SELF HEALING!

General Discussion
oh isn't that cute, op is throwing a tantrum.
I have actually healed quite a bit in BFA. Its nothing like Cata but i have saved people in raid who outrange heals to drop clouds on Zek'voz or tanks taking blood out on Zul.
yeah no, self healing is part of my rotation... also we put lock rocks down for a reason.
Word of Glory has saved many a wipes.
10/06/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Phoebrind
if you aren't a healer, you NEVER heal, its not a dps's or a tanks job to heal, EVER! ive been saying this for YEARS NOW!! do something

But every creature's primal instinct is self-preservation. It's hardwired in every sentient being. You can't fight it!
I can't believe this thread made 3 pages. Oops I added to it, oh well good job on taking the 'boss' roll and telling us numbskulls what to do.
Since i don't need to push my dps to hypercompetive levels, I tend to pick up the self-healing and shielding options from azerite gear and it quickly adds up to a nice sustain bubble.
Sounds to me like the OP has never actually played a healer before... They can't keep everyone topped up all the time and when push comes to shove they have to make a split second decision on who to prioritize heals to. When that happens, everyone else is expected to use their own means of self healing to survive. If you won't use your own self healing as a DPS, then YOU are the only one to blame when you die because the healer was focusing on someone else.

I actually main healers. When those moments come and I have to decide who I'm going to heal, this is what goes through my head, and in this order.

1) How low is the tank?
2) Is another Healer near death?
3) Can the tank survive a few moments while I heal a DPS?
4) Who's the lowest?
5) Are they out of danager?
6) Can they survive on their own?
7) Do they have a self heal?
8) What is their armor class?
9) Are they melee or ranged?

I go down that list to determine who to prioritize heals to. Now if that series of questions doesn't paint a clear image, here's a priority list that is made from the answers to those questions.

1) Myself
2) Tank
3) Other Healers
4) Lowest Health Melee DPS without a means to save themselves
5) Lowest Health Ranged DPS without a means to save themselves
6) Lowest Health Melee DPS with lightest armor class
7) Lowest Health Ranged DPS with lightest armor class
8) Lowest Health Melee DPS
9) Lowest Health Ranged DPS

Now, you may wonder, "why is myself top priority when my own health wasn't even on my question list?" Simple. If I die, who am I healing? No one, so it goes without question, that as a healer I should make sure I am at a survivable health first and foremost. Do I heal myself to full before I heal the tank? Of course not, I weave self heals in between heals to the tank after ensuring that I'm atleast over 30% health unless the tank is on the brink of death, then I will push their health and hope I can avoid damage long enough to get myself up as well.

DPS need to actually ask themselves the same question instead of blindly pushing thier DPS. "If I die, who am I damaging?" You want to contribute to your party? HEAL YOURSELF WHEN YOU NEED IT. Make sure you live to continue doing DPS. The healer is focusing on the party's health as a whole, and if your not receiving heals from them it is because someone else is a greater priority for heals than yourself. And your location on the DPS meter doesn't actually factor, rather your potential to save yourself factors, if you can heal yourself you will be expected to heal yourself from time to time. Get over it and get used to it.
It's what's left of our class fantasy.
And we do not need another Arm Warrior...

But than again, if self-healing was completely removed, the hilarious Difference between a Blood Death Knight and Arm Warrior would be one of them hitting like wet noodles.
Am primarily a healer and Please heal yourselves, why wouldn't you want people to make your job easier so you can help dps?
if you aren't a healer, you NEVER heal, its not a dps's or a tanks job to heal, EVER! ive been saying this for YEARS NOW!! do something

Affliction would like to have a word and disagreement with you.

Keep your hands off my spec.
I just think it's funny this was posted by a demon hunter, one of the classes with the most self heals.

Pop meta, heal to full. Kill little mobs, heal to full. Am I tanking? Fracture, fracture, spirit bomb. Fracture, fracture, spirit bomb. Haven't passed the healer on the charts? Okay. META!, fracture, fracture spirit bomb. Full health again and top heals.
huh?
I WILL HEAL MYSELF any freakin time I WANT to, friend.
I hate players who dont SELF heal or mitigate then cry like little babies when they die because the healer couldnt keep up
10/06/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Nutts
Sounds to me like the OP has never actually played a healer before... They can't keep everyone topped up all the time and when push comes to shove they have to make a split second decision on who to prioritize heals to

Exactly.
The healer needs to focus as much as possible on the TANK.
ALL DPS players who CAN mitigate and self heal absolutely MUST do so when they get a second to so the healer can keep the tank alive.

I agree. I dont think the OP has healed a single time successfully.
As a Prot Paladin I throw out my Hand of the Protector whenever I can, and when I am Ret I throw out Flash of Lights in tough situations if the healer gets overwhelmed (Usually on the healer since many, not all, are too focused on everyone else and have nasty habits of letting themselves die trying to keep everyone else up)

Its all about working as a group and supporting each other if the situation calls for it. If I have the power to heal and the situation goes south, if I know I can make a difference, then I am going to do what I can to keep my group alive. Its a team game, not a you game.
Opinions are like anuses, everyone has at least one, and the only one that doesn't stink is your own.
But I like taking a bit of stress off the healer by healing myself or those in the red.

Says the DH that gets heals out of every kill... LOL

Also, you do realize that most situations, DPS and tanks are alone, right? Like open world content and questing.
I heal by osmosis. Either the mob gives me pieces of it's delicious soul, or some of my attacks just absorb it's living essence.
alright, i'll quit it with the help and just let the enemies kill me. guess i'll also stop using any mitigation tools at all.

you say you got it? know what? alright, i'll just que in as retribution but check the tank box and let you handle everything.

sound good, champ?