Sylvanas and Xal'atath

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
11/04/2018 07:50 AMPosted by Darethy
11/04/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Alurna

I think we need a source for this. I've seen it tossed around a lot and the closest I can think of is some undead in Northrend embedded in Sauronite Spikes to make them deadlier, though from what I understood, once forged, Sauronite lost it's corruptive power.

Anyways, Sylvanas claiming Xal'atath just feels like we're coming closer to her being the new Arthas. Arthas had Frostmourne, Sylvanas has Xal'atath.

I mean there is a small problem with that in that the knife is, well, EMPTY now.

So whats she gonna do with an empty old god prison?

Empty of Xal'atath. Empty of power? And who's to say Xal'atath cannot influence someone holding the dagger despite no longer being in it?
11/04/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Alurna

I mean there is a small problem with that in that the knife is, well, EMPTY now.

Empty of Xal'atath. Empty of power? And who's to say Xal'atath cannot influence someone holding the dagger despite no longer being in it?

Almost certainly not empty of power, and there's nothing to say she cannot influence someone who is wielding the knife, just that the blade seemed to largely be...well...a prison and there's nothing to indicate some sort of symbiotic relationship that she could call out to Sylvanas to.
Excerpt from the journal of Ogmot the Steadfast - Page 4:

"Today the smoke rose up from my campfire and took form."
"A shepherd, cloaked in the shadows of her past, beloved by a flock of blind sheep."
"They followed her footsteps without question. Without thought."
"She guided them over a cliff. Even as they crashed upon the rocks, they never doubted her."
"The crows grew fat upon sheep flesh. Her laughter echoed all around."

So ... who is the shepherd? Sylvanas? Jaina? Azshara?
So ... who is the flock? The Horde (or Forsaken)? The Alliance? The Naga?
Who has been cloaked in "the shadows of her past"?
Clearly Jaina is going to lead the Forsaken to their death.

No one would expect that.
Well Sylvanas is completely defined BY her past. Her death and raising at the hands of Arthas has been what's shaped her entire twisted perspective on the world going forward. Saurfang and a few objections from Baine aside, it seems the bulk of the Horde are still content to merrily trot along obeying her every whim....even when it comes to helping her create more undead when that should conflict with their cultural values (especially orcs and tauren). Heck...any blood elf character with any sense of ethics (like mine) should have a serious problem with what she's doing...since it's pretty much exactly what Arthas did to their people.
11/04/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Droité
"She guided them over a cliff. Even as they crashed upon the rocks, they never doubted her."
You know what I think? I think this is Azshara and the Kul Tiran navy, who crashes down into that big hole she opens into the ocean as they're sailing overhead in 8.2. It's already implied that she's either the Tidemother, or whispering to the Kul Tirans in her stead.

Imprison an Old God?
I think we need a source for this. I've seen it tossed around a lot and the closest I can think of is some undead in Northrend embedded in Sauronite Spikes to make them deadlier, though from what I understood, once forged, Sauronite lost it's corruptive power.

From what was gathered in wrath, the way I saw it was that saronite didn't have any affects on the scourge because they were mindless zombines. Other than Kel'thuzad and other willing cultists turned undead, majority of the scourge were enslaved to the Lich King. However free willed undead could still get the whispers from the old gods. Because they have free will.
11/04/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Vespero
Imprison an Old God?

Sylvanas would love to claim the power of N'Zoth and become the corrupter of Azeroth into a Void Titan!

So... We have two paths open to us: Alleria absorbs N'Zoth and corrupts Azeroth or Sylvanas absorbs N'Zoth and corrupts Azeroth... Either way N'Zoth is getting absorbed.

Darion said so again during the DK Legion campaign. Undeath halts madness and other mental issues. Old Gods drive people to insanity so they serve them. With undead that option is unavailable.

Its likely because their brains no longer function and old gods use psychic powers to drive them mad.

