AH deflation

Professions
I had been making my money by selling herbs. I make potions too but make more on the herbs themselves. However now the prices have fallen dramatically. I don't make near the money I was. I could rely on making 50-70k per week before now I am making about 10-14k. Huge drop.

I can only play this game by using gold to buy tokens. That is now becoming extremely difficult. Any suggestions on what to do to make enough money to pay my subscription?
Diversify.

Players are finished leveling professions, supposedly there is a drop in the player base now that returning players have seen the new content, and demand for raw materials is simply decreasing as a result, with prices starting to normalize to the "standard" levels for this expansion.

Flasks and potions might now start breaking even or turning a profit, so look into investing more into them. Check herb prices on your server, dreamleaf from Legion might still be valuable to scribes making glyphs. Consider dropping herbalism for a second crafting profession or level a DH alt (starts at 98) if this is your only character.

Hopefully others can chime in with additional ideas.
This was fairly inevitable but I am seeing some optimistic signs Blizzard is aware of it and is going to adjust as we go further into the expansion.

BfA was obviously set up as a deflationary expansion after two previous expansions of extreme inflation. In/Deflation doesn't actually have much to do with professions directly, and it is important to remember this. With professions, we shuffle gold around between us, but we don't make very much new gold. New gold only comes from drops and quest rewards and vendored goods, and those were all heavily throttled in this expansion.

A lot of people will say "hey, I've had no trouble making gold with Herbs/Alch/BoEs/crafted item of choice so far". The crafted economy is a trailing indicator. People still had lots of gold after Legion. You were taking it from them. And now they are starting to... well, not really run out, but realise the deflation is happening, and stop wanting to buy as much stuff. There isn't going to be a crafting solution to people not wanting to spend gold on crafts.

But - we've seen them crank up the gold rewards from emissaries. They added some 100+125 gold missions to the boards that only had 70+85 before (which is still pathetic but at least it shows awareness).

From the individual perspective, deflationary economies mean you need to be razor sharp with your margins and super competitive. It's not fun to play economic PvP in deflation. We all feel it. So I supplement by doing as much "new gold" generating activity as I have time for. I do every gold emissary on all my alts. I run old raids. I farm vendor gold where I can (Savage Blood -> gold bags, Frostweed -> WoD Alchemy trinket, other WoD herbs -> Cards of Omen, etc). It is nothing like the golden firehose of the Legion mission board but it keeps the ledger moving in the right direction.
I had been making my money by selling herbs. However now the prices have fallen dramatically.

This happens every expansion. It is highly predictable. Herb prices are high at the very start, then drop to 50 silver to 3 gold for most herbs, and stay there for years. The same happens with Skinning and Mining.

In WoD, every herb dropped to 5g or less within 2 weeks. In Legion it took several weeks. In BFA we are still above that after 3 months, but in the 6-10g range for most herbs.

I am a dual gatherer (herb/ore) at the start of an expansion, then have to find other ways to make gold. I look around for recipes that are profitable, like Haspian says. I don't know what is best right now -- only that it will change next month.

I am still making darkmoon cards in BFA, but AH sale prices have dropped a lot, and there is so much undercutting now that it's hard to sell anything. With herb prices low now, I buy the herbs instead of farming them, dropping my profit in half.
Thanks for the responses. I am unsure exactly what to do but I'll have to find something.
Devs posted their ultimate goal is all herbs including anchor weed will be under 10 silver each and same with ore and leather.
11/13/2018 09:53 PMPosted by Sonagen
Devs posted their ultimate goal is all herbs including anchor weed will be under 10 silver each and same with ore and leather.

Source? Or are you just making up lies?
11/14/2018 06:46 AMPosted by Haspian
11/13/2018 09:53 PMPosted by Sonagen

Source? Or are you just making up lies?

Discussed many times that the price gouging is hurting the community so they have been looking at ways to control it. Best way is to remove gathering professions and make consumables/trade goods etc purchased at static vendor for a fixed price. Everyone wins and the community grows against manipulative capitalists.
11/14/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Sonagen
Discussed many times that the price gouging is hurting the community so they have been looking at ways to control it. Best way is to remove gathering professions and make consumables/trade goods etc purchased at static vendor for a fixed price. Everyone wins and the community grows against manipulative capitalists.

Again, source? If frequently discussed, it should be easy for you to find some source or Blizzard stating something remotely like this.
So tried searching something as simple as "Blizzard removing Gathering Professions."

Only recent hit is an EU thread from July 2018. The responses all reference Blizzard wanting Gathering to be a choice you can make. Nothing about removing them.

So will second Haspian. Source, Sonagen?