Does anyone else still really hate SCALING?

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 13 Next
LvL scaling = ok
Item Level scaling = boring and fail !
I don't like the scaling. The concept is good but it really doesn't feel right in a mmo. If *leveling* dungeons scaled then I'd be fine with that. World content not so much. When I say scale I mean like doing vortex pinnacle at level 15. They should just throw all dungeons in the game into a pool and randomize them from 15-110(or to 119). I think that would be very fun.
My journey to level 62.

1. Level 20 LFD Pally. War mode on. Full heirlooms. Brewfest is in effect. Hit Direbrew every day. Easy xp for minimal work. Hit all Brewfest quests, also easy xp in a very tiny area. DMF was also up this week. Extra +10% xp from Whee! Some DMF quests provide XP. Again, easy peazy.

2. Toured around all starting level areas. Completed quests in Elwynn Forest, Teldrassil, Azuremyst Isle, Dun Morogh. Continued to Bloodmyst Isle & Loch Modan. Completed half of Westfall and half of Darkshore quests.

3. Hallow's End is in effect. Grab Wickerman +10% xp buff (w/DMF buff as I logged out before DMF ended with buff still at 60min). Complete Hallow's End quests and run Headless Horseman once per day. Decent xp for sure.

4. Mining, Archaeology, & Pet Battles. They help, a lot! Completing fishing & cooking daily quests in Stormwind, Ironforge, or Darnassus for easy xp!

5. Up to now, I have 1 day /played on my account @ 4 hours played per day = 6 days to hit level 62.5 (63 with a few quest turn ins that I completed)

Its about leveling smarter, not harder. I could move onto Outland, but why? I plan to complete all quests in Azeroth before moving onto Outland since i'm enjoying the story. I never took time on any character to enjoy the story! Gear from quest rewards scales until 60, so you always have upgrades.
Level scaling: 10/10

ilvl scaling: I hope they fire whatever intern thought this up, though it’s likely he’s gonna be some kinda design lead in the near future
I can't say this better myself. I honestly thought scaling was going to be awesome but its WAY OVERDONE. The scaling has wounded Azeroth in many areas.

They're making the right direction with 8.1 leveling nerfs. I respect that Classic is coming because I can get the epic leveling experience from Classic then when I get bored I can go play BFA. I love it! Although if they create something with a power progression, I'll be super happy too. I'll take the bandage fix tho, I'll be making a lot of alts in 8.1! Heritage armors here I come!

11/08/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Blueorchid
I hate scaling...
I know at first there were a lot of people that were against it.
Now you dont hear that much about it. I cant stand it, and it
has really soured me on the game.

Anyone else still struggling to accept it?

** I want to add a bit more to this**

With the scaling I just feel like I am getting no where. The way it was the more you lvl'd.. the more you lvl'd your gear.. the stronger and more invincible you felt.. the faster you could clear content...it felt like you were accomplishing something. Now everything feels grindy to me because it is lacking that kick butt factor that USED to come with lvl'ing and gearing up.

I guess its just not fun anymore. :(
Mostly when I forget the lotion.

First it puts the lotion on its back....
11/08/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Chibisue
It used to be fun to have to attain a certain level before you could visit a new zone. I can remember taking little exploratory peeks into new zones in Vanilla just to see a little of what was waiting for me when I got to a high enough level to actually quest there. Scaling kinda ruins that since I can go wherever I want and all the baddies will be my level.

One of my first meaningful experiences in WoW was peeking into Felwood from Ashenvale I believe (where everything was level 20 or below) and I saw a cool bear and when I went to look at it, it splatted me.

It was really satisfying to reach Felwood and then fight those bears.
11/09/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Snikrot
I just want to point out that my ilvl 346 Fury Warrior just jumped into the middle of a large group of mobs (I counted 12 dead bodies when I was done) and came out with full health.

Again, I'm not seeing the problem. My guy's ilvl isn't even high.

That might be true for a fury warrior but the other 90% of players are struggling to stay alive in BfA.
I don't like enemy scaling. As soon as some random person joins on a world quest, the enemy's hp gets larger. What's the point of helping someone or being helped by someone when their presence just makes the boss harder.
I do very much hate scaling, at least when I'm leveling and working on content from old expacs, it's kinda nice knowing that in BC, if I want to stay in Hellfire for the entire time, I can, but I can also swap to it's paired xpac zones in wrath or another zone as I level.
Even then, older content doesn't expect me to spend as much time on it these days by virtue of its being older.

