Loot trading is perfect for vanilla

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8
11/07/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Windsheared

Now, if there was no loot trading, then pugs get the same chance as you to win loot, and that isn't right.

[/quote]

You're right, they deserve a higher chance for grouping with strangers.
11/09/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Skrachee
Can’t you see what everyone rolls on a piece of loot? So, if you’re playing solo, and you see 3 guildies roll on an item that clearly only 1 needed, what’s keeping you from leaving the group?

Well, if it's the last boss, then what? You ask them for your time back?
Loot trading would be terrible for needed items. Anyone that can roll need on it even if they don't actually need the item can roll on it and demand gold from the person that actually needs the item. It's to obvious how much this can be exploited that it will not make it into launch. If you can't see that I am sorry.
11/13/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Milidan
the problem i have with loot sharing, is that its rebuking PUG style gameplay since its gonna entice players to only want to stick to their friends, but the argument can be used against it in a different logic by saying its encouraging you to make friends.

hmmm which direction is more closer to the truth?

The first, since Windsheared makes it very clear elsewhere in the thread that he/she is not interested in playing with more than 2 "friends" at a time. That's why I don't buy the "it promotes being social" line. No, it's just simple probabilities, fueled by inflated self-importance. The entire concept is unashamedly about abusing the pick-ups.

edit: changed "greed" to "inflated self-importance" because potentially confusing (i.e., need versus greed)
11/13/2018 10:39 AMPosted by Feuerhuf
the problem i have with loot sharing, is that its rebuking PUG style gameplay since its gonna entice players to only want to stick to their friends, but the argument can be used against it in a different logic by saying its encouraging you to make friends.

The first, since Windsheared makes it very clear elsewhere in the thread that he/she is not interested in playing with more than 2 "friends" at a time. That's why I don't buy the "it promotes being social" line. No, it's just simple probabilities, fueled by inflated self-importance. The entire concept is unashamedly about abusing the pick-ups.

edit: changed "greed" to "inflated self-importance" because potentially confusing (i.e., need versus greed)

as i've said, some people are going to be inconvenienced, but it's all for the bigger picture. People will HAVE to make friends, or they will suffer the consequences.

The loners who try to get through the game with none having their back will have a harder time, and that's how it's SUPPOSED to be in an mmo. Keep loot trading.
11/13/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Klaude
Loot trading would be terrible for needed items. Anyone that can roll need on it even if they don't actually need the item can roll on it and demand gold from the person that actually needs the item. It's to obvious how much this can be exploited that it will not make it into launch. If you can't see that I am sorry.

again, it's been announced already, i am just pointing out why it's a good decision, so you people can stop complaining all the time.
I want to do PUGs and make new friends, but if there is a threat of 2/3/4 stacks rolling on loot together, that will just deter me and others from doing so. Sticking to strictly guild or friend groups is not the spirit of vanilla. I remember PUGing often and I look forward to doing it again. #NoLootSharing
11/13/2018 11:36 PMPosted by Windsheared
11/13/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Klaude

again, it's been announced already, i am just pointing out why it's a good decision, so you people can stop complaining all the time.

You're a fool if you seriously think it's going to go live with this included at least without more restrictions in place to put in place, the thieving children such as yourself (who plan on abusing and exploiting this feature to its fullest)

Then again, it's obvious that you are just trolling even though I do believe you are the type that would cheat and exploit any given loophole you can find to fuel your sense of entitlement.
11/13/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Windsheared
<span class="truncated">...</span>

as i've said, some people are going to be inconvenienced, but it's all for the bigger picture. People will HAVE to make friends, or they will suffer the consequences.

