Fallout 76

Games, Gaming and Hardware
11/14/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Sy
There's not even any human NPC's in the game to give you quests.

its a survival game.
11/14/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Dirge
So all those “I’m outta here guys for Fallout 76” will be back in force to complain more about WoW?
Probably. I have never understood the mindset of “early adopters”, especially when it comes to video games.

I almost pre-ordered No Man’s Sky and laughed when the reviews started rolling in. The only game I have ever pre-ordered was BfA, and we all know how that went.

Seriously, stop giving companies a financial incentive to phone it in.
Im enjoying it, i didnt expect it to be like other fallout's more so like a day z type
survival game its almost like they wanted to break the mold of what their other fallout games are and try something different maybe actiblizz should take notes and stop just reskinning everything, looking at the CoD blackops skins as an example.

TLDR not everything is made for you
did fallout 76 really flop on its butt and become a giant microtransaction machine
11/14/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Kathyna
11/14/2018 08:40 AMPosted by Lathander
No, it's just bad.

It's Bethesda's Diablo mobile.

$5 For a blue pipboy. A lot of really sleezy microtransactions we're datamined already.

The game isn't about Fallout fans, it's about milking money out of people just like Fallout Shelter was.

exactly this, in fact I quit ESO because the DLC + microtransactions were over the top, I mean there is making money and then you have this piece of trash

ESO is already a bad game, the fact that they charge you every time they release a dungeon is a joke. That was the final straw for me, 500+ hours into that game and I don’t see myself touching it again
11/14/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Vendreck
did fallout 76 really flop on its butt and become a giant microtransaction machine

It seems disappointing to the fanzillas.

Not sure i'd call it a flop.
It's a victim of review bombing, and you can easily tell even in this thread because it's the same exact points with no actual gameplay knowledge. There is a story, and it's actually pretty engaging, it just requires reading, listening, and searching instead of being handheld and fed cutscenes and character "theater" sets. There are also NPC's, just not human ones. Also, the world isn't empty, in typical Bethesda fashion you can't sneeze without hitting some PoI.

The game has it's faults though. The building is actually less involved than Fallout 4...I mean yeah, I'm not trying to build an entire settlement but there are less snap points and you need a specialized stair model to create multiple stories on your home. Also, like I said, finding a good area to build is a pain because there are too many Bethesda Style PoI's. You can put locks on your doors once you do find an area to build, but it's pointless since your inventory stash is tied to you personally and you can't create containers not linked to it.

It has leveled items so your pipe pistol at level 1 and the one you find at level 20 are two entirely different weapons so you can't share weapon mods. Most of the clothing items are worn over your armor now so it's pretty much vault suit and armor or some silly costume, but I suppose that's a cash shop decision.

There is lore breaking, but I mean, Bethesda has broken the lore since Fallout 3 so at this point making it an argument is a losing battle. Oddly enough though most people bringing this up are Bethesda Fallout fans now instead of the Interplay Fallout fans. The whole no human NPC thing is obviously a gimmick for release, but you can see, if you actually follow the story, that we'll start running into survivors once they start expanding the map/world. Having things being player driven in that regard would be nice but the tools and vehicles for it just aren't there yet. The game def needs text chat since the mic chat is jarring, and their obvious knee-jerk to "griefing" worries from the single-player crowd really really limits any real conflict to be had from other players.

All in all, it's a solid B as far as games go. Not as bad as it's being made out to be, there's just a lot of angry Bethesda fans right now thinking this is the death of #saveplayer1, but it's not without it's faults either.

As far as survival games though it's leaps and bounds above everything else currently popular in the genre. Just don't go into it expecting it to be "skyrim with guns and friends" since it's focus is def an online multiplayer game. If you've ever played a MUD, this feels more in line with that design philosophy than what MMO's ended up becoming.
11/14/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Mvura
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Lathander

Did you play FO4? Because FO76 is literally a repacked FO4.

It's the same, but with more bugs.

I did - and I enjoyed that one. So that's good news i guess.

As for bugs - its bethesda. It wouldn't be a bethesda game without a horde of bugs

Of the fallout games so far released I've found F04 to be the most stable/least buggy. There are bugs of course, but I've fallen through the world less often in F04 then I did in Fo3.

There is another difference in the building, atleast from what I've read, other players can destroy what you build while they try to kill you. That's what I'm waiting to hear more on. How their open pvp is working and what they'll do when they discover their bounty system won't prevent the griefing it was designed to stop.
11/14/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Vendreck

If you consider looking "pretty" to be the beginning of a giant microtransaction machine. I use the term "pretty" loosely. You collect Atom from regularly occurring challenges in game to then purchase cosmetic items such as outfits, photomode glamour, decorations for your base, emotes etc. If you don't feel like earning Atom in game you can also buy it.
11/14/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Hellasha
11/14/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Mvura

I did - and I enjoyed that one. So that's good news i guess.

As for bugs - its bethesda. It wouldn't be a bethesda game without a horde of bugs

Of the fallout games so far released I've found F04 to be the most stable/least buggy. There are bugs of course, but I've fallen through the world less often in F04 then I did in Fo3.

