Fallout 76

Games, Gaming and Hardware
This is troubling but I’m glad I’m finding out now instead of after buying it. I’ll still give it a shot though since I love Bethesda games but I’ll just wait til Cyber Monday to get it or something, instead of getting it today
Imagine taking everything that made a Fallout game good.

And then removing it. And making a looter/shooter with a fallout theme.

On the Gamebryo engine.

With micro-transactions.

Why would anyone even think it had a chance to be good?

There's not even any human NPC's in the game to give you quests.

It's not really any surprise that this game is still using Gamebryo, oops, they're calling it "Creation Engine" now. They're too familar with it to use anything else, and they are too lazy to do a complete rewrite of it to not make it hot garbage.

And, get ready for it, they're still gonna use it for their future games, including Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI.

The engine is complete trash, it deserves to be incinerated never to be used again. But Bethesda keeps adding minor graphical updates to it along with bandaid "fixes" that don't address the bigger problems the engine has. And we're stuck with it for at least 5 to 10 more years folks!
its bad dont fall for fake streamer and media hype
11/14/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Lahgtah
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Lathander
Did you play FO4? Because FO76 is literally a repacked FO4.

It's the same, but with more bugs.

Fo4 is also very similar to Fo3, though I'd rate Fo3 higher.

The point being that bethesda has still yet to make a fallout game true to what fallout used to be.

The most recent fallout game true to it is new vegas, specifically its addons(aside from honest hearts.) Dead money, Old world blues, and Lonesome road really hit the spot on the feel and atmosphere of what fallout should be. Perhaps even more than the base new vegas storylines themselves.

Dude I'm talking about base building in that context.
Fun with friends, but definitely beyond a good fallout game.
You're just a manbaby who can't get with the times. This is the future of gaming!

(Am I doing it right?)
11/14/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Felicious
Imagine taking everything that made a Fallout game good.

And then removing it. And making a looter/shooter with a fallout theme.

On the Gamebryo engine.

With micro-transactions.

Why would anyone even think it had a chance to be good?

There's not even any human NPC's in the game to give you quests.

It's not really any surprise that this game is still using Gamebryo, oops, they're calling it "Creation Engine" now. They're too familar with it to use anything else, and they are too lazy to do a complete rewrite of it to not make it hot garbage.

And, get ready for it, they're still gonna use it for their future games, including Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI.

The engine is complete trash, it deserves to be incinerated never to be used again. But Bethesda keeps adding minor graphical updates to it along with bandaid "fixes" that don't address the bigger problems the engine has. And we're stuck with it for at least 5 to 10 more years folks!

Is it really the game engine or just Bethesda's incompetence in general? Other games work fine on the Gamebryo engine, Catherine for example, but maybe it's just open-world RPGs in particular.
Saw that coming a mile away.
I've had to experience so many bad games over the years I've developed a sixth sense if a game is gonna be good or not.
Thank you Bruce Willis
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Is it really the game engine or just Bethesda's incompetence in general? Other games work fine on the Gamebryo engine, Catherine for example, but maybe it's just open-world RPGs in particular.

The engine is really old, MORROWIND old (16 years ago), and yes part of the reason for Bethesda games being buggy lies with Bethesda's incompetence.

Actually, the engine is even older than that. It was initially released back in 1997.
I am enjoying ARK Extinction. If you are a Fallout fan, I guess you will enjoy it playing with your friends. Me personally, I stick with Fallout 3 and 4 where I can use mods, and make the game better. One thing that annoys me, is that you can't play offline. Even in ARK or Conan you have the option to play offline if you choose to.
Never played any of the Fallout titles, and based on the reviews... I won’t be starting with this one.

It seems that gaming companies recognize that there’s an MMO vacuum waiting to be filled, and definitely want to cash in on it...but they still think that they can have their cake and eat it too by creating weak games packed to the brim with microtransactions, and then they wonder why their games fail.