Once I hit the most recent xpac however, I find scaling just becomes horrible, as its around here that I do notice my lack of power as I level. As many have said, leveling through battle for azeroth, it actively feels like you're actually getting WEAKER. SO you kinda want to hit 120 quickly simply so you can start gathering gear...and even then, mobs still scale with you, so it takes ages until you finally hit the scale wall and then REALLY get to feel like you've powered up.

But it takes so long to get there...in an RPG where getting strong is half the point, it's a bit of a joke, IMHO.
11/09/2018 10:38 PMPosted by Peapöd
11/09/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Snikrot
I just want to point out that my ilvl 346 Fury Warrior just jumped into the middle of a large group of mobs (I counted 12 dead bodies when I was done) and came out with full health.

Again, I'm not seeing the problem. My guy's ilvl isn't even high.

That might be true for a fury warrior but the other 90% of players are struggling to stay alive in BfA.

I mean I do the same thing on my shadow priest with no problems. Most forum goers also thought that the mage tower was hard with max stacks of concordance
As many have said..

Level scaling=tolerable.
I-level scaling= Horrible phail.

Make heirlooms great again!
11/08/2018 10:25 PMPosted by Izzl
11/08/2018 10:23 PMPosted by Kwaii

Well the 110 DK is in final raid of the expansion gear. The 376 DK is in first tier gear. Obviously the 110 is better at killing mobs. This has how it's literally always worked.

How it has always worked? What about BC/CATA/WOD/MOP/WOTLK?

Yeah. You in fact felt stronger at the end of ICC when you were literally capping secondary stats and one shotting mobs with auto attacks than you did when you hit 85 and were halfway through BWD.

Feeling weaker at the start of an expansion isn't new.
11/10/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Kwaii
Yeah. You in fact felt stronger at the end of ICC when you were literally capping secondary stats and one shotting mobs with auto attacks than you did when you hit 85 and were halfway through BWD.

Feeling weaker isn't new, but not feeling stronger as you gear and level is. And, having a character with bad gear feel stronger than a character with good gear IS new.
Scaling while leveling is fine. The item level scaling at max level really sucks.
11/10/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Gunny

Feeling weaker isn't new, but not feeling stronger as you gear and level is. And, having a character with bad gear feel stronger than a character with good gear IS new.
Scaling while leveling is fine. The item level scaling at max level really sucks.

If you felt stronger as a fresh 120 than you do at 340+ ilvl then I have some bad news for you. It’s not a scaling problem
there were some people that really, really hated it, and they have quit by now
I put up with scaling but I still do not like it. So many things I used to like about the game are gone now. I liked the sense of progressing against mobs. If I wanted a challenge, I could sneak over to a higher zone level. I hate the nerf to dungeon XP. I used to spam dungeons at certain levels because I hated certain questing zones, but dungeons are barely worth it now. As far as out leveling zones, a better solution would have been to let people to dial down their rate of experience gain as an OPTION. It turns out that while some people like scaling, most people are really sick of leveling (60-80 just feels so boring and slow) which is why the changes to required XP are being made.

Too bad the devs could not be more flexible and give people more choices, but they just do not have that mindset I guess.
11/10/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Gunny

But you do feel stronger. Mobs scale at less than 40% of what players do. When I was 300 ilvl I was a weakling. Now I can't pull mobs fast enough.
It is the worse. I literally do not want to level anymore characters and I do not want to back track through areas for the same reason.
11/09/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Adomine
11/09/2018 12:59 AMPosted by Metrohaha
I can't speak for level scaling but if you mean item level scaling you don't hear much about it because after 2 months people have already eclipsed it. I have a video comparing me at several different item levels and the power increase in undeniable when looking at kill times.

A lot of the core problems people bring up are pshyological tricks on your own mind, and this is certainly one of them. Look at fact or compile your own data to see that even though it "feels" a certain way, the reality contrasts it.

As for leveling scaling, if that is what you meant, I think it's the best change they ever made to the early game and would only prefer if the entire game scaled.

Almost everything does scale at this point. It looks like you're progressing through mythic raiding content at this point. Pick anything that scales in BFA content right now and I guarantee I can tank it more easily and kill it significantly faster than you on my 110 hunter here.

I farm all the time on this hunter, with my pet tanking 10-15 mobs with no problem. As soon as a 120 decides to join my tags, I can feign death and have my pet play dead and I watch them die in 2-3 seconds. Scaling is definitely off.

I call baloney on this one. I haven't had any issues taking on multiple mobs with any of my 120 characters. The only one that occassionally has an issue is my Mage, and that's likely because I'm not a very good mage. If an issue exists at 120 it must be of a very short duration as I can honestly say I don't recall experiencing it on any of my 120's.

Heck, I wouldn't even know I was supposed to be "unhappy" with scaling except for reading the GD forums ;-)