In case they move to Battletag/Account Name Tomorrow...

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
11/15/2018 02:58 AMPosted by Shippujinlai
11/15/2018 12:49 AMPosted by Maizou
So if it ends up happening, I'll just end up stop posting on the official forums and move to sites like Petopia, Warcraftpets, etc. full time, as I'd rather nip the harassment before it starts.

This sounds like an absolute blessing to these forums. The harsh light shining on your true self burns away people who hide behind their anonymity to start crap.

You would not have a problem using a static identity if you don't start crap and harass people on the forums for their opinions. There isn't any reason to hide your identity on these forums except to protect yourself from the repercussions of your own actions.

I for one welcome such a change.

I've literally posted on the same character for 8 years on these forums. I race changed this toon a year ago and as such, my name changed to Maizou. How the hell is this about me trying to stay anonymous? If I changed toons every 5 minutes it'd be one thing. The only time I post on other characters is if it's like a "Post on your Dark Iron" thread or something.

However, I have PERSONAL sites that my account name/battletag can end up leading people to. As in, REAL LIFE SITES. I do not need people finding me on facebook and such and harassing me there. You may not mind strangers from WoW finding you on social media, but I sure as hell do.

Posting my battletag (even without the numbers) or my account name, is JUST AS BAD AS POSTING MY REAL NAME. And we both know how that went down all those years ago when they announced they were going to do that. I know it's not like that for everyone, but it is for me.

And the few people here who have my battletag may not see how, but I'm not explaining how. :P

And again, I should not be forced to change my battletag just because Blizzard one day decided they wanted to change their forums.
11/15/2018 03:38 AMPosted by Sharaeline
I have had a stalker come from wow.

This is unsubstantiatable. It amounts to a weak attempt to emotionally blackmail people to your side. If it's true you would have to provide the kind of information that would make it true if untrue to prove it either way.

What value would a player have being able to find players from the forums to other places, other than to circumvent the rules and use it for harrasment.

That people couldn't come dump steaming truckloads of their hot opinions here and then hide from the fallout. People would be able to remember that you are the one who comes and dumps huge steaming loads on the forums and tries to pass it off as gold and disregard you out of hand.

But its no different than the people who are happy to harass and act against people who may not have those defenses. The ability to walk away, this is why it is of value to hold on places like this.

There is nothing of value here as long as people can simply dump poop all over the place. Harassment is a daily part of life on the internet as any kind of public figure no matter how small. If you aren't prepared to deal with it you should reconsider making yourself a public figure.

It doesn't matter how horrible i find harassing people or how much i disavow harassing people it will still happen. Having your identity tied down would prevent people from protecting themselves from the repercussions of issuing harassment as well as slinging poo. Unless of course you never report harassers, in which case you support them.

If you think it will make this forum less toxic, you need to look at reality.

The more anonymity the more toxicity there will be. It is no coincidence that the place of peak anonymity is the also the place of peak toxicity.

11/15/2018 03:49 AMPosted by Maizou
11/15/2018 02:58 AMPosted by Shippujinlai

This sounds like an absolute blessing to these forums. The harsh light shining on your true self burns away people who hide behind their anonymity to start crap.

You would not have a problem using a static identity if you don't start crap and harass people on the forums for their opinions. There isn't any reason to hide your identity on these forums except to protect yourself from the repercussions of your own actions.

I for one welcome such a change.

I've literally posted on the same character for 8 years on these forums. I race changed this toon a year ago and as such, my name changed to Maizou. How the hell is this about me trying to stay anonymous? If I changed toons every 5 minutes it'd be one thing. The only time I post on other characters is if it's like a "Post on your Dark Iron" thread or something.

However, I have PERSONAL sites that my account name/battletag can end up leading people to. As in, REAL LIFE SITES. I do not need people finding me on facebook and such and harassing me there. You may not mind strangers from WoW finding you on social media, but I sure as hell do.

Posting my battletag (even without the numbers) or my account name, is JUST AS BAD AS POSTING MY REAL NAME. And we both know how that went down all those years ago when they announced they were going to do that. I know it's not like that for everyone, but it is for me.

