Server population !!!!!!

Classic Discussion
People really want 2500 server sizes? You know blizzard would need 400 servers per million people right? With no shards.. I'd hate to be blizzard because they CAN'T do both.
11/13/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Plewtoe
People really want 2500 server sizes? You know blizzard would need 400 servers per million people right? With no shards.. I'd hate to be blizzard because they CAN'T do both.

They could give retail a mega server, and let vanilla players buy classic. Then you would only need 20-40 classic servers, and a sharded mega server.

There might be 50-100k actual vanilla players that intend to play classic. Millions of retailers will try it and quit within weeks. This isn't a new MMO.
11/13/2018 11:23 PMPosted by Skjaldbjorn

They could give retail a mega server, and let vanilla players buy classic. Then you would only need 20-40 classic servers, and a sharded mega server.

There might be 50-100k actual vanilla players that intend to play classic. Millions of retailers will try it and quit within weeks. This isn't a new MMO.

1.4 million play private servers...
People really want 2500 server sizes?

I mean people can want things, but this is one of those things that is so silly it can be dismissed out of hand.
11/13/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Plewtoe

Lol, no, no they don't.

There are three blizzlike pserver projects with real followings
E-~5k active players
LH-~20k active players
K-cant find good info, seems no more than 15k

E and LH can be confirmed by vanillaradar, can't find one for K. From what I can find though I know it is less than LH.

Accounts created does not mean active players.

Citation needed.
11/13/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Xukon
People really want 2500 server sizes?

I mean people can want things, but this is one of those things that is so silly it can be dismissed out of hand.

You realize vanilla was balanced around this server cap right?

There are 6 world bosses, many of which drop much needed resistance gear. If you double the server cap to 5k you will also double the number of guilds competing over this. You are also increasing the number of people farming ore/herbs, most of which have 45m respawn times. Increasing the server cap is no little thing.
We don't want server caps of 2500, we want server caps of whatever they were in Vanilla... and nobody except Blizzard knows exactly how it worked back then.

There were more than a million players back then, and we had enough servers to play.
11/14/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Kherusaan
We don't want server caps of 2500, we want server caps of whatever they were in Vanilla... and nobody except Blizzard knows exactly how it worked back then.

There were more than a million players back then, and we had enough servers to play.

Player caps in vanilla were about 2500-3000 players. This means at any given time in vanilla only 2500-3000 people could play on a server at a time. This does not mean only 2500-3000 people could have characters on a server at a time.
From what I understand, no official information was released.

I do believe concurrent player cap was 2.5-3k at the start of Vanilla, with up to 25k players allowed to create characters on server.. although this is taking massive liberties, and not getting reliable sources for these rumors. I also believe that the player cap (i.e. number of players allowed to log in at the same time) was increased towards the end of Vanilla to combat the lesser number of players in low level zones, and to help new players have a better chance of having someone to group up with while levelling.

I'd love to see something official released about how many players were allowed to log in, to Kalimdor, to Eastern Kingdoms, to Instances, at the same time. And also to see if Blizzard were planning to keep the numbers the same for Classic, as it was for Vanilla.
When we talk about the cap, it’s the amount of players who can be online simultaneously on a server. Not the total amount of people who can create characters on a server. There can be many more players with characters on a server than there are online at any given time. Not sure if there even is a cap on that. Point being, they would need far fewer servers than 400 per million people. Maybe less than a hundred. Servers are likely virtualized anyway, so it wouldn’t be a problem.

Also, They are trying to recreate Vanilla. So around 2.5k would be the correct -concurrent- player cap for an authentic experience. The plan isn’t to greatly change design decisions made by the original developers, so it would be somewhat surprising if were to implement significant changes to a server cap which was limited by design, and which many other aspects are depending on. I suppose it is possible Blizzard decide to go full-on #prochanges, but it isn’t the impression they’ve let on so far.
11/14/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Kherusaan

Blizzard have already confirmed those were more or less the accurate concurrent player caps (they were able to adjust them), so these are simply well-known facts rather than hidden secrets.
I Hope they cap each server at 1250.
I Hope they up the respawn timers.
and just for !@#$s and giggles i hope they double the gold drop rate :)

Dream big !!

this is not true, there are less than 100k active on private servers

what? i haven’t found any private servers that have more that 1 - 4k per server. Most only have 2 - 4 servers.
11/14/2018 06:33 AMPosted by Abreya

what? i haven’t found any private servers that have more that 1 - 4k per server. Most only have 2 - 4 servers.

Nah,nah this is classic the superior game 1.4m is underplaying it we're talking Tens of millions at launch!
Max population caps are suspected to be around 2.5k at the start of vanilla and estimated closer to 4k towards tbc pre-patch. That's online logged in players congruently, not total 'active' players or subs per server.

Honestly, anything around the ballpark of 3k is fine. Personally, I'd be interested in looking for a 'medium' pop server for personal reasons, but to each their own. Some people like the larger pop, but anything above 4k starts to break the game for the worse.
5k is a good choice to server population.

Not smaller as original cap, that will need make do much servers

Not are a mega populated server...
ou know blizzard would need 400 servers per million people right?

Where did you get this information?
11/13/2018 11:48 PMPosted by Skjaldbjorn
11/13/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Xukon

You realize vanilla was balanced around this server cap right?

There are 6 world bosses, many of which drop much needed resistance gear. If you double the server cap to 5k you will also double the number of guilds competing over this. You are also increasing the number of people farming ore/herbs, most of which have 45m respawn times. Increasing the server cap is no little thing.

You do realize this was not a SERVER CAP? Blizzard devs said multiple times that this was a hardware limitation not a CAP like you call it. They basically said that with today's technology they will be able to have a lot more people on one server.