WoW killer.

General Discussion
11/02/2018 10:48 PMPosted by Raelhorn
11/02/2018 10:37 PMPosted by Actasanc
Wait.. Age of Conan was supposed to be the WoW killer.. or when ever a LOTR mmorpg came out it was also supposed to kill WoW..

What about that one other one? Final Fantasy XIV, was it?
Yeah, that one didn't go over so well...

... oh bugger, it stood up again!

---

In all honesty, I'm surprised FFXIV didn't get mentioned earlier here. It's carved out its own place and fared very well since it's re-launch (after the admittedly horrific initial launch).

Will it kill WoW? Unlikely.

... but it is in the best position to claim a potentially vacated throne...

Just started playing FFXIV and have created two characters so far.

Still trying to figure the game out but I was surprised that on my first character (Arcanist) I didn't kill anything until I was around level 6.

Though on my second character (melee DPS) I did decide to go outside sooner, so she killed something at level 1.
11/13/2018 12:37 PMPosted by Sunfire
Just started playing FFXIV and have created two characters so far.

Still trying to figure the game out but I was surprised that on my first character (Arcanist) I didn't kill anything until I was around level 6.

Though on my second character (melee DPS) I did decide to go outside sooner, so she killed something at level 1.

How do you like it so far? I've been curious about FF14 but never tried it out.
11/02/2018 10:47 PMPosted by Arryk
11/02/2018 10:37 PMPosted by Robölogy
The problem with "WoW Killers" is they try to be too different than WoW. WoW is the model for what an MMO should be. What needs to happen is an MMO very similar to WoW, without all the foolish anti-MMO, anti-Grind, Pro-Fluffy and anti-Difficulty stuff the game devolved in to.

IMO

You know what you just described?

Wildstar.

How'd that turn out?

Wildstar had several issues. First it came out at the same time 3 other MMOS came out and around the same time as a WOW patch.....so yeah. Problem number 2 it was sci-fi...not everyone's cup of tea. Had the field been less occupied by new releases and had it been a high fantasy we might be having this conversation on their forums. Timing is everything which is what a lot of new MMOs do not take into consideration when they release.
Will it kill WoW? Unlikely.

... but it is in the best position to claim a potentially vacated throne...

I would wager that current subs for WOW and FF are probably really close right now. If wow is sitting on 4 million I would be surprised, very surprised. I have die hard fans in my guild and they are not logging on. These are people that played through WOD.....this is very telling to me.
11/02/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Valkios
Ashes of Creation

This game looks amazing so far.
Classic WoW will be the current WoW killer?
11/02/2018 10:13 PMPosted by Ticklepatch
There has never been a better opportunity for one to come out. To bad there's none on the horizon.

Oh well, I still love this game and will continue to play it.......for now.
I hope the devs start paying attention.

I've said it before, and I will say it again... the only thing that can actually kill wow, is wow itself.

While I have been disappointed by many of the decisions Blizzard has made (starting with Warlords), and believe that the game currently has numerous issues, I don't think it is dying (at least not more than any game could expect to be after 14 years). At worst, it is seriously ill, but it is not yet critical, and it is possible for the devs to fix what is wrong. The only question is: Will they?
The only WoW killer here is WoW
11/13/2018 01:07 PMPosted by Zogamboka

Destiny 2 looks better than Classic WoW.
11/02/2018 10:13 PMPosted by Ticklepatch
There has never been a better opportunity for one to come out. To bad there's none on the horizon.

Oh well, I still love this game and will continue to play it.......for now.
I hope the devs start paying attention.

I would find it the greatest irony if WoW classic was the WoW killer.
11/13/2018 01:36 PMPosted by Aerbota
11/13/2018 01:07 PMPosted by Zogamboka

Destiny 2 looks better than Classic WoW.

Nope, I was given that for free and will never play 3 seconds of it.
Ironically, WoW turned out to be the WoW killer. Now we are just waiting for a good enough game to go to, to fill the MMO addiction.
... Blizzard Entertainment is the wow killer.
WoW Killer don't gonna be successful, until devs for other companies still focus on how to copy WoW.

That's the main failure on other MMORPG games. They concentrate to copy or do better stuff like WoW, but not on how a new mechanic can be different, original and enjoyable for players.

And when a new mechanic for those games success, then they broke it on purpose to use Pay-to-Win or Pay-to-Progress models.
WoW was a MMO phenomenon. It literally took everybody by storm. The only other game that has really pulled in similar numbers off the top of my head is League of Legends, and Fortnite, both of which are intrinsically different styles of games. I suspect that in order for an MMO to actually topple WoW, it would have to be with some sort of radically different underpinning behind it, like SAO Nerve gear level difference. Every other MMO that has come out and pronounced as a "WoW Killer" has not pulled in near the same as WoW did and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
11/02/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Argorwal
Gah I remember when Rift and Aion were the WoW killers. I've lost track of them all over the years.

Rift was fun, hated Aion.
11/02/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Valkios
Ashes of Creation

Not a fan of the art style or camera restrictions.
11/13/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Enchi
11/02/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Argorwal
Gah I remember when Rift and Aion were the WoW killers. I've lost track of them all over the years.

Rift was fun, hated Aion.

I don't think I even made it out of the starting zone of Aion... lol. I think I made it about half way to cap when Rift first came out. Something about it just felt.... off.
At this point, I won't even dare to put hope into MMORPGs -- not with the way companies love to sail their ships directly into icebergs. You usually get a whopping year of fun before they follow the well-used flowchart of "How to bone your own business."