A Possible Compromise Regarding Sharding

Classic Discussion
If I understand the situation correctly, the devs are considering sharding for launch to ease the burden on servers and player congestion in early zones. However, many Classic fans feel that this would create an inauthentic experience and that outweighs any potential upsides. Personally, I consider myself part of that group and don't want to see sharding in any capacity, but I understand the arguments of those who do.

So my suggestion is that if the Classic team is going to add sharding at all, why not limit it to about half the servers at launch, and make it an option at server selection just like PvP/PvE? That way players can choose their launch experience. Again, I'd ideally like to see no sharding whatsoever, but at least something like this would allow the players some choice in the matter. Furthermore, if the sharding is temporary as the devs have implied, there's no long term difference between the servers if we were allowed to choose.
This Guy ...
Compromise is the path to excess and damnation. There should be no compromise. There should be no sharding.
11/10/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Maurdeth
Compromise is the path to excess and damnation. There should be no compromise. There should be no sharding.

can i join your cult you type like you're in a cult

I have a similar distaste towards sharding, but I figure this is a better alternative to 100% sharding which seems to be the direction things are headed. We as the community should be vocal not just about what we don't want to see, but what we do want to see and potential solutions to the problems getting there (in this case launch stability).
11/10/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Guy
If I understand the situation correctly, the devs are considering sharding for launch to ease the burden on servers and player congestion in early zones. However, many Classic fans feel that this would create an inauthentic experience and that outweighs any potential upsides. Personally, I consider myself part of that group and don't want to see sharding in any capacity, but I understand the arguments of those who do.

So my suggestion is that if the Classic team is going to add sharding at all, why not limit it to about half the servers at launch, and make it an option at server selection just like PvP/PvE? That way players can choose their launch experience. Again, I'd ideally like to see no sharding whatsoever, but at least something like this would allow the players some choice in the matter. Furthermore, if the sharding is temporary as the devs have implied, there's no long term difference between the servers if we were allowed to choose.

I would have no issues with this. A PvE realm with sharding in the starting zones would be great for me, and those that want the bloodbath unplayable starting zones could have that too.
Compromise was me actually playing WoW during the past ~8 years. I'm not demanding anything of Blizzard because frankly we're past that. Now Blizzard gets to decide if they want me, and others like me, to play Classic or if they would rather sacrifice that portion of their fan base for a smoother launch.

There are other things I'd rather do than play some hybrid of Vanilla and Retail.
I'm sorry, longtime Vanilla WoW player here, I have no idea what sharding is - can has explain?

I've been avoiding these boards because too many people showing up asking for LFR, transmog etc etc..
11/10/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Trickfiend
I'm sorry, longtime Vanilla WoW player here, I have no idea what sharding is - can has explain?
Sharding is where the game creates multiple copies of an area and assigns different players to different copies. For example, you could have 100 people in a zone that is sharded 4 times, and only 25 people in each copy. So if there is a player-driven event taking place in copy A, 75/100 players won't even know that it's happening, even if they walk directly through the middle of it.

Basically, sharding is a technology that, while you're on the same server as other players, you may not be in the same "shard" as other players. It's a separate instance of a zone that has some people in it, but not everyone on the server in it.

You can still communicate with them using General chat, but unless they're in your group, you're not guaranteed to "see" them on the screen.
Compromise was me actually playing WoW during the past ~8 years. I'm not demanding anything of Blizzard because frankly we're past that. Now Blizzard gets to decide if they want me, and others like me, to play Classic or if they would rather sacrifice that portion of their fan base for a smoother launch.

There are other things I'd rather do than play some hybrid of Vanilla and Retail.

I feel similarly, especially in regards to that last part. That's why I want the devs to explore options other than just sharding across the board. It's the passion of the community that convinced Blizzard to make Classic, so we should channel that passion into constructive criticism.

When it comes to the most recent debates (sharding, loot sharing, etc.) players like you and me should emphasize two things:
1) The closer to vanilla the better. Zero changes is the ideal to strive for.
2) If a change is unavoidable the goal should be to either to give players an option or to make the end result as close to vanilla as possible.
11/10/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Azerothinian

Basically, sharding is a technology that, while you're on the same server as other players, you may not be in the same "shard" as other players. It's a separate instance of a zone that has some people in it, but not everyone on the server in it.

You can still communicate with them using General chat, but unless they're in your group, you're not guaranteed to "see" them on the screen.

Oh screw that. No way. Why would they need to do that? I assume the servers will be capped the same level as classic anyway (2500 players) - so what would be the point of sharding? To make the world seem more empty? To ease the starting transition of getting mobs and resources? Dude I was on a PVP Private server of 8000 people and I made it happen without sharding. 2500 is cake - you still have instances you can farm.

Thank you for the explanation.
11/10/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Trickfiend
Why would they need to do that?

To make the starting areas playable during the initial rush launch window.

I assume the servers will be capped the same level as classic anyway (2500 players)

Not from the way they were talking... The WoW Classic & Q&A panels kind of led me to believe that the servers will be larger initially to accommodate a surge of initial players that they expect to fall off a few weeks after launch, leaving a manageable player density.

so what would be the point of sharding?

This:
To ease the starting transition of getting mobs and resources?

Dude I was on a PVP Private server of 8000 people and I made it happen without sharding.

I honestly don't think they are trying to emulate launches of private servers. Not sure that's at all what they are aiming for. Also, it being one WoW subscription for ALL of World of Warcraft (BfA & Classic combined), there are bound to be a lot more players logging in at launch night than ANY private server has ever had.

Thank you for the explanation.

My pleasure.

Compromise is how Retail turned into what it is. Attempting to appease everybody is how you make nobody happy.