Sylvanas and Xal'atath

Story Forum
11/05/2018 08:29 AMPosted by Jerolan
11/05/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Alurna
Can you provide a source for this, because Darion also seems to contact you telepathically, meaning undead have minds and ARE susceptible to mental magic.
I believe it was implied or outright said somewhere that undead are immune/resistant to your typical Old God whispers because Saronite slowly drove most folks insane, except for the Scourge and the Ebon Blade, which used it in abundance.
The Scourge have the benefit of the Lich King's protection.
11/05/2018 08:29 AMPosted by Jerolan
Can you provide a source for this, because Darion also seems to contact you telepathically, meaning undead have minds and ARE susceptible to mental magic.
I believe it was implied or outright said somewhere that undead are immune/resistant to your typical Old God whispers because Saronite slowly drove most folks insane, except for the Scourge and the Ebon Blade, which used it in abundance.

Yes, but so did the player characters, who had armor made of Saronite. I thought it was clarified somewhere that once Saronite was forged that it lost that corruptive effect?
11/02/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Kazala
"ARE YOU READY TO TURN ON HER YET HORDE PLAYERS?! HERE, WE'LL JUST HAVE HER JOIN THE OLD GODS OUTRIGHT, OK?!"

It's such a shock, isn't it?! Who knew Sylvanas was EVUL?!?!?

Whine more, sheesh.
Looks like we're right on track for Kerrivanas. Nathanos Raynor will surely bring her back from it all right as the True Big Bad reveals themselves and she'll go off on a murder/conversion spree for the greater good and everyone will rejoice! Hurray!

Its the Lich King he can speak to you after you get his buff marking you as his agent. His power may not be actual mind control but control of undead bodies.

"A soft, wretched mewling that he very much feared meant the undead woman was aware of her actions on some level, but unable to stop herself."
Road to Damnation.

A few other examples exist like Sir Zeliek, Anub'arak, Sylvanasm ect. All have their minds under their own command but their bodies act under the will of the Lich King so they are forced to watch like a passenger as they harm their loved ones.

As for the quest its the one when you raise Whitemane as a Horseman. Darion talks about how madness is cured by undeath so the madness the Dreadlords inflicted her with was removed when she became a Death Knight.
Bellular posted a video with his thoughts on the image and it's basically he theorizes that with the blade now empty, Sylvanas might use it to imprison N'Zoth.

What she does AFTER that is up in the air.

To be honest... I hadn't even considered that as a possibility. My immediate thoughts were that Blizzard had lied about the whole "Not Garrosh/MOP" statements.

Now, though, after seeing his video and reading comments about it... I'm just in a "wait and see" mindset.
That’s a Bellular video though.... I’m sure he’s a good guy but he has a habit of throwing out theories or speculation as fact. Like the “Xal’atath is a confirmed 5th Old God” part. She’s not. It’s possible as seen in the lore of the dagger, but absolutely nothing confirms it.

Also Blizz says Sylvanas has evil plans.
11/05/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Nathreim
As for the quest its the one when you raise Whitemane as a Horseman. Darion talks about how madness is cured by undeath so the madness the Dreadlords inflicted her with was removed when she became a Death Knight.

There's nothing of the sort in the quest.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Zealot_Rises

The closest line to what you're suggesting is, "Death can bring a silent peace to the soul, but not for Sally Whitemane. Her death is one of regret and unrest."
11/05/2018 11:29 AMPosted by Ningjinq
That’s a Bellular video though.... I’m sure he’s a good guy but he has a habit of throwing out theories or speculation as fact. Like the “Xal’atath is a confirmed 5th Old God” part. She’s not. It’s possible as seen in the lore of the dagger, but absolutely nothing confirms it.

Did Blizz say that? I thought they said that she's the hero of her own story, and while she definitely seems evil from an Alliance perspective, from her perspective she's doing what she has to for the Horde.

Which...I mean, I don't really buy because she murders an entire city, which seems pretty evil from any perspective, but I thought Blizzard had been pretty careful not to outright label Sylvanas as such.
Ready yourselves, cause I've cracked this theory wide open.

Sylvanas doesn't have the dagger for N'zoth. No. She has it for Nathanos.

Sometime in the future, Nathanos is going to die and Sylvanas will trap his soul in the dagger, unwilling to part from him.

Eventually, when she becomes a raid boss, "Knife'anos" will drop and be usable like it was back in Legion.

Except instead of Xala'tath, it's Nathanos you hear now as you use the weapon, forever degrading you with unimaginable contempt.
11/05/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Carmageddon
Did Blizz say that?
during blizzcon they simply said that sylvanas had "evil plans" and that the alliance heroes were going to try and stop it, they didn't really say much about perspectives
11/05/2018 11:29 AMPosted by Ningjinq

Did Blizz say that? I thought they said that she's the hero of her own story, and while she definitely seems evil from an Alliance perspective, from her perspective she'd doing what she has to for the Horde.

Which...I mean, I don't really buy because she murders an entire city, which seems pretty evil from any perspective, but I thought Blizzard had been pretty careful not to outright label Sylvanas as such.

I’ll keep looking for it since I think this time they did say it but 1 other quote from the Q&A is:

“If I were Sylvanas looking at what Garrosh hath wrought, i'd probably think Garrosh was an amateur.”

Being worse than Garrosh is not a good sign.
Do you guys remember when the Horde betrayed the Alliance at the Broken Shore?
11/05/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Ningjinq

Did Blizz say that? I thought they said that she's the hero of her own story, and while she definitely seems evil from an Alliance perspective, from her perspective she'd doing what she has to for the Horde.

I’ll keep looking for it since I think this time they did say it but 1 other quote from the Q&A is:

“If I were Sylvanas looking at what Garrosh hath wrought, i'd probably think Garrosh was an amateur.”

Being worse than Garrosh is not a good sign.
if you need help looking for the quote about evil plans, its during the 8.2 reveal when talking about the faction character's stories
11/05/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Darethy
I hate that this is what they chose to inspire us last Con... there's a dozen better scenarios to whip Alliance into faction pride. The Broken Shore is one of the few decisions of Sylvanas I actively agree with.
yes i do, why darethy, i thought we were friends!
/sniffle
11/05/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Grandblade
I hate that this is what they chose to inspire us last Con... there's a dozen better scenarios to whip Alliance into faction pride. The Broken Shore is one of the few decisions of Sylvanas I actively agree with.

No one will argue that what she did was right, it was the way that she handled it that is an issue.
11/05/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Alurna
There's nothing of the sort in the quest.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Zealot_Rises

The closest line to what you're suggesting is, "Death can bring a silent peace to the soul, but not for Sally Whitemane. Her death is one of regret and unrest."

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Scarlet_Assault

"Death has a way of quelling the madness of the mind... I am sure she will serve the Ebon Blade without compromise."
11/05/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Ivalesse
No one will argue that what she did was right, it was the way that she handled it that is an issue.
Right, but nobody's gonna wanna go to world war over a communication breakdown.
11/05/2018 12:32 PMPosted by Grandblade
11/05/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Ivalesse
Right, but nobody's gonna wanna go to world war over a communication breakdown.
Watch me.