Elf RPers and the Horde

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
I RP'd a Nightborne Warrior for a little bit. Mostly for RP duels but I've since found greener pastures.
A semi arrogant blademaster who always saw the brute strength and chest thumping of the "lesser races" as inferior to his speed and agility. He also only accepted joining the Horde because he trusted Thalyssra's judgement.

Over time though as he fought duels and lost some he became more and more humbled and began to see that no one fighting style or race is superior to all others. They each had their strengths and weaknesses.
He made many friends and a few enemies but he has since become more accepting of the other races of the Horde.

Still a bit of a arrogant prick when he wins though.
Old habits I guess
10/07/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Morokk
You just made me miss Brill from back in the day. :(

I super miss Brill. It was quite the RP hub on Moon Guard back in Wrath, but as soon as the Cata changes came out, it became an actual ghost town. I don't think I've ever seen anyone RPing there since then.
10/08/2018 01:11 AMPosted by Lintsehsu
Its so weird for me to hear that there is homophobia among horde RPers... the horde is *supposed* to be all about accepting and making a family out of the outcasts of society.

Never be too sure of the lengths individuals will go to espouse hate or just look to ruin someone else's time. As much as we may think each race/faction my have a specific OOC demographic to them, they really dont and you never know who you end up on the other side of the screen.

Though it shouldn't come to surprise that moo man here is a Leave No Trace and Sierra Club member. Moo-man also has a figure more in common with a skinnier Nightborne than a hulking tauren. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
Its so weird for me to hear that there is homophobia among horde RPers... the horde is *supposed* to be all about accepting and making a family out of the outcasts of society.

Technically speaking, homophobia doesn't even exist canonically within Azeroth. No one within any of the WoW media has ever made a homophobic remark, and even the times when Blood Elf men are teased for being feminine, they... kind of own it ("I need a scrunchie. Yeah, you heard me!").

My personal thought on homophobia leaking into Horde RP is because, from an OOC perspective, the Horde is all about raging testosterone. It feels like the Horde attracts people who have more "conventional" views of masculinity, which, again, feeds into Blood Elves getting teased and even harassed just for being Blood Elves.

I don't think I've ever noticed that problem on the Alliance. Speaking as the B and the T in the delicious LGBT sandwich, Alliance has always seemed far more diverse and welcoming than the Horde.
My Blood Knight has done cultural exchange training with the Sunwalkers in Thunder Bluff. He loved it - like going to camp, for kids who like camp.

He is cautiously, distantly polite to the Forsaken in Ghostlands, and secretly watching for them to make an aggressive move to sieze it, hoping for a reason why they can finally be pushed out for good.

He doesn't mind Darkspear Trolls. He also has zero problem smiting Amani, Gurubashi or other hostiles.

Orcs are fine, on their side of the water. And yes, Tym is a snob about culture. Thunder Bluff is quaint, but Orgrimmar is not. He doesn't linger.

Pandaren are fine, and Pandaria is lovely even in its rural parts. They also have the good taste to make red and gold a prestige color scheme. He considers them civilized.

Suramar is the only city other than Silvermoon he considers an actual city, with the possible exception of (suitably enchanted and civilized) Dalaran. Nightborne are fine, if a little weird.

Goblins are opportunistic vermin, and he doesn't even pretend to be fond of them. He tolerates them for the sake of alliances, under duress.
Kelorestus actually grew up among humans. That being said, he does have a blood loyalty towards Quel'thalas, but he has quite a few gripes about the Horde.

An Orc raiding party killed his siblings, two older sisters and a younger brother. And while, intellectually, he knew that was a band of insane, demon-worshipping cultists, not the Horde, he can't quite make that distinction emotionally, leading him to be very guarded around any orcs he meets.

Most of his interactions have been with the hostile Amani trolls, so it's a similar story with Darkspear: he's really cautious with them, but doesn't attack outright.

With Forsaken, however, he has to actively fight his instincts as a sort of druidic proto-paladin. Every ounce of his being tells him to put them back in the dirt where they belong. But the Forsaken are allegedly "different," despite how cold and malevolent they behave as a society. So he can't take them out back and decapitate them like he feels like he should. Especially not with the Warchief being undead.

Tauren are one of the few races that don't trip his combatative instincts, being fellow druids themselves.

He grudgingly gets along with goblins. They provide a service, insufferable chancers they might be, and they know how to make themselves invaluable, so as much as he'd love to knock their heads about with a stein of ale, they're annoying at worst.

