How demanding is Discord?

General Discussion
Wow uses a lot of my computer (Sorry I don't know any computer terms, I am a Neanderthal when it comes to computers) so I am somewhat nervous about downloading discord and having it running while my game is running. How demanding is it actually?
It's pretty light.

Comparable to running a web browser like chrome/Firefox/Internet explorer.
It’s certainly lightweight enough to use without fear.

Also, if it’s bogging down your network, there’s setting you may adjust so it lowers the network usage.
Download it and try it out. If you start lagging you’ll have your answer.
I don't notice a performance drop in WoW when I open Discord.
If it may interest you, there is also an app for your mobile devices so you can use Discord on your phone or tablet instead of the computer.
If you have a phone I would recommend using that instead

Edit: someone beat me to it! haha, but try the app it's great!
I hate using voice chats for gaming. (not just WoW)
I try to avoid them at all costs. I don't even have one installed on my pc right now.
10/24/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Nielamalyon

Ah, alas I don't use smartphones, I just know wow uses like 65% memory and with internet tab up it goes up to 70%
10/24/2018 08:53 AMPosted by Rottenman
10/24/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Nielamalyon

Ah, alas I don't use smartphones, I just know wow uses like 65% memory and with internet tab up it goes up to 70%

Hmm in that case I would recommend downloading it instead, as the others above have said before me it should be lighter compared to having it on your browser (which tends to eat up a lot of memory).

Whatever you choose though Good Luck! I know the struggle of gaming on low-end pc's.
One thing to remember with Discord - its overlay tends to crash Blizzard games and interfere with others. While the app itself is fairly lightweight in modern terms, you should make sure that the overlay is not running so you don't have problems with WoW when you're using Discord at the same time.
It's probably a good idea to disable the overlay (overlays in general can cause issues with WoW), but other than that you should have no issues. It's pretty lightweight. I find the UI presentation a little goofy, but it's a really solid and well-made piece of software and it's a lot more reliable than prior voice comms my guild has used were.

Definitely download it. The browser version has some limitations and issues and isn't ideal for gaming.
10/24/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Oleandra
It's probably a good idea to disable the overlay (overlays in general can cause issues with WoW), but other than that you should have no issues. It's pretty lightweight. I find the UI presentation a little goofy, but it's a really solid and well-made piece of software and it's a lot more reliable than prior voice comms my guild has used were.

Definitely download it. The browser version has some limitations and issues and isn't ideal for gaming.

What's a browser version mean?
10/24/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Rottenman
Wow uses a lot of my computer (Sorry I don't know any computer terms, I am a Neanderthal when it comes to computers) so I am somewhat nervous about downloading discord and having it running while my game is running. How demanding is it actually?

Its probably fine.

However, a suggestion.

Discord has a mobile app. If you're worried about keeping your machine's resources free, consider using the mobile app on local wifi.
It's pretty lightweight, actually.

I disabled the in-game overlay because I found it annoying, but otherwise, I haven't had any problems with Discord.
When I used it long ago, when you clicked the red X in the uooper right to shut it down, it kept running, and only minimized to the system tray. (Doing what?)
It was still possible to shut it down from the tray, but it's always made me suspicions.. (The X means shut down, not go hide somewhere.)
10/24/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Rottenman
What's a browser version mean?

Discord can be used from within a web browser. There is a version of Discord which runs in a browser. But for gaming it's not a good idea to use that version. Partly because this uses more resources than the standalone app itself, and partly because of its limitations when running in a browser. Just download the standalone app and you should be fine :)

When I used it long ago, when you clicked the red X in the uooper right to shut it down, it kept running, and only minimized to the system tray. (Doing what?)
It was still possible to shut it down from the tray, but it's always made me suspicions.. (The X means shut down, not go hide somewhere.)

There's an option to make it behave the way you want in the settings, I definitely prefer it to behave that way, as well. Probably a good idea for OP to do so as well since with a low-end rig you definitely don't want unnecessary stuff running when you're not actually using it.

Options > Windows Settings > Close Button > Minimize To Tray. Set the toggle switch to the left to turn that off and make it close instead of minimize.