Here's a thought about the war...

Story Forum
So. I'll start this out by saying I'm probably 100% wrong, and I doubt my own theory about as much as I suspect most of you will.

So a week or so ago I asked you, the denizens of the Story Forum your opinion on Before the Storm. I've since listened to the audio book, and while I have my opinions on the writing, that's not the purpose of this post. But something kept coming up. Over and over. And it's not the first time I've heard it.

Sylvanas wants to invade Stormwind. Like... badly. It's mentioned no less than 5 times in the book, and she's even gone so far as to consult Saurfang as to how it could be done. Not just in a single sacking, but over the course of a long-term war.

Also, blizzard keeps saying things that we are assuming lies, like "this isn't just an MoP rehash," and "she's not following Garrosh's footsteps."

And we've all heard the Chinese rumors about a major win for Sylvanas in 8.2.

What if we're not being set up for Sylvanas losing. What if we're being set up for an eventual Siege of Stormwind?

As I said... I even think I'm wrong. But boy would we all be shocked. Does Blizzard even have the guts to do something like that?

I doubt it. But it may start a discussion at least!
I mean Stormwind is getting sieged. It has no guards and it's been hinted at a ton in the book. I don't think that means Sylvanas won't lose though. Just one more evil under her belt before she topples.
Despite everything, I'd very much like that. Better not lose a Warcheif for it though.
11/09/2018 04:43 PMPosted by Grahntorinu
Despite everything, I'd very much like that. Better not lose a Warcheif for it though.

As a human Paladin, so would I. I don't want to lose sylvanas. She's a good character, and I think it'd be a shame to Garrosh her.
8.2 does not look like it will be a rematch of the Horde by the events that will take place in Zuldazar and Darkshore that left the faction a step away from defeat but all that crap of an enemy in common with the emergence of Azshara. ~But I hope not~

11/09/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Zaltaan

Okay, I'm totally out of it, what do you mean?

Also, blizzard keeps saying things that we are assuming lies, like "this isn't just an MoP rehash," and "she's not following Garrosh's footsteps."

I honestly do not even know what they want with Sylvanas anymore, no matter what the end of it will be, she's being worse than Garrosh for me as a player. ~ My character does not care much for this whole war ~ What unites Sylvanas to the plot of MoP, in my view, is not her extreme attitudes, but rather the fact that this war no longer looks like a faction war but rather a huge "warchief vs. all", something quite repetitive and boring.

What if we're not being set up for Sylvanas losing. What if we're being set up for an eventual Siege of Stormwind?

Saurfang had not said anything in A Good War about how difficult it was to siege Stormwind?! He says it is particularly difficult to do so without a good naval fleet for transport and attack. And after Zuldazar 8.1 it was clear that the Alliance has naval superiority, even more to defend the capital. So Sylvanas's intentions to invade Stormwind are clearly impeded so far.
I'd be game for a Siege of Stormwind. If the 8.1 raid goes well, they could even do a similar system to allow for a more story oriented boss system.

However, the reason she likely wants to DO that so badly is because she knows that if she raises the citizens of SW into her Forsaken she'll essentially escape her reliance on the Horde AND her fear of the Alliance all in one fell swoop.

Her Forsaken forces will be so massive that the "Alliance of Convenience" between the Forsaken and Horde will be heavily altered (without the Alliance in a strong position to oppose the Horde), she could do just about anything she wants.
I suppose Sylvanas could succeed in her goal of razing Stormwind and swelling her host of undead - which she uses to fight the void? - and then Azerite / D.E.M. them back to the living at the close of BfA.

Okay, I'm totally out of it, what do you mean?

There are rumors of a Chinese leak that state patch 8.2 is the Horde Victory portion of this expansion just as 8.1 is the Alliance Victory part.
I suppose Sylvanas could succeed in her goal of razing Stormwind and swelling her host of undead - which she uses to fight the void? - and then Azerite / D.E.M. them back to the living at the close of BfA.

I'd LOVE THIS except the second part. I have no love for Calia Menethil, but have her back some of Stormwind Undead to lightforge back to the Alliance afterwards or whatever and leave it at that. Only time I've ever agreed with Lightforged Undead existing I think.
11/09/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Rhuna
There are rumors of a Chinese leak that state patch 8.2 is the Horde Victory portion of this expansion just as 8.1 is the Alliance Victory part.
the chinese leak also had the ghosts of gelbin and vol'jin talking about how they were bullied

as for the OP i doubt it would happen/succeed. stormwind is the main capital of the alliance, when we "sacked" org, it was less of a sacking and more of a liberation because we were there to help the horde. if sylvanas attacks stormwind it won't be a liberation.

the main faction capitals have plot armor from actually being conquered by the opposing faction which is why alliance will never truly conquer orgrimmar and horde will never conquer stormwind
I would delete all characters and uninstall.
So. I'll start this out by saying I'm probably 100% wrong, and I doubt my own theory about as much as I suspect most of you will.

