I suck at dpsing and keep getting booted from raids

General Discussion
Makes me sad :(

I mainly focus on tanking but I like to sometimes raid as dps. I'm not braindead so I'm able to listen to raid leaders and successfully do mechanics/focus adds and whatnot. However I always seem to be one of the scapegoats when things go bad because I'm one of the bottom dps. So I get kicked instead of the people who die within like 30 seconds because they can't move out of circles on the ground.

I guess I'll just stick with tanking. Or maybe make another character I can fully focus on getting gear for dpsing.
Then get better? I mean, low DPS is an issue in a nonguild run man. Does it suck? yep. There are addons that help you get better at dpsing. Try those.
Practice makes perfect. Plus, you're a DK. They rock right now.
11/01/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Edwærd
Then get better? I mean, low DPS is an issue in a nonguild run man. Does it suck? yep. There are addons that help you get better at dpsing. Try those.

I'm trying. I just really really hate frost/unholy and that's not helping. I really don't enjoy playing those specs at all which is why I focus on tanking on my DK. I think I'm better off having a separate character that I actually enjoy playing the dps specs.

It's mostly frustrating because the last instance of me being kicked there wasn't an issue with the group dps at all. We were one shotting bosses easily but then all of a sudden people just stopped paying attention to mechanics and they kept dying for no reason.
lots of ways to get better. Go to warcraftlogs, search the top dps of the spec/class. See the traits, trinkets, builds, and abilities they use the most for a given encounter then emulate that. Plenty more but that is usually a good start.
11/01/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Vorlith
I'm trying. I just really really hate frost/unholy and that's not helping. I really don't enjoy playing those specs at all which is why I focus on tanking on my DK. I think I'm better off having a separate character that I actually enjoy playing the dps specs.

I would do this. Try something you actually like doing rather than brute forcing frost or unholy.
I would suggest finding a friendly group of people, maybe an entry level, family friendly type guild who wont mind so much?
11/01/2018 07:23 AMPosted by Ryneon
Practice makes perfect. Plus, you're a DK. They rock right now.

Frost is supposed to be good right? I haven't heard a single good thing about unholy in raids. I just don't enjoy the Frost playstyle. It find it pretty boring waiting around for Breath of Sindragosa usages for my biggest dps windows.
OP you are trying to dps as dk that's your problem.
11/01/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Vorlith
Frost is supposed to be good right? I haven't heard a single good thing about unholy in raids. I just don't enjoy the Frost playstyle. It find it pretty boring waiting around for Breath of Sindragosa usages for my biggest dps windows.
Unholy isn't hot right now. If you're going to DPS as a DK, stick to Frost.
Look up some guides on Youtube.

Check out warcraft logs for each boss and see what the top DKs are using talent-wise on each boss.

You armory shows up at 362 item level which isn't bad, but your warcraft logs aren't that good.

Do you click? Try keybinding some abilities.

Wowhead and Icy veins usually have good guides on how to properly do your rotation as well as how to sort your character out.

Practice makes perfect, and it will take a while to fully understand the game.
11/01/2018 07:35 AMPosted by Sy
Look up some guides on Youtube.

Check out warcraft logs for each boss and see what the top DKs are using talent-wise on each boss.

You armory shows up at 362 item level which isn't bad, but your warcraft logs aren't that good.

Do you click? Try keybinding some abilities.

Wowhead and Icy veins usually have good guides on how to properly do your rotation as well as how to sort your character out.

Practice makes perfect, and it will take a while to fully understand the game.

Nah I don't click I just never play frost so when I'm going into raids I'm simply playing based on the guides I've read. My frost weapons are only 345 since I never get one handers while tanking so that doesn't help. But yeah it's mostly just me not being used to the spec and not really enjoying how you're supposed to play as frost dk.
Sometimes it's not you, it's the gear. This expansion is really odd with how a higher ilvl doesn't neccessarily contribute higher dps. Likewise the constant hotfix nerfing and buffing of azerite traits can gimp you from week to week.

Be sure to have a variety of gear, and mix and match until you find a solid "upgrade" that suits your spec and playstyle.
11/01/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Joegnar
This expansion is really odd with how a higher ilvl doesn't neccessarily contribute higher dps.

This is a huge issue, between the slot machine gauntlet on traits and most of the gear drops i see being loaded up with versatility, gearing up has been a pain in the butt this expansion, a lot of the pieces of gear im wearing i only used because they were like 20 or 30 item level "upgrades" and hard to keep ignoring but stat and trait wise they were terrible lol
11/01/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Vorlith
Makes me sad :(

I mainly focus on tanking but I like to sometimes raid as dps. I'm not braindead so I'm able to listen to raid leaders and successfully do mechanics/focus adds and whatnot. However I always seem to be one of the scapegoats when things go bad because I'm one of the bottom dps. So I get kicked instead of the people who die within like 30 seconds because they can't move out of circles on the ground.

I guess I'll just stick with tanking. Or maybe make another character I can fully focus on getting gear for dpsing.

Hi I play as Frost and Unholy and I would recommend looking at Icy Veins for the up to date stats and builds

Unholy needs Haste Critical Strike/Versatility, and Mastery.

Frost needs Mastery, Critical Strike, Versatility, Haste.

Gems and Enchants help as well.

The issue here is trying to GET gear that has Critical Strike and Haste. I had a very painful time playing as Unholy due to that. I switched over to Frost when I finally received 2 blue weapons one 330 and the other 325.

The sad thing is I did pick up the 2 handed sword from the raid and it was totally useless to unholy. your best bet is to do the Warfront and get the 2 handed weapon from it for unholy. I know the Horde one has Crit and Haste on it.
Join the DK disc or post your logs to the DK sub on here and they’ll help you improve.

The ultimate answer is learn to use your rotation better. If you’re complacent and don’t want to them, yes, you’re resigning to the potential of being kicked.
It’s great you like to dps but you still need to perform well in all aspects. If you’re underperforming by a lot even with good mech skills, you are being carried just as much as the bad mech are.
Hmm, I love all the specs but Blood is my Fav then frost. I recommend getting weak auras. It will help a lot and you can google weak aura import for DK that way it is set up pretty good until you can get the hang of it.
11/01/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Draxxzul
Hmm, I love all the specs but Blood is my Fav then frost. I recommend getting weak auras. It will help a lot and you can google weak aura import for DK that way it is set up pretty good until you can get the hang of it.

Yes and get recount or some other dps meter to see what you are doing for damage.
Get an addon like Hero rotation. Think of it as training wheels instead of crutches and soon you'll have the rotation down pat.
Go to Warcraftlogs.com and see what the top people of your spec are doing.