Probably because gamers are “entitled” or something.
My assumption would be that the game is a typical Bethesda Bug Fest. But since it's online, there would be no mods the community could make to fix it.

So it's like playing any Bethesda game without general crash and bug fixes. So it's !@#$.
So I’ve played the beta and some of the release, hopefully I can give you guys some info you’re looking for.

1) The game does have story. I’ll avoid spoiling major components but there are a lot of audio logs and text documents with lore from before and after the bombs fell. There’s also various factions you can join by enlisting usually by automated computer system or a robot.

2) The microtransactions are lackluster. If you’re going to put something like that in a game at least make it something desireable. But that’s not what they did so the cash shop seems even more out of place. You don’t need anything from it though, and frankly you don’t want anything from it.

3) The game has a lot of various bugs (from a Bethesda game, shocking I know!) The only gamebreaking one I’ve found was an elevator that threw me into an infinite loading screen.

4) The game’s actually fun so far. I’ve been playing with buddies and we’ve been having a blast. The weapon variety is pretty big especially as you get into later levels.

5) Base building sucks right now. Your stash limit is woefully inadequate to store any meaningful amount of items and the “base budget” is too restricting to be creative with your camp.

TL;DR: I’m having fun but if you’re on the fence I’d recommend you just wait.
So I’ve played the beta and some of the release, hopefully I can give you guys some info you’re looking for.

1) The game does have story. I’ll avoid spoiling major components but there are a lot of audio logs and text documents with lore from before and after the bombs fell. There’s also various factions you can join by enlisting usually by automated computer system or a robot.

2) The microtransactions are lackluster. If you’re going to put something like that in a game at least make it something desireable. But that’s not what they did so the cash shop seems even more out of place. You don’t need anything from it though, and frankly you don’t want anything from it.

3) The game has a lot of various bugs (from a Bethesda game, shocking I know!) The only gamebreaking one I’ve found was an elevator that threw me into an infinite loading screen.

4) The game’s actually fun so far. I’ve been playing with buddies and we’ve been having a blast. The weapon variety is pretty big especially as you get into later levels.

5) Base building sucks right now. Your stash limit is woefully inadequate to store any meaningful amount of items and the “base budget” is too restricting to be creative with your camp.

Ultimate cringe.
11/14/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Lathander

Ultimate cringe.

I’m not saying it’s good, but it’s there. A couple of the factions make sense with that structure but the rest are a little lame. I don’t know how these automated systems function but boy do they bring in the recruits!

That being said there is more than zero story, which is more than I was expecting. It’s actually not horrible writing either.
So all those “I’m outta here guys for Fallout 76” will be back in force to complain more about WoW?
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Lathander
11/14/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Mvura
Hmm .. might have to wait a bit to see how it gets refined. Unfortunate.

Is the base building any good at least?

Did you play FO4? Because FO76 is literally a repacked FO4.

It's the same, but with more bugs.

I did - and I enjoyed that one. So that's good news i guess.

As for bugs - its bethesda. It wouldn't be a bethesda game without a horde of bugs
11/14/2018 08:40 AMPosted by Lathander
No, it's just bad.

It's Bethesda's Diablo mobile.

$5 For a blue pipboy. A lot of really sleezy microtransactions we're datamined already.

The game isn't about Fallout fans, it's about milking money out of people just like Fallout Shelter was.

exactly this, in fact I quit ESO because the DLC + microtransactions were over the top, I mean there is making money and then you have this piece of trash
Honestly I couldn't help but laugh at the majority of the reviews on Metacritic. Valid bug complaints aside, their complaints showed they didn't look into the game and what Bethesda was telling us it would be, even in the slightest, and expected it to be like Fallout 3/4.
11/14/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Ignala

I agree with you on all these points. My husband is a huge Fallout fan and bought the game. His complaints are exactly what you said.

He is having fun but not spending as much time playing as I thought he would. He also has not talked me into getting it.