Use your crystal ball: predict the state of World of Warcraft over the next decade

General Discussion
How do you think it will evolve? Do you think it will still be an active game with monthly subscription fees? Free to play with freemium? Dumped in favor of a new MMO?

Love to pick the best minds here. Do we really think it would hit an unprecedented 25th anniversary and keep trucking?
Closed. WoW 2 taking over.

Genuinely in 10 years I don't think this game can progress much further. It's getting really chaotic with stat squishes every expansion, level bloat, etc.

There's so much dead content in wow, I'd imagine they eventually look at starting over as a better alternative to expanding on something that isn't working as well as it should.
WoW is old but not ancient like some other MMOs out there, EverQuest and Ultima Online and even Runescape 2 all predate it, it'll get another decade of work outta the current system.
Time sunk fallacy. People like myself will continue to play this game even if it is a pile of trash.

I give this game 20 more years. Unless something much better comes along.
11/10/2018 12:32 PMPosted by Vãrick
Closed. WoW 2 taking over.

Genuinely in 10 years I don't think this game can progress much further. It's getting really chaotic with stat squishes every expansion, level bloat, etc.

There's so much dead content in wow, I'd imagine they eventually look at starting over as a better alternative to expanding on something that isn't working as well as it should.

When do you think that will happen? Also how do you think they will transfer over? Something like guild wars? Reserving character names? Some measure of transferred progress? Or fresh cut over?
i can see tons of people playing on a tiny minuscule handheld device while they are sitting on the crap throne.

What the hell. say it ain't so!
Imo i believe a game like WoW won't die, it will adapt to meet the player market.
The idea of me playing with my son and going "See this character? He was raidin' with yer mother before I raided yer mother an looted you!" is so hillarious, I hope it is so.
WoW won't be around. Or will be stagnant at a very low sub count.

That said, if they stop treating expansions as open beta tests and begin to develop the open world more to better deliver a MMO RPG experience then it might still have life.

But if you don't and keep pushing people into every content with random individuals - - - where no one talks and things are timed then I don't see this game having much of a life beyond the next 10 years because everyone are introverts it seems - freaking out when someone actually jokes around or says something in chat.

With zero accountability, and the access to the LFG system - no one matters - experiences don't matter - enjoyment doesn't matter because it's always about finishing quickly, saying nothing, and no worry of not finding someone to fill a spot that the rest of the people had said person kicked from. That in of itself isn't sustainable in the long run for an MMO. It might work in Fortnite, or Overwatch or League of Legends but the games key issues will only get worse and deter newer individuals.
Same as it ever was.

Next expac will be better, expac after that will be worse.
11/10/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Bigalsgaming
How do you think it will evolve? Do you think it will still be an active game with monthly subscription fees? Free to play with freemium? Dumped in favor of a new MMO?

Love to pick the best minds here. Do we really think it would hit an unprecedented 25th anniversary and keep trucking?

During beta I said if it goes live in its current state the game would face massive unsibs with in 3 months and I was right. Basically nothing I say matters to blizz though despite being right quite often.
11/10/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Kekeyo
WoW is old but not ancient like some other MMOs out there, EverQuest and Ultima Online and even Runescape 2 all predate it, it'll get another decade of work outta the current system.

Are any of those games still releasing content updates and major expansions?
I personally hope within the next few years they release a new RTS version of Warcraft not a reforged one. Tie in whatever expansion this game is on with patch releases to the RTS. RTS then leads into WoW 2.

Or the RTS somehow shows evolution of Warcraft was really just the beginning of Starcraft then boom! World of Starcraft.

Because Draeni totally just look like less evolved Protoss.
I"Ll still be leveling and qq the forums lol
Did you say decade? decade right? that's 10 years from now you realize that.

I doubt the game in its form will last another 2 honestly unless they begin to LISTEN to players that subscribe.
With other games coming out WC3, classic, d4 persistent world type game at some point, population of retail wow will decline. No dungeon gear progression (lfd) for causal puggers mean pita trying to get groups together/get into a group. Mythic dungeon community isn't exactly a warm welcoming/inviting/friendly sort of bunch. Its a failed experiment to go back dungeon grouping a la vanilla. Why agonize over group content formation when other games are available that you can actually be engaged with gameplay?

Blizzard will eventually have to offer a Netflix type of all-game-access type of subscription to keep WoW population numbers. It could be something like included equivalent value in packs/mo, hero/cosmetic/mo across all games, free wc3 for annual sub, etc.
Explore the world. Each new spot you explore costs 1 energy and requires your hero, or heroes, to be a certain level. Gain 1 energy every 30 minutes. Energy packs can be bought with gold (which is available via real money).

Level your heroes up via the mission board. It takes minutes, sometimes hours, sometimes days worth of time waiting for a quest to be completed. Skip the wait by purchasing gold. 3000 gold for just $29.99 **BEST DEAL**

Oh dear, your hero died. Wait 4 hours for your character to run back to your corpse, or skip the wait instantly by purchasing a rez. Just $2.99

Unlock additional characters/character slots: costs conscription notices (which can be bought with gold which cost real money)

Send your heroes to gathering nodes on the map. Gathering takes some time, but for those that don't want to wait, skip it with gold (which can be purchased with real money).

Use the materials you gather to forge armor, weapons, items, etc... Crafting takes some time, but for those that don't want to wait, skipping the wait is just a few short clicks away for gold. Gold costs real money

Want an xp boost? Just 5.99 for a WHOLE month that increases xp gains by 20% and gold rewards from quests by 10% and reduces resources needed for crafting things by 5%.

Increase your energy pool by purchasing a mount. Various mounts are available. The more you pay, the larger your energy pool will be. Prices range from $9.99-24.99 per month

Gear your hero or heroes. Send them into dungeons and hope they are able to succeed. If they do, there is a chance they might get loot! Purchase extra loot rolls for real money. Dungeons take a fair bit of time to complete. Why wait? Buy gold with real money and skip it! Costs dungeon charms (which you can buy with gold that costs real money)

Having a tough time beating a dungeon or a quest? Buy gear bundles and make your heroes stronger!

uncommon bundle: contains 3 uncommon items, chance for them to uprade to rare. Just $19.99

rare bundle: containts 4 items of rare quality items, chance for them to upgrade to epic!. Just $49.99

Epic bundle. Some of the finest gear in all the land. contains 5 pieces of epic gear. Could you discover a weapon or piece of armor mentioned only in legend? Just $79.99

Want to raid? Just spam invite requests to those on your contact list. People won't be annoyed or remove you. They'll be super excited to join in the fun because we have some of our best devs working on a full fledged and richly created mobile version that compares to the real wow in every way. You won't be able to tell the difference!
11/10/2018 12:35 PMPosted by Bigalsgaming
When do you think that will happen?

Blizzard has talked about the idea of a Level Squish instead of a stat squish, so I figure after a level squish, and like 3 more expansions or something they'll start to look at new alternatives.

Or potentially, after a new game builds enough of a foundation for blizzard to make another MMORPG. Like idk, Warcraft 4 or something. (really stretching there.)

11/10/2018 12:35 PMPosted by Bigalsgaming
Some measure of transferred progress? Or fresh cut over?

I think it'd be a combination of this. Kind of like importing Mass Effect save files into mass effect 2, but more like a combined Legacy Achievement. Maybe imported transmogs or something and an alternative starting zone. "Having Survived the conflict that ended Azeroth, you and your companions step forward in search of a new home." type thing.
IMO WoW seems to be strangling on the end of the vine. It doesn't seem to be getting infusion of new GOOD ideas for content or game play.