Nightborne are snobs, but they're not terribly unlike most sin'dorei, so he just adopts his "you're talking to a stuffy-shirted magister" approach with them.
10/08/2018 06:57 AMPosted by Malvalen

Technically speaking, homophobia doesn't even exist canonically within Azeroth. No one within any of the WoW media has ever made a homophobic remark, and even the times when Blood Elf men are teased for being feminine, they... kind of own it ("I need a scrunchie. Yeah, you heard me!").

My personal thought on homophobia leaking into Horde RP is because, from an OOC perspective, the Horde is all about raging testosterone. It feels like the Horde attracts people who have more "conventional" views of masculinity, which, again, feeds into Blood Elves getting teased and even harassed just for being Blood Elves.

I don't think I've ever noticed that problem on the Alliance. Speaking as the B and the T in the delicious LGBT sandwich, Alliance has always seemed far more diverse and welcoming than the Horde.

You should check out the pandaren to community. At least on wyrmrest the pandaren like to hang out in neutral hubs where both horde and alliance characters are welcome, and some of the most notable members of the community are in non-straight relationships.
10/08/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Malvalen
10/07/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Morokk
You just made me miss Brill from back in the day. :(

I super miss Brill. It was quite the RP hub on Moon Guard back in Wrath, but as soon as the Cata changes came out, it became an actual ghost town. I don't think I've ever seen anyone RPing there since then.

Brill, Moon Guard--back in the day was fantastic. Every night I was in the Inn. I fondly recall Noctus and others whose names I will probably randomly recall at 4am.
I always always ALWAYS give the benefit of the doubt and trust to my fellow Rpers no matter the races or stereotypes - Sure I might roll my eyes at an Orc beating their brow or being belligerent, but i'll usually not assume the worst until it happens

Leileran himself is also remarkably tolerant and friendly, so that tends to help. I'm a big fan of the idea of the Horde, outcast races that put their foot down to give two middle fingers to the other superpower in the world to unite and do things on their own terms, which leads to interesting interactions between the more higher classes Blood Elves/Nightborne and the various other Horde races with various other ideologies. I'm just not a fan of the current writing of the Horde, but not much to be done there.

I do tend to make note of when RPers are not putting their backbone into their roleplay - All too often, if I do see Orcs/trolls/whatever engaging in that uncomfortable 'haha, elves, their men like other men' or 'raging testosterone' sort of attitudes, they don't have much steam past that - if the subject of the conversation goes off the rails to something less sexual/diverting away from their 'look at me i'm so #savage', they get silent or break off to do something else.

I just kinda wish more is explored with Orcs/Trolls/whatnot, there's probably a lot of interesting writing you could do. Story of the Hordes narrative as a whole, tbh, so i'm not surprised, i'm just disappointed
“The high elves are a broken people in general. Any level of personal pride or arrogance is simply out of habit. We are not even close to the level of advancement that we were when we were in our prime. We don't have a king or queen and many of our people have fallen into the temptation of the void.

We only came into the service of the Horde after the former ranger general Sylvanas Windrunner let us in.

The truth of the matter is the few Blood Elves that are left need the Horde a lot more than the Horde needs us, and the small bit of un-corrupted space we have could easily be taken if we didn't have the Undercity.

I dream of a day the Blood Elves and High Elves will take back the Isle of Quel Danas, but frankly, now, were spread too thin."
If you look at how blood elves view the horde dont just consider race also consider class. Lower class blood elves see the horde as a oppurtunity for wealth and social mobility. A middle class family might see a chance in war to earn a spot among the noble houses. A merchant family a chance to trade in the fertile grounds in kalimdor.

What would be happiness for an upper middle class blood elf man? A nightborne wife, A Tauren gardener, a troll cook , a forsaken butler and a Pandaren nanny.
10/10/2018 05:11 AMPosted by Lintsehsu
You should check out the pandaren to community. At least on wyrmrest the pandaren like to hang out in neutral hubs where both horde and alliance characters are welcome, and some of the most notable members of the community are in non-straight relationships.

I actually have a Panda on WrA, I'd be interested to see what that's all about.

10/10/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Pashinka
Brill, Moon Guard--back in the day was fantastic. Every night I was in the Inn. I fondly recall Noctus and others whose names I will probably randomly recall at 4am.

Noctus sounds familiar but I can't place them. I was RPing heavily with Kiss of the Betrayer at that time, and I remember quite a few encounters in the inn with Florrik and his crew (he was such a jerk to Mal, up until he needed resurrection and Mal was one of the only Shadowmenders at the time).

Oh and Ishbaneer, KotB's leader, just came back to WoW not too long ago and started RPing with my current group, so that's been pretty awesome.