We have zero idea what your intent is...for anything

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
11/14/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Smadinker
You make it sound like forum moderators have a complicating job and that they have years worth of work ahead of them.

Well there certainly seems to be a high burnout and attrition rate.

If trolls were killing Blizzards pretend communication they could have simply banned/suspended them from the forum, it's really that easy. lol

I think they probably will be, increasingly.

Things don't happen suddenly though.. and it takes time to get hundreds of thousands of players to realize they can't just spamtroll haterade here like before. The sort of community groupmind about it has to realize that at the macro level.

I'm patient though. What's another year or fifty thousand posts?

The issue is when the people in charge of moderation define all criticism as "spamtroll haterate" because of one or two egregious examples of trolling a month, as you do.

And after you've managed to classify all contrary ideas as "groupthink" and purged them from the forum, I guess you can declare victory.

So that was the purpose of switching forum formats, I guess. Appearance over content. You got control. You won.

What did you win, Snowfox?
11/14/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Jelybeantoes
Appearance over content.

Sounds about right for BFA.
11/14/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Snowfox
11/14/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Dvis
If Devs cultivated a more personal relationship to the community instead of filtering everything thru the CMs or carefully crafted and safe-space Q&As, we could probably get back to the Ghostcrawler-watercooler-post days

That's what I'm hopeful with for the new forums.

Get rid of the trolls who are just trying to cause noise and disruption.

Let actual players communicate with the devs about issues.

Lol and what happens when the devs still dont communicate?

Its cool the trolls and , what did you call it "haterage" (?) will be gone ... but I'm not holding my breath on dev communication, its been far too long
11/14/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Wuthappen
if any of this was left to the players we wouldn't have pathfinder imho.
If I could choose between Pathfinder or paying gold for each and every character to fly after they've hit an expansion's max level...I choose Pathfinder.

Now, if I had a choice of what went into Pathfinder, I'd definitely make changes, starting with making it only one part.

On topic: Communication has been pretty poor for some time now, and it only appears to be getting worse. For instance, I'd really like patch notes that actually tell you what's been changed instead of finding things out only when you trip over them.
11/14/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Smadinker
Since WoD Blizzard has claimed to want to improve their communication but has shown little to no interest in actually putting those words into action. Once you come to realize how full of it these guys are on stuff like this the easier it will be for you.

We don't even have decent CM's who will communicate on the forum anymore and you expect the people who actually work on the game to speak to the players?

Why would they? Look how they're treated when they do
11/14/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Kirela
Methinks everyone besides the occasional mod is on vacation after blizzcon.

The entire Battle for Azeroth development cycle was a vacation by the looks of it

Actual discussion with actual players instead of just players trolling.
11/14/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Varrow
This is all about communication.

What happened to patch notes?
Where are the explanations of the new features?
Why am I supposed to do them?
Who are they for?
What classes are you happy with?
What are you not happy with?
What are the specs supposed to be good at?

There is a complete and utter failure of communication on how the game is supposed to work. You change things constantly, and every expansion. How are we supposed to know what you want it to be if you don't tell us?

Go explore islands and battle in warfronts!!! Ok great, but what does that mean to me at a gameplay level?

Who is the target audience for islands, warfronts, raids, whatever? Everyone? New players? What are the expectations?

The class descriptions on character creation are all outdated.
When you blow up classes every expansion, what were the goals?

Looking at 8.1, why do we need like 7 different currencies instead of them being more universal?

I think you're taking this whole "give the game mystery" thing a bit far. How are we supposed to know what the game is for, if you never tell us?

Their intent is to get maximum amount of money out of you in exchange for minimum amount of design effort. So they'll meter out cool content that they have on stock (ie flying, classic) to keep you "just barely" on that hampster wheel.

They clearly don't give a !@#$ about making a great game.
11/14/2018 05:12 PMPosted by Security
11/14/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Kirela
Methinks everyone besides the occasional mod is on vacation after blizzcon.