So a week or so ago I asked you, the denizens of the Story Forum your opinion on Before the Storm. I've since listened to the audio book, and while I have my opinions on the writing, that's not the purpose of this post. But something kept coming up. Over and over. And it's not the first time I've heard it.

Sylvanas wants to invade Stormwind. Like... badly. It's mentioned no less than 5 times in the book, and she's even gone so far as to consult Saurfang as to how it could be done. Not just in a single sacking, but over the course of a long-term war.

As I said... I even think I'm wrong. But boy would we all be shocked. Does Blizzard even have the guts to do something like that?

I doubt it. But it may start a discussion at least!

Saurfang will almost certainly be the one to break the siege.
As a human Paladin...

Are you sure? I have my doubts.

I'll start this out by saying I'm probably 100% wrong, and I doubt my own theory

As I said... I even think I'm wrong.

Those arent things Human Paladins ever say. I smell a Dreadlord!
We still haven't heard much about those missing blood elves from Dalaran, maybe it's connected? Sylvanas still cares about her kin, it's possible she might have gone paranoid over this subject. I could be wrong through, has their been any update to what happen to them?
11/09/2018 09:07 PMPosted by Cursewords
As a human Paladin...

Are you sure? I have my doubts.

I'll start this out by saying I'm probably 100% wrong, and I doubt my own theory

As I said... I even think I'm wrong.

Those arent things Human Paladins ever say. I smell a Dreadlord!

They're on to me... crap...
I think Dazar'alor will be a testing ground for future faction war raids. See how it works out, how the fans feel, and how well it played out.

If it goes really bad for whatever reason, they'd probably not repeat it this expansion (maybe another)

If it goes really well I can see them doing it again.

If it's 'meh' I can see them doing a more watered down version.

Still a Siege of Stormwind would be an interesting raid as a faction based raid. My Alliance main is a Stormwind Patriot, so it'd definitely ignite some fire in my heart, but I also would like it to cause lasting damage. Not to the city, that can be fixed, but rather to Stormwind's power.

A Siege on Stormwind would be a good chance to sorta knock Stormwind down on the totem pole. Not out of the picture, but let another race be the power house for a while. In vanilla WoW, the dwarves appeared to be the strongest Alliance nation, so I'd like to see them do so again, especially since this time they have the might of all three clans.
11/09/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Droité
I'd be game for a Siege of Stormwind. If the 8.1 raid goes well, they could even do a similar system to allow for a more story oriented boss system.

However, the reason she likely wants to DO that so badly is because she knows that if she raises the citizens of SW into her Forsaken she'll essentially escape her reliance on the Horde AND her fear of the Alliance all in one fell swoop.

Her Forsaken forces will be so massive that the "Alliance of Convenience" between the Forsaken and Horde will be heavily altered (without the Alliance in a strong position to oppose the Horde), she could do just about anything she wants.

I'd suspect if she tries this with handful of Stormwidians, they'd rebel against her on principle, and none other than Calia Menethil would swoop in to defend them against Sylvanas and her dark rangers----Calia Menethil. Alliance allied race of playable Forsakan confirmed. What better example of free willed undead than rising up against your unlife-giver, the wicked warchief of the Horde?
From a story stand point, this might make sense. The Alliance victory at Zuldazar is going to push the Horde to the brink of defeat. In that situation, Sylvanas might become desperate enough to make an all or nothing strike at Stormwind.

11/09/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Rhuna

Which Horde, though? Sylvanas's or Saurfang's?
I'm not sold on the odds of Sylvanas raiding Stormwind necessarily, but I see a glimmer of what Blizzard might do here... and that's having Saurfang rally the Horde and sweep in to rescue the Alliance at the last moment from something, whether it's Sylvanas or N'zoth or what have you.
11/10/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Bargrand
The Alliance victory at Zuldazar is going to push the Horde to the brink of defeat. In that situation, Sylvanas might become desperate enough to make an all or nothing strike at Stormwind.
i believe they said something along the lines that an attack on stormwind would be suicide without a powerful navy in the books, which is probably why she wanted the zandalari fleet so bad, which most of it is now sunk
11/10/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Withpuppys
11/10/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Bargrand
The Alliance victory at Zuldazar is going to push the Horde to the brink of defeat. In that situation, Sylvanas might become desperate enough to make an all or nothing strike at Stormwind.
i believe they said something along the lines that an attack on stormwind would be suicide without a powerful navy in the books, which is probably why she wanted the zandalari fleet so bad, which most of it is now sunk

I'm talking about a scenario where the Horde basically have three choices.

1: Hole up and wait for the Alliance to grind them into dust.

2: Surrender and hope to God the Alliance is feeling merciful.

3: Throw everything they've got left at the Alliance in a last ditch effort to turn the tide.