Constructive Feedback from Demo

Classic Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Issues I and others found:

- sharding/server phasing
- meeting stones summon people (They existed and were used to fill parties but did not work to summon until patch 2.0.1)
- high hp regen (Many have reported this while others say they noticed nothing, so IDK)
- Wonky rogue regen (This was mentioned in the classic panel at blizzcon, they are implementing the old rogue energy gain in chunks.)
- rogues keep combo points when switching targets (also conflicting reports)
- crit damage too high (currently x2 when it should be base x1.5)
- no keyring (unless it shows up later after you collect your first key? I don't remember how that used to work - clarified, it should show up when you get certain keys. I cannot test it without one)
- movement speed is tweaked (this was reported by someone and is questionable as noted below, I couldn't actually tell myself when I was playing the demo. People also reported incorrect mob movement speed, backwards speed, and speed of mobs while feared)
- hit boxes off
- /lfr brings up LFG interface (Addressed in panel, it will be removed)
- updated models/movement animation, spell animations and shapeshift forms (I know a lot of people don't care about this, but I actually LIKED the old models and animations and was looking forward to that)
- updated interface/settings options (I can accept this one as long as the spirit of the orginal gameplay is there)
- no rez sickness after spirit rezzing (I tested this a few times just to check. Bugged?)
- Fort gives health immediately rather than increase hp
- Bloodrage is broken (Or so some report)
- Increased green drop rates
- incorrect stats (such as crit on greens)
- Shaman have 2h weapon skill by default (could be just for demo purposes though? Still shouldn't be a thing at that level)
- Hunters able to tame beasts higher than their own level
- pet commands are not working as they did in Classic (testing it was kind of weird, I had a whole paragraph here but am cutting it to be more concise. Maybe this requires further testing in beta)
- Formula: Enchant Bracers - Minor Strength fits in quiver
- Pet attack speeds are too fast
- Interface options and keybinds are not being saved in the client, they reset to default on logout/login (this very well could just be that because its a demo they aren't saving them, but incase its a bug its on the list)
- need/greed chat log shows "main spec"
- updated fonts and numbers
- Can mail multiple items at once
- Less fall damage taken than should be
- Weather (I'm going to mention this because I've seen it brought up a few times and people want to have the old weather system. With the demo being so limited I was not able to experience any weather myself, but this being addressed in the panel would be nice)
- Zones do not have the "Contested Territory" or "Alliance/Horde Territory" statements under their names when you enter/exit them (can confirm that this should be the case based on a video I pulled up from 2006 and is not in the demo, though the demo only has normal servers so cant test the pvp servers for it)
- Aggro range seems too far away (running to thousand needles at level 15 I didn't aggro any of the level 20-22 mobs)
- /sit used in combat causes mobs to crit but does not trigger on crit abilities (tested with a paladin's redoubt skill)
- if someone has pvp enabled and you attempt to buff/heal them you are unable to do so until you manually enable pvp yourself. I believe in vanilla you would just be automatically flagged for pvp if you healed a flagged player (As a priest in classic I also remember this being the case when I would do run-by buffings and can confirm the demo is not as classic was)
- Getting randomly flagged for pvp (or ffa pvp), reported by a class that cannot heal or buff others, happened in Westfall, in SH or Moonbrook, or somewhere in between. (The player included a screenshot in the comments)
- When weaponskills are maxed mobs no longer seem to dodge skills
- When turning on mining/herbing its a buff rather than an icon on the minimap

This is what I've found so far. Anything that anyone else finds, feel free to add it below and I'll include it. Thank you to all who have contributed their findings!

Most of these seem like they are bugs or things that are remnants from trying to go backwards and make current WoW into classic so they should be easy fixes and cleaned up in the coming months (I'm guessing, but they really should be). Some of the things I personally would be fine if they left, I mean little things like the updated settings, updated fonts and numbers, etc., because at this point there is a lot to fix and those seem lower priority (my opinion, others may disagree). I'm not a firm nochanger, I understand that there are going to be changes. The fact they started with, what was it, 7.3.5 or whatever, and tried to back port it means its not going to actually be Classic, but they can try to emulate it as best they can.

My personal biggest issues are how easy it was to smash through mobs combined with the high hp/mp regen, summon stones working, lfr, and server shards. These will just make the game simply not vanilla.

After all these additions from others adding feedback, I'm going to add combat values and class gameplay issues to my list. If things are dying too fast because, for example, if hunter pets have high attack speed and if rogue regen and combo points are working as they do in the current version of WoW, then Vanilla content becomes trivial. Just something the Devs should keep in mind.

If any of these things were actually just part of the demo it would have been nice if we'd been given some kind of heads up before hand. The lack of communication has been concerning.

One last thought: I actually had a lot of fun in the demo. I messed around in forgotten zones, played with skills and specs that are so different now, conversed with more people than in my entire BFA experience. It was so much fun. I think the devs are on the right track to bringing back that classic feel and hopefully the feedback we provided (bugs, design concerns and all) will benefit this project in a positive way. I tell you what, I'm gonna play the crap out of this when it launches.
Good work.
greens dropping like crazy.

- updated models/movement animation (I know a lot of people don't care about this, but I actually LIKED the old models and animations and was looking forward to that)

[/quote]

I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY! I was like something is different here. I felt a disturbance in the force, if you will.
Right, I also found the green drop rate to feel high. That and incorrect stats, or so I saw on other posts. Again if that's just for demo let us know. We're all just guessing here.
+ critical strike on green items
Also the movement speed tweak is questionable. Apparently it’s been tested by comparing run speed on private servers and Classic has the same run speeds.
Thanks, I've added your guys' feedback!
Floor demo build fixed lfr window.
11/02/2018 04:51 PMPosted by Roseblood

If any of these things were actually just part of the demo it would have been nice if we'd been given some kind of heads up before hand. The lack of communication has been concerning.