The entire Battle for Azeroth development cycle was a vacation by the looks of it

Most of the dev team is well into their 40s, some well into their 50s. Most of tech soft separates from employees in mid 30s, certainly by mid 40s. Basis: with a handful of exceptions, almost everyone becomes less creative, "sharp," and productive as they age.
The PTR posts have been fairly frequent. Least once a week. From what I heard at blizzcon they want to do something like the water coolers again. IDK, I feel like communication isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, I feel like I've seen worse during WoD.
11/14/2018 05:31 PMPosted by Anufenrir
The PTR posts have been fairly frequent. Least once a week. From what I heard at blizzcon they want to do something like the water coolers again. IDK, I feel like communication isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, I feel like I've seen worse during WoD.

But it should be active during a PTR, so not exactly a notch in the PLUS column. My issue is the lack of direct communication between making a decision, and standing by it while discussing it with players. CMs have to take questions, get an "approved statement" from the dev team, and relay that. Then any replies have that relay process, which usually takes days, and statements that are meant to be delivered in this format aren't a conversation.

You get 35 pages of follow-up questions from players, and 6-8 are cherry-picked for the next Q&A. They should engage more with their playerbase, like they used to. I remember Chilton having a back-and-forth with warriors during BC (maybe) or earlier, and it was awesome to have that kind of communication with the then-lead developer / class designer.

These days it's a prepared statement passed onto us by Lore, usually toward the end of the week, and then silence over the weekend as the replies blow up the thread and hit the cap.
11/14/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Snowfox

It'll be rolling out tomorrow, can only hope they clean it up to where we can have actual discussions
Working on making the game play ALt-Z automatically?
320/200 8bit

Why?
Great OP.

At the moment I am very confused about what is happening with the forums, and why, and when - and so far I have not seen any real news.

If you call every criticism "trolling," then I guess it's easy to miss the dozens of conversations and discussions happening every day.
11/14/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Raspir

It'll be rolling out tomorrow, can only hope they clean it up to where we can have actual discussions

Yep, I'm looking forward to it too.

I hope it turns out to be a place where we can actually back and forth, without all the noise from the burn-it-down crowd.

We want the blues to be able to hear those complaints and discussions without being drowned out by all the trolling.
11/14/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Dvis
11/14/2018 05:31 PMPosted by Anufenrir

But it should be active during a PTR, so not exactly a notch in the PLUS column. My issue is the lack of direct communication between making a decision, and standing by it while discussing it with players. CMs have to take questions, get an "approved statement" from the dev team, and relay that. Then any replies have that relay process, which usually takes days, and statements that are meant to be delivered in this format aren't a conversation.

You get 35 pages of follow-up questions from players, and 6-8 are cherry-picked for the next Q&A. They should engage more with their playerbase, like they used to. I remember Chilton having a back-and-forth with warriors during BC (maybe) or earlier, and it was awesome to have that kind of communication with the then-lead developer / class designer.

These days it's a prepared statement passed onto us by Lore, usually toward the end of the week, and then silence over the weekend as the replies blow up the thread and hit the cap.
Understandable. Hoping they do more.
11/14/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Enekie
11/14/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Snowfox
Critical has give and take. It has constructive feedback ideally, or at least some balance between what's good and bad. I haven't seen that from you, solely hate - pure hate towards blizzard and the game.

That's incorrect, actually.

Insisting that only comments that praise Blizzard are "constructive" is actually a fairly common fallacy people use to dismiss all criticism.
I see a difference between what Snow said and what you are claiming she said.

Snow: Good and bad
You: Only good

See the difference? She isn't saying only praise is constructive.

They threw out all of the class feedback during Legion's development as angry trolling, remember? There was probably somewhere between 800 and a thousand pages just between Ret, Warlocks, and Hunters.
11/14/2018 07:53 PMPosted by Kyveli
They threw out all of the class feedback during Legion's development as angry trolling, remember?

Yeah no.. I don't remember that at all. I think you're making that up.

They threw out "all of the class feedback during Legion's development" as trolling?

No, I dont think that happened.