPosted by Piouspelicañ
They are native to Zandalar

That's entirely besides the point, Blizz chose to have them live there and make the Zandalari worship them. That's what I'm saying is weird. It's not like they previously established they lived there and this was the logical conclusion, they decided to make the Zandalari also worship Hir-eek and Shadra.

I find it odd Blizzard decided that each troll group have their own pantheon, even giving the Zandalari their own Loa for the most part (Gonk, Gral, the Frog, Rezan, etc), but then deciding to randomly throw in two Gurubashi Loa. If the Zandalari Loa were a mix of all the troll Loa, then I can see it, but I question why they decided to give the Zand their own Loa, execpt for two who are borrowed from the Gurubashi.

It's an odd story choice. Though having the Zandalari have a total mix of all troll Loa could've been cool. I still wish Zanza did more.

Bwonsamdi... I'm still mixed thoughts on him so I won't get into him.

Oh, right. I get you now. Besides the point indeed.
11/09/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Reignac
11/09/2018 07:07 PMPosted by Vesiana
Haven't we killed Shadra twice now?

Once in Hinterlands, once by Yzma, then we kill Yzma

Three times actually, she died in Hinterlands in both vanilla and Cata. But the difference between those times and when Yazma killed her is Yazma drained her essence.

The developer said that Yazma was likely lying about perma-killing Shadra.

And to be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter uunless blizzard want it to matter.
11/09/2018 09:16 PMPosted by Kisin
11/09/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Noelie
They're likely all coming back. When asked in an interview about Yazma saying "die forever" when she consumes Shadra, Afrasiabi said that Yazma "talks a lot of garbage."

This is at 17:37 of this video: https://youtu.be/8nGnT6WZbeI

This is fantastic news. I really wish Shadra could stick around long enough to get a speaking line eventually. She's such an interesting loa and it's a shame how little she gets used.
On the contrary. It’s a shame how MUCH she gets used for the explicit purpose of getting killed off.

We kill her in vanilla, we kill her again in Cata, and then Yazma kills her again in Zandalar. It’s absurd how many times they’ve literally used her as just your typical evil, giant, fantasy spider.
I mean, they could still be dead for centuries and centuries, like (say) Aviana.
I'm pretty sure someone said at Blizzcon Loa can never truly die.

But they might be mistaken.
The most likely scenario, in all terrible honesty, is that none of them are coming back.

Not for any particular lore reason, but because the "Trolls" segment of this expansion is over. The next few waves of content are about Azshara and Saurfang, and the wave after that will pivot to Sylvanas, Anduin and N'Zoth. They're unlikely to make space in the narrative for a random injection of Troll spirituality.
11/09/2018 07:30 PMPosted by Valathen
If Shirvallah isn't dead then why is Kimbul the tiger loa we interact with? Could we possibly see the OG tiger loa return as a new source of faith/worship for the Zandalari prelates?
I would say that it's a semi-separate pantheon of jungle troll loa if not for the fact that Hir'eek is one of the primary Loa of the Gurubashi and we kill him in Zandalar.

Kimbul is also a sand-troll loa, and he exists in direct proximity to a large desert, so there's that. They probably looked at Voldun and went "we need another loa to toss in here", looked at the Farraki Loa and went "boom there we go".

Edit:
11/10/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Pyrogar
We kill her in vanilla, we kill her again in Cata, and then Yazma kills her again in Zandalar.
We killed avatars, not the spirit of the Loa itself like Yazma apparently did.

On the contrary. It’s a shame how MUCH she gets used for the explicit purpose of getting killed off.

We kill her in vanilla, we kill her again in Cata, and then Yazma kills her again in Zandalar. It’s absurd how many times they’ve literally used her as just your typical evil, giant, fantasy spider.

I don't disagree. What I mean is that it's a shame they don't use her for more than just killing her off. She isn't even that evil of a loa, she just has dark themes.

In Shadows of the Horde she and Hir'eek were the two loa who chose to aid Vol'jin over the Zandalari. Shadra gave away the Zandalari position to Vol'jin and allowed him to form a defense against their invasion.

That is a really interesting choice for her to make given we now know she isn't just worshiped by the Zandalari, but that her high priestess holds a powerful political position among the Zanchuli.

It would have been cool to call back to that by having Shadra's children aid you through your questing experience, steadily leading you to the reveal that Yazma was plotting betrayal, only for you to reach her temple too late. That would have at least given her a presence before she died to make her death more emotionally impactful.
To a point. Shadra got shafted hard and I think she deserves to make a comeback if she can; dying forever just so a minor villain can get a power up is lame. Rezan's death and Bwon taking over as the royal loa, on the other hand, was a major and emotional plot point with significant consequences; reversing that just for good feels would be cheap.
Something else I thought about, I wonder where the spirits of the loa that make up the Fetid Devourer (Lion, Buzzard, Raptor) are at right now.
Somewhere lost in the Emerald Dream?

11/10/2018 10:29 AMPosted by Yagarr
I'm pretty sure someone said at Blizzcon Loa can never truly die.

But they might be mistaken.

Mam'toth in Zul'drak is permadead, but only because he basically imploded his soul itself to stop his followers from draining his power.

Apart from that I don't know if it's possible to permakill a loa/wild god.