Doesn't mean that an undead would not willingly serve though I just dont think Sylvanas who HATES the void would.

That kinda rules Sylvanas out lots of doubt with her.

Imprison an Old God?

I’m not 100% sold on this as certain, or even 50% sold. But boy gee howdy would it be nice to have called this as all a big plot to !@#$ with the Void.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329725237438578688/508754713978601492/27ae2f72-6843-4fbd-9c3a-d3074df0c485.png

Context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6gBu2Zd7Bc
11/04/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Yersynia
...Imprison an Old God?

I’m not 100% sold on this as certain, or even 50% sold. But boy gee howdy would it be nice to have called this as all a big plot to !@#$ with the Void.

I was suspecting this, and I can see it going this way. Xal'Atath isn't in the knife anymore, so it does open up various possibilities of what can be done.

I just hope it isn't the stupid one: "Oh noOooOOoOOOoo she got corrupted! We must save her!" or the ever dreadful "Well she did save us, I guess everything she's done can be forgiven!"

I just want Sylvanas to be in control of what she does, and be unapologetic about it.
11/04/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Yersynia
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Blizz made it so that all of her actions up to this point were part of some grand scheme to defeat N'Zoth.
11/04/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Cantaloupe
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329725237438578688/508754713978601492/27ae2f72-6843-4fbd-9c3a-d3074df0c485.png

Context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6gBu2Zd7Bc

Lol, should have been Alleria over Jaina, but still funny.

I figure Sylvanas is going to either use the empty vessel to imprison Xal’atath again or maybe n’zoth. What she plans to do with said Old God juju is beyond me.
11/02/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Bronnix
Well since the dagger is empty since the spirit is freed from it what does Sylvanas want with it?
Capture an old god as a power source for her evil plans.

11/04/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Droité
Excerpt from the journal of Ogmot the Steadfast - Page 4:

"Today the smoke rose up from my campfire and took form."
"A shepherd, cloaked in the shadows of her past, beloved by a flock of blind sheep."
"They followed her footsteps without question. Without thought."
"The crows grew fat upon sheep flesh. Her laughter echoed all around."

So ... who is the shepherd? Sylvanas? Jaina? Azshara?
So ... who is the flock? The Horde (or Forsaken)? The Alliance? The Naga?
Who has been cloaked in "the shadows of her past"?
Sylvanas. The flock is the Horde. The shadows of her past are her time as a living blood elf (thalassian reputation), the pretendy funtime idea that she falsely spread that she had anything at all to do with the defeat of the Burning Legion, and her time pretending to love the forsaken.
This is hard to say since we more less know Xalatath won't be in the Blade, so its possible Slyvanas has it either to try and drain the Void out of her sister or try and imprison Nzoth in the blade.

Imprison an Old God?
Is it even strong enough to hold nzoth?
11/04/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Nathreim
Darion said so again during the DK Legion campaign. Undeath halts madness and other mental issues. Old Gods drive people to insanity so they serve them. With undead that option is unavailable.

Can you provide a source for this, because Darion also seems to contact you telepathically, meaning undead have minds and ARE susceptible to mental magic.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Dead_and_the_Damned

Description

<A powerful mind again touches your thoughts.>

Gorelix the Fleshripper is a monstrous demon. The butcher of a thousand worlds, he has exterminated countless races with his axe, the Maw of the Damned.

A group of Ebon Blade was dispatched to slay him but they have gone missing. You will succeed where they failed.

You will not be alone in this, I've sent Baron Sliver ahead to assist you.

Go, obtain the Maw of the Damned and ensure that Gorelix is no more.
11/05/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Alurna
Can you provide a source for this, because Darion also seems to contact you telepathically, meaning undead have minds and ARE susceptible to mental magic.
I believe it was implied or outright said somewhere that undead are immune/resistant to your typical Old God whispers because Saronite slowly drove most folks insane, except for the Scourge and the Ebon Blade, which used it in abundance.