What's the point of tabards anymore?

General Discussion
I've wondered this for awhile, anyone know why after Cataclysm or maybe MoP blizzard changed it so that tabards don't give you the rep bonuses for tabards faction? They are worthless/cosmetic now since you have to get exalted just to buy them. On any new alts I still buy the classic faction tabards to gain rep while running dungeons while leveling. It was such a nice little bonus. Side note it's also pretty lame that with legion & BfA only dungeon bosses give rep. I feel like that's just a lost part of the game.
Rep from kill and tabards made it easier to get reps to exalted by doing anything you wanted to do be it world mobs,dungeon mobs,quests,dailies etc. That was too easy and kept players from having to play longer. So they time gated rep by making it harder to get.
Kultirans and Pandaren use them as bibs.
There is no point and most are ugly. I don't bother with them anymore.
It was after Cataclysm. Mists added an option to the rep tab where you could 'champion' a particular faction, getting rep from them for heroic dungeons. However, you can only get this rep at level 90, meaning you either need to lock your level there and run them at-level, or you need to get the rep from farming in Halfhill.

Tabards weren't originally rep sources, though, they used to be rep rewards to cover up ugly armor before transmogrification was a thing.

Can't really say why they changed the way reputation could be procured. It might be because they wanted to regulate how quickly players could max out the bar and access the rewards.
11/14/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Hugemidget
so that tabards don't give you the rep bonuses for tabards faction?

You mean like the majority of tabards since the game went live?
I use my Undercity tabard to cover up ugly armor when I'm feeling too cheap and/or lazy to transmog it.
Yeah just cosmetic unless your interested in achievments. I think they really dropped the ball by locking all rep gains behind world quests anyway. Maybe do a wq rep for each continent. Do a bg rep an island expedition rep. A Dungeon rep. Tortallons could have been a treasure hunting rep. All reps = world quests is just laf.
Some work well with certain transmogs. Some still give bonuses, like reputation buffs. Some are guild symbols that many are proud of. Some are even rarities that can show a player has done some things that aren't even available anymore. Just because you don't seem to like them, or feel like they serve no purpose, doesn't mean other people see it that way. Let people like what they want to, don't see why youre complaining about it. If you don't like them, don't use them.
11/14/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Sunday
Kultirans and Pandaren use them as bibs.

That's not entirely true... :(.
They're cosmetic items to show that you've dedicated your time to earning a particular reputation... you know, just like they were back in TBC.

11/14/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Nesuah
Rep from kill and tabards made it easier to get reps to exalted by doing anything you wanted to do be it world mobs,dungeon mobs,quests,dailies etc.

Uh... no they didn't.

Tabard reputation only ever came from dungeons. No faction ever had both world kills and dailies as major sources of rep, and no faction ever had world kills and tabards as sources.
11/14/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Fayenara
Some work well with certain transmogs. Some still give bonuses, like reputation buffs. Some are guild symbols that many are proud of. Some are even rarities that can show a player has done some things that aren't even available anymore. Just because you don't seem to like them, or feel like they serve no purpose, doesn't mean other people see it that way. Let people like what they want to, don't see why youre complaining about it. If you don't like them, don't use them.

This post is purely my opinion, I'm sure there are others who don't mind the change, I was simply lamenting that I missed having that little rep bonus & wasn't sure why that changed, I left WoW just before MoP then returned with legion, I've just been wondering about it since I came back.
11/14/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Hugemidget
11/14/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Fayenara
Some work well with certain transmogs. Some still give bonuses, like reputation buffs. Some are guild symbols that many are proud of. Some are even rarities that can show a player has done some things that aren't even

available anymore. Just because you don't seem to like them, or feel like they serve no purpose, doesn't mean other people see it that way. Let people like what they want to, don't see why youre complaining about it. If you don't like them, don't use them.

This post is purely my opinion, I'm sure there are others who don't mind the change, I was simply lamenting that I missed having that little rep bonus & wasn't sure why that changed, I left WoW just before MoP then returned with legion, I've just been wondering about it since I came back.

Rep from tabards was just a small portion of WoWs time. They were always about cosmetics. Unless you get a gladiator tabard. That's all about prestige.
Frankly if you're alliance and your main isn't wearing a tol barad tabard, I'm not really sure -what- you are thinking.
They're pretty much just cosmetic these days but I don't recall them always giving bonuses, i think that varied from faction to faction (or expansion to expansion).
11/14/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Flashelas
There is no point and most are ugly. I don't bother with them anymore.

I'm using one for getting exalted with gnome rep ATM, it works just fine about 15 rep per dungeon kill
I just wear a pvp tabard still. Goes good with some of my mogs.
They make me look goooooood.

(When I wear it)
I do wish each player could design their own, personal tabard, as their functionality has sort of thrown away. It could possibly represent your troops at the wartable, or just you as the champion regardless.