I agree with all of this, and the implications are disturbing. Things like baseline 200% spell crit damage immediately stand out as non-authentic to anyone with decent classic experience. If the Classic dev team is good then they know the state of the demo is not authentic...

... So where was the breakdown? Was this rushed when the team knew it wasn't ready, and its rushed state wasn't communicated to the community? Or is this just a cynical half-best-effort, and they just don't care?
11/02/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Fyedora

I agree with all of this, and the implications are disturbing. Things like baseline 200% spell crit damage immediately stand out as non-authentic to anyone with decent classic experience. If the Classic dev team is good then they know the state of the demo is not authentic...

... So where was the breakdown? Was this rushed when the team knew it wasn't ready, and its rushed state wasn't communicated to the community? Or is this just a cynical half-best-effort, and they just don't care?

None of this is ready, they've even stated this. so they just released a snapshot of where they're at.

Hell apparently the server we're playing on is months old and not even the current up-to-date version.

- no keyrings (unless it shows up later after you collect your first key? I don't remember how that used to work)
- sharding/server phasing
- meeting stones summon people
- movement speed is tweaked (this was reported by someone and is questionable as noted below, I couldn't actually tell myself when I was playing the demo)
- hit boxes off
- insanely high hp regen, didn't have to bandage or eat food once, which honestly is a game breaker for me. I already hate that consumables while leveling (first aid being gone altogether) aren't a thing, don't take them away from classic too.
- Wonky rogue regen
- /lfr brings up LFG interface (has since been patched out - boy that was a quick fix! Good job!)
- updated models/movement animation (I know a lot of people don't care about this, but I actually LIKED the old models and animations and was looking forward to that)
- updated interface/settings options including auto loot(I can accept this one as long as the spirit of the orginal gameplay is there)
- no rez sickness after spirit rezzing (I tested this a few times just to check. Bugged? As intended for demo? who knows)
- Bloodrage is broken (Or so some report)
- Increased green drop rates and incorrect stats
- crit damage too high (currently x2 when it should be base x1.5)

This is what I've found so far. Anything that anyone else finds, feel free to add it below and I'll include it.

My personal biggest issues are how easy it was to smash through mobs combined with the high hp/mp regen, summon stones working, lfr, and server shards. These will just make the game simply not vanilla.

Great finds and all good fixes we should have implemented.
Its just a demo to show the community they're working on classic. Its obviously no where close to ready.
Wonky rogue regen

Wonky........

Could you or someone else elaborate with great detail?
I don't play a rogue and never did back in classic so I don't know what the regen is supposed to be or how its supposed to feel in order to test it myself, but apparently the regen values are off of what they should be (something like 20 every two seconds and its not working that way now in the demo). If another rogue who personally tested it could elaborate I would appreciate it.

It was also stated that an eviscerate that doesn't land incorrectly consumes combo points.

The Hp/Mp regens are off for sure, I could plainly see that while playing.

Honestly any feedback on bugs/issues/desired changes compiled together as best we can should help get some of these things fixed, I would hope anyway.
Keep it up!
11/02/2018 06:42 PMPosted by Lokubi
Its just a demo to show the community they're working on classic. Its obviously no where close to ready.

It's just a post to ensure anyone at Blizzard that happens by can get a clear read of things the community would take umbrage with if implemented in Classic. It's obviously just done in case they actually were thinking of making additions.
- updated interface/settings options including auto loot(I can accept this one as long as the spirit of the orginal gameplay is there)

As a side note, auto-loot was available in vanilla WoW, but only by shift-clicking. So I'd argue that the "spirit" of original gameplay already includes auto loot.

This was introduced in 1.9, and we're going with 1.12 afaik. So the only real change is adding a toggle between having to hold shift or not.

That said, thanks for the write up!
its a demo why do you think they only allow us to play on 1 map per faction. Things still needs to be fix, like how pally spells are getting resist when in vanilla it was the only spell class that couldnt be resist.
11/02/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Gutterslag
11/02/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Fyedora

None of this is ready, they've even stated this. so they just released a snapshot of where they're at.

Hell apparently the server we're playing on is months old and not even the current up-to-date version.

Where did they state why gameplay mechanics are from post-Cata? Lore stated that sharding is being used for the demo, which that didn't really bother me.

IMO, this spin is weak. They would have to know that classic enthusiasts could see these flaws immediately. They should have been up-front that the demo wouldn't be authentic.

I'm getting the impression that recreating true 1.12 gameplay on the modern game client is just too hard, and this demo is indicative of where things will go. Summer of 2019 isn't far off, and we only saw the tiniest piece of the start of leveling in Classic. We need to see profession specializations, weapon procs, itemization, pet skill mechanics, etc.
- /lfr brings up LFG interface (has since been patched out - boy that was a quick fix! Good job!)

how quick it was patched I would put money the code still exists they just patched out the /lfg command.

11/02/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Zevlach
Could you or someone else elaborate with great detail?

can guess that rogue energy in classic is supposed to comes in chunks something like every 4 seconds 40 energy, this allowed rogues tricks such as opening up right before a tick to instantly refill the energy bar.

in retail it generates as one constant stream making the above trick not a thing, (looked it up 1 energy every 10th of a second)

can't say how it generates on the demo since i don't have it but at a guess maybe it does the retail generation and not the classic ? honestly feel like retail is the way to go on that one.