And the few people here who have my battletag may not see how, but I'm not explaining how. :P

And again, I should not be forced to change my battletag just because Blizzard one day decided they wanted to change their forums.

Oh so what this is actually about is that you can't secure your online presence correctly. Rip you then you should have put more thought into it than that.
Also, I just have to say this:

The fact some of you guys think battletags are any less anonymous than character names is weird.

I'd wager a good portion, IF NOT ALL of the level 1 shadow trolls on these forums have posted from the same level 1 shadow trolls for years and don't post on other characters, so posting from their battletag accomplishes the same exact thing. They only post on the level 1 shadow troll because they don't want people harassing their main. Which they can't do with the battletag anyway.

My issue with the battletag, as I said, is people can track me on social media due to the name of the battletag.

This is unsubstantiatable. It amounts to a weak attempt to emotionally blackmail people to your side. If it's true you would have to provide the kind of information that would make it true if untrue to prove it either way.

I haven't personally had a stalker, but I've had friends who had stalkers from wow.

If you honestly think there aren't stalkers that come from WoW, and are asking for actual EVIDENCE of it, then... I dun even know what do with you.

The fact you'd deny there are crazy people in this world is just mind blowing to me.

Oh so what this is actually about is that you can't secure your online presence correctly. Rip you then you should have put more thought into it than that.

Or you know, battletags are supposed to be something we CHOOSE who to share with. Like, you know, it says when we made the battletag.
11/15/2018 04:01 AMPosted by Maizou
I haven't personally had a stalker, but I've had friends who had stalkers from wow.

If you honestly think there aren't stalkers that come from WoW, and are asking for actual EVIDENCE of it, then... I dun even know what do with you.

No i'm saying don't bother posting this because you should never post the kind of information to prove it.

The fact you'd deny there are crazy people in this world is just mind blowing to me.

I've never seen one, only heard unsubstantiated whispering in the background about it. If you've never seen proof of something i would expect you to be equally as sceptical about the existence of such a thing.

Or you know, battletags are supposed to be something we CHOOSE who to share with. Like, you know, it says when we made the battletag.

I disagree completely, battletags are the primary thing you should be putting out there as the handle with which to contact you. By itself it reveals no personal information and acts as a buffer between you and anyone trying to contact you through it giving you the option to cut anyone off before they can send a single message if you aren't expecting their add.

If you violated this barrier by putting personally identifiable information in the battletag itself that's a you personal problem not a systemic problem.
OP, I know this is difficult to believe, but Blizzard are not THAT stupid, I mean they tried to make it so we had to share our real names to get rid of online trolling before...Blizzard wouldn't be so stupid but to risk violating your privacy like that without warning.

The only time Blizzard doesn't have a clue is when you are talking to them about mobile games.
But if you don't accept a random friend request how does that matter. No one can do anything with just a btag.

Dont be so sure.
11/15/2018 04:22 AMPosted by Aehl
But if you don't accept a random friend request how does that matter. No one can do anything with just a btag.

Dont be so sure.

Don't spread misinformation.
11/15/2018 04:18 AMPosted by Elae
OP, I know this is difficult to believe, but Blizzard are not THAT stupid, I mean they tried to make it so we had to share our real names to get rid of online trolling before...Blizzard wouldn't be so stupid but to risk violating your privacy like that without warning.

The only time Blizzard doesn't have a clue is when you are talking to them about mobile games.

The Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc. forums all use your battletag.

So I'm not exactly optimistic right now.
Not sure how i feel about posting as my Btag, i haven't really taken much time to consider it, perhaps i'll change my Btag to Virus just for continuity lol

Right now its Lethal because that's what people knew me as originally.

The Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc. forums all use your battletag.

Yeah but nobody plays those as those aren't normal games.
11/15/2018 04:30 AMPosted by Elae
Yeah but nobody plays those as those aren't normal games.

Hearthstone and Overwatch most certainly have lager player bases.