There is another difference in the building, atleast from what I've read, other players can destroy what you build while they try to kill you. That's what I'm waiting to hear more on. How their open pvp is working and what they'll do when they discover their bounty system won't prevent the griefing it was designed to stop.

Lol, pvp is an absolute joke. Anyone who actually has played Fallout 76 knows the griefing argument is laughable. Bethesda went too far in their knee-jerk reaction to this honestly. You can even hop into a different "world" shard to avoid base attacks.
So I’ve played the beta and some of the release, hopefully I can give you guys some info you’re looking for.

5) Base building sucks right now. Your stash limit is woefully inadequate to store any meaningful amount of items and the “base budget” is too restricting to be creative with your camp.

TL;DR: I’m having fun but if you’re on the fence I’d recommend you just wait.

I wouldn’t worry about stash space. Zenimax, Beth’s parent company, solved it in ESO online. I would look for something similar here. Design a game where you want to pick everything up. Limit storage space. Then sell a sub package that double storage space, and give access to an virtually unlimited crafting bag for crafting items.

It is often the most given reason on the ESO forums for why they sub. While I don’t know that it will be tied to any sort of bonus for subbing in fallout, Zenimax knows people will pay for it. So I would look for it coming to a store near you.

Edits- Although since you bring up base restrictions too... ESO plus, also doubles the number of items you can place in your house. So maybe they are following the exact same model. Fallout Plus! Only 14.99 a month!
11/14/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Wrathu
So I’ve played the beta and some of the release, hopefully I can give you guys some info you’re looking for.

5) Base building sucks right now. Your stash limit is woefully inadequate to store any meaningful amount of items and the “base budget” is too restricting to be creative with your camp.

TL;DR: I’m having fun but if you’re on the fence I’d recommend you just wait.

I wouldn’t worry about stash space. Zenimax, Beth’s parent company, solved it in ESO online. I would look for something similar here. Design a game where you want to pick everything up. Limit storage space. Then sell a sub package that double storage space, and give access to an virtually unlimited crafting bag for crafting items.

It is often the most given reason on the ESO forums for why they sub. While I don’t know that it will be tied to any sort of bonus for subbing in fallout, Zenimax knows people will pay for it. So I would look for it coming to a store near you.

Edits- Although since you bring up base restrictions too... ESO plus, also doubles the number of items you can place in your house. So maybe they are following the exact same model. Fallout Plus! Only 14.99 a month!

This fills me with great concern. They said in the beta that they realized the stash limit was a problem; I sincerely hope that their solution to that problem isn’t what you say it could be. That’d be the final nail in the coffin for a LOT of people, probably myself included.
I approached FO76 the way I approached ESO: It's a side game unconnected with the continuity of the main franchise line. Don't think of it as a traditional Fallout game or expect the same components you'd find in FO3/FNV/FO4. If you haven't played the Fallout series before, don't start with this game.

This is a Bethesda title, so there will be bugs at launch. The microtransactions are mostly cosmetic, and those items are fully obtainable just by playing the game. Bethesda has been pretty good about keeping their microtransactions completely optional and unnecessary for QoL in their games (I had fun playing Fallout Shelter for a long time and never spent a dime on it).

Many developers are branching out into different markets right now, so I don't fault Bethesda for trying this one out. I'll only really be unhappy if the main Fallout and Elder Scrolls games begin to reflect the features of these MMO projects.

If you're still on the fence about FO76 despite the reviews, I'd say wait until it's discounted and has some of the bugs fixed before trying it out. Just treat it as a standalone title and a different genre than the main Fallout line, and you might have fun with it.
11/14/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Tymberlea
Wrong forum. This area is for World of Warcraft. The section you are looking for is here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/2721885/

nah this is a good spot, thank you for your unneeded input though!
11/14/2018 08:40 AMPosted by Lathander
No, it's just bad.

It's Bethesda's Diablo mobile.

$5 For a blue pipboy. A lot of really sleezy microtransactions we're datamined already.

The game isn't about Fallout fans, it's about milking money out of people just like Fallout Shelter was.

Except no it isn't.

The game is fun if you want a survival game in the fallout universe. Plays very much like Fallout 4, just a lack of NPCs.

The building in it is pretty cool, but finicky i find, as anything can disrupt where you place your objects (rocks, tree's, rubble, etc...) but you can build almost anywhere. I find the game is similar to Rust, except you can't have all your stored stuff jacked from ya.

The microtransactions are comestic only, you can get atom points from playing the game, thus they are not required to be bought (as the person i quoted insinuated)

My friends and I are thoroughly enjoying it, and a lot of the reviews i have read are either about:

A) Fallout 76 not on steam
B) Console versions having a massive update to fix a ton of bugs
C) Microtransactions that don't affect the game
D) Bethesda being Bethesda
E) Lack of NPCs (only real genuine gripe about the game)

Not a lot of the reviews out are about the game itself, or are about how buggy it can be (Which any game on release day after a short beta usually are, and it is Bethesda, so this is a given). Only bugs i've come across is I couldn't scrap two walls because they supported each other, and when i died, my loot bag fell through the world and i couldn't get the junk back, neither of which make or break a game (unless you are an idiot and horde you don't stash junk often).