The loners who try to get through the game with none having their back will have a harder time, and that's how it's SUPPOSED to be in an mmo. Keep loot trading.

look, im 1000% all for preserving the social/community aspect probably more then most, but maybe this isnt the best solution? im no expert, but as a layman i can certainly say that the favorability is polarizing. its either we leave it the way it used to be (which i think is the majority of what people want being vanilla and all) or we do it the new way, which is intended to help prevent accidental loot distribution.
11/14/2018 12:35 AMPosted by ChaoxCC981D9
I want to do PUGs and make new friends, but if there is a threat of 2/3/4 stacks rolling on loot together, that will just deter me and others from doing so. Sticking to strictly guild or friend groups is not the spirit of vanilla. I remember PUGing often and I look forward to doing it again. #NoLootSharing

You say it's not the spirit of vanilla, when other people say the spirit of vanilla is friends and guilds, which is it? I think you don't know what you want.

Let me help you here. Since none of us really know what the spirit of vanilla should be, we should leave it to blizzard, they made battle for azeroth afterall. Loot trading worked great for them, and it can work for us here.
11/14/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Windsheared
You say it's not the spirit of vanilla, when other people say the spirit of vanilla is friends and guilds, which is it? I think you don't know what you want.

Let me help you here. Since none of us really know what the spirit of vanilla should be, we should leave it to blizzard, they made battle for azeroth afterall. Loot trading worked great for them, and it can work for us here.

Well, both should be viable, no? You can still quest with a guild/friends with no loot trading and help reserve gear by doing a full guild/friend group or you can PUG with the comfort of knowing gear will be fairly handled. But having loot trading makes the latter less viable for people who want an equal chance at loot while PUGing with premades. No loot trading would mean the group composition (whether it is with a group of friends and a few randoms or a full PUG) would be irrelevant and would encourage grouping of all sorts. Loot trading discourages, no loot trading does not.
The perfect troll thread doesn't exi....

Damn.
11/14/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Fratleylol

Damn.

:thinking:
11/14/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Fratleylol

Damn.

I hope you aren't referring to this thread.
Everyone knows your against loot trading OP.

We get it.
you propose that greed and togetherness is the core of making community?
or are you proposing that forcing people to make friends is?

either way, this incorrect, the primary focus of mmo's is to provide enterainment and a sense of accomplishment through. note, through. having a community and/or cooperation to obtain, destroy, or defeat.

It is not possible to encourage LASTING friendship based on the necessity of loot. Nor is it prudent to expect support and devotion to the community because of a shared goal based on greed. Which loot trading does promote when used in this aspect of pugging.
11/14/2018 07:12 PMPosted by Starmage
you propose that greed and togetherness is the core of making community?
or are you proposing that forcing people to make friends is?

either way, this incorrect, the primary focus of mmo's is to provide enterainment and a sense of accomplishment through. note, through. having a community and/or cooperation to obtain, destroy, or defeat.

It is not possible to encourage LASTING friendship based on the necessity of loot. Nor is it prudent to expect support and devotion to the community because of a shared goal based on greed. Which loot trading does promote when used in this aspect of pugging.

that's just one mans definition of an mmo.
11/07/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Badmage
So what you are saying is that if I tank a 5 man instance, with another warrior as DPS, if some plate item drops then that dps warrior should have 3x the chance of winning the item because he has friends in the group? Even though I am tanking and he may not even be carrying his weight. How does that make sense to you?

Yeah vanilla is about forming bonds and making friends, not !@#$ting on the other people in your group and discouraging people from ever running PUGs. Vanilla is about the community, not about only ever playing with your guild. Sounds like you have never even played vanilla before, if you don't understand that.

What you do is master loot. Have you ever played vanilla before? Do you get it?

A lot of those friends are made in dungeon groups if you don't know a lot of people playing the game, so it could be problematic.

As I plan on maining a tank, I'll be able to abuse my group importance a little bit to ward this nonsense off until I get a steady guild, and then level my alts within that guild, but DPSers are going to get unfairly screwed I think. Loot trading works well with personal loot, but I feel like it opens up a lot more options for abuse than problems it solves.

Loot trading on master looted or free for all looted gear would be acceptable, would make the big 40 man runs a bit less twitchy about it.
11/14/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Windsheared
leave it to blizzard, they made battle for azeroth afterall. Loot trading worked great for them, and it can work for us here.

Lol, I see what you're doing.