Broken appearances collected tooltip

Bug Report
Since at least 8.0, many gear items won't have the tooltip listed on them that says you need to collect that appearance still, despite being true. I have equiped many items that did not have the tooltip, just to find out that the appearance has been added to my collection because it was not in it previously. I used to rely heavily on that tooltip for greens, as it would inform me if I should equip it on an appropriate character for the appearance, or if I should send it on to one of my enchanters to DE. Now I don't know, as it's completely NOT reliable in any way.

Latest example today on my druid was called Deepwarden Torch. This is a green BoE offhand that I found on my druid. No tooltip stating that I can equip to collect the appearance, so one must think I have it already? Nope, I equiped it because I realize this bug has been going on so long, and of course it told me I have now learned the appearance. If you are going to make a feature such as this in the game, please make it reliable. Currently I'm just assuming it's wrong every time, which is keeping me from getting more materials to DE which is going to make it much harder for me to level 2 enchanters in the long run.
Coldscale Saber of the [Quickblade]
also bugged
Gol Osigr Wand of the...
Foxhollow Leggings of the...
Coldscale Rod of the...
Sagehold Legwraps of the...
Saurifeather Mantle of the...
Sagehold Gloves of the...
Foxhollow Amice of the...

All appeared to be collected, but once equiped, said I learned the appearance. I checked my appearances tab and results seemed varied. Example, both Foxhollow Leggings and Sagehold Legwraps did not share appearance with other items in the drop downs (those are the only items using that skin). But, Saurifeather Mantle shows I had a shared appearance with Zanchuli Mantle already in that tab.