To be honest I kind of like the one battletag ordeal. I can see someone posting on Overwatch and then recognize them on the Hearthstone forums or the Diablo forums and know who I'm talking to. It's neat.

Hearthstone and Overwatch most certainly have lager player bases.

Hearthstone is just a card game (not a real game to me, that's no different to playing scrabble or Monopoly, real old school kind of games), and Overwatch is a FPS, so that automatically rules it out, only FPS I ever really enjoyed was Half-Life.

To me, the main games are wow (mmorpg), starcraft (RTS), and Diablo (dungeon RPG). These are the only genres I like, the only First Person Shooter that I ever liked was Half-Life, the rest are just awful.

I guess Half-Life the story was done so well...
11/15/2018 03:55 AMPosted by Shippujinlai

What value would a player have being able to find players from the forums to other places, other than to circumvent the rules and use it for harrasment.

That people couldn't come dump steaming truckloads of their hot opinions here and then hide from the fallout. People would be able to remember that you are the one who comes and dumps huge steaming loads on the forums and tries to pass it off as gold and disregard you out of hand.

But its no different than the people who are happy to harass and act against people who may not have those defenses. The ability to walk away, this is why it is of value to hold on places like this.

There is nothing of value here as long as people can simply dump poop all over the place. Harassment is a daily part of life on the internet as any kind of public figure no matter how small. If you aren't prepared to deal with it you should reconsider making yourself a public figure.

It doesn't matter how horrible i find harassing people or how much i disavow harassing people it will still happen. Having your identity tied down would prevent people from protecting themselves from the repercussions of issuing harassment as well as slinging poo. Unless of course you never report harassers, in which case you support them.

If you think it will make this forum less toxic, you need to look at reality.

The more anonymity the more toxicity there will be. It is no coincidence that the place of peak anonymity is the also the place of peak toxicity.

11/15/2018 03:49 AMPosted by Maizou

You remind me of an instructor I had once, a long, long time ago, for a class called "Human Relations in Business" who flat-out insisted that absolute, complete, total honesty was always the best policy in dealing with other human beings. Two seconds' reflection by anyone with any sense and even a very moderate capacity for empathy should show that this is not the case.
11/15/2018 01:01 AMPosted by Petus
11/15/2018 12:59 AMPosted by Prizn
Farewell post = you aren’t going anywhere.

Yeah, really could have silently left if anything, but everyone want the "please don't go" or "I will miss you" posts for that attention and validation.

Some people have posted here a lot and for a long time. They make forum friends with a lot of other active posters. Just because this post doesn't apply to you and isn't directed at you, doesn't mean they're posting it for the narrow minded reasons you think they are.
I suspect many battletags will be changed on this day.
11/15/2018 12:59 AMPosted by Prizn
Farewell post = you aren’t going anywhere.

Prizn post = troll bait.
11/15/2018 01:08 AMPosted by Petus
Nothing you said added any substance to anything.

That's 90% of these forums..... where have you been?
11/15/2018 03:43 AMPosted by Utterly
...Why would you feel it necessary to do so? Discuss the comments; when you resort to attacking the individual, it means you have no valid counterpoint and have surrendered the discussion to the other person. WHO posts what is not important; WHAT they post is (or could be).

I am so glad someone else thinks that on these forums! Common sense to me, but so many seem to be on a different page..

Sadly, common sense left the building long ago
11/15/2018 03:31 AMPosted by Saelwina
I hope they do tie it to battletag. It would add a level of accountability, you have a name/reputation to consider before posting. Would help the forums to mature overnight.

It actually wouldn't that I can see. The only people who have your battletag are your friends. They also for the most part know all your characters as well.

A battletag id would allow poster on the forum to remain anonymous to other people though so there would be none of this make a character on 'x' server and send mail to that person.

OP is worrying about exactly the wrong thing if they are concerned with harassment - people can get harassed far more now than they would with battle tag id.

The only people who should be concerned with battletag id are those that switch characters to sockpuppet since they wouldn't be able to do that anymore.