I love lightning as a class fantasy

Shaman
Just wish it wasn't tied to a turret concept. When I think of lightning based playstyles I don't usually think of standing still spamming lightning bolt. That's not even mentioning that a great deal of the game revolves around movement which feels super sluggish for elemental.

Honestly if elemental shaman was designed around mid-high mobility lightning casts that'd be really cool. Probably a multitude of problems with this ofc, but could be a fun idea.
10/25/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Sonjakal
Just wish it wasn't tied to a turret concept. When I think of lightning based playstyles I don't usually think of standing still spamming lightning bolt. That's not even mentioning that a great deal of the game revolves around movement which feels super sluggish for elemental.

Honestly if elemental shaman was designed around mid-high mobility lightning casts that'd be really cool. Probably a multitude of problems with this ofc, but could be a fun idea.

Seriously. When I think of warlock, I think of a class that is slow moving, creatures of death. That may be because of the vanilla cinematic that depicts the warlock as a slow moving undead, spreading death as they move forward. Not only that, but they have a pet that, in theory, keeps them from needing to move.

When I imagine someone using lightning as a weapon, I see it as a fast moving strike, coming from nowhere to strike down their target. I don't imagine a storm of lightning to something that has very little activity.

Ele should have some kind of blink based around lightning. It makes perfect sense for them to flash from one point to another. Blizzard speaks of "class fantasy", but ignores so many great thematically correct possibilities, and not just for shaman. I'm almost positive they use class fantasy as a term to mean homogenized, and watered down, because they are missing so much, on so many points.
I agree, when I think of DotA’s Storm Spirit I think of a very mobile lightning spell caster that can turn himself into etheric lightning to zap around the battlefield.
I think a blink would be ideal but Blizz doesn’t want to give us that, they instead merely focus on Ghost Wolf.

Edit: I completely forgot Throne of Thunder does this well too with those orbs that transform and teleport you as a ball of lightning.
How tf Blizzard thinks that Lightning is immobile is beyond me.

Ele should have some kind of blink based around lightning. It makes perfect sense for them to flash from one point to another. Blizzard speaks of "class fantasy"

Yea I was thinking something similar to kennen's lightning rush ability from League of Legends.
For me I see two opposing things when I think of a Lightning wielder.

The first is a brutal warrior wielding Lighting in hand to destroy those who dare block their way. Thor, norse god or Marvel Superhero etc. Quick, agile, mobile, beats you to paste with a super charged hammer - Enhancement Shaman in essence.

The second is the Lightning wizard (or cleric in D&D). The one who summons great and powerful storms, and rains Lightning down on their foes from afar. - This should be Elemental in my opinion. I get that blizz wants shaman to harness all of the elements and not just 1 or two, so we end up with Fire, Frost, and "earth" damage as well as lightning. I'm ok with that tbh, but I would absolutely love the option to Feel like a Lightning summoner of doom (glyph for EQ is really all I need for that tbh).
Blizz already admitted to shaman not having a well defined niche, and Elemental has never had a clear class fantasy. Wouldn't now be the ideal time to flesh out that fantasy and build the gameplay around it?

It seems like right now they're stuck trying to keep the elemental gameplay we know (lava burst + earth shock being main damage dealers) but are trying to force lightning bolt into it by increasing its damage through SK and overloads. When I test out the 'lightning build' on PTR I often feel like I'm playing two different dps rotations at the same time which CAN be cool but I feel like it's taking the spec in a weird direction.
Mobility is also a balance thing so I won’t touch it here but a simple thing to get us headed the right way:

Ground targeted aoe lightning storm anyone?
Hmm after some careful consideration I could see how lightning COULD be a immobile class fantasy aspect.
Hear me out, what if instead of embodying the storm like Enhancement, Elemental focuses on channeling the storm like a living Lightning Rod? In that case you are acting as a vessel that quite literally grounds the lightning.
If we were to think of Elemental as this Lightning Rod analogy, I think we can agree it makes sense.
Just my thought.
My name is Barry Allen, and I am...

a shaman :(
10/25/2018 09:46 AMPosted by Alyuzandro
I agree, when I think of DotA’s Storm Spirit I think of a very mobile lightning spell caster that can turn himself into etheric lightning to zap around the battlefield.
I think a blink would be ideal but Blizz doesn’t want to give us that, they instead merely focus on Ghost Wolf.

Edit: I completely forgot Throne of Thunder does this well too with those orbs that transform and teleport you as a ball of lightning.

Add gust back but make it lightning themed for mobility. That or a new targeted moblity option like heroic leap but have it be a lightning teleport
I think lightning bolt feels horrible to press. It is a 2 second cast for paltry dmg. It is what I feel obliged to press when nothing good is available. What would it take to actually have this feel cool to press? I realize it is a filler and builds a bit of maelstrom, but it feels lame.

What if LB had a mechanic like the current storm elemental built-in, where the more you cast, the faster each cast gets. This is the one situation where I actually like pressing lightning bolt. However, the time limit and the sheer number of stacks makes it feel like all i can press is lighting bolt.

Maybe casting LB could give a buff that stacks 2 times so we can get the cast time down to 1.5 or even 1 sec. It could also affect our other nature spells (healing and hex would be awesome). This would put more dmg into lightning bolt because we would be casting it more often and add some much needed meaningful/enjoyable interactivity between spells.

Not really thought out, but this post had me thinking...
The only time i cast lightning bolt in pvp is after casting stormkeeper.

Between ice fury and lava burst and the immense amount of kiting needed, there's hardly ever a chance to stop and cast lightning bolt anyway. Plus when you do, it's just a wet noodle.

Most underwhelming spell in the game that is considered a builder/filler.
I also feel like enhance has far more lightning related stuff going on. Why can't ele get ride the lightning??? Wouldn't that make far more sense for ele??
10/25/2018 04:31 PMPosted by Flumph
I also feel like enhance has far more lightning related stuff going on. Why can't ele get ride the lightning??? Wouldn't that make far more sense for ele??

No it doesn't. Enh ride the lightning towards an enemy closing the gap to rain down powerful elemental enhanced blows [in theory] while ele wants to stay as far from the fight as possible while delivering damage in the distance.
10/25/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Shaurayssa
10/25/2018 04:31 PMPosted by Flumph

No it doesn't. Enh ride the lightning towards an enemy closing the gap to rain down powerful elemental enhanced blows [in theory] while ele wants to stay as far from the fight as possible while delivering damage in the distance.

You realise ride the lightning casts a chain lightning right? It's not static cling.
10/25/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Alyuzandro
Hmm after some careful consideration I could see how lightning COULD be a immobile class fantasy aspect.
Hear me out, what if instead of embodying the storm like Enhancement, Elemental focuses on channeling the storm like a living Lightning Rod? In that case you are acting as a vessel that quite literally grounds the lightning.
If we were to think of Elemental as this Lightning Rod analogy, I think we can agree it makes sense.
Just my thought.

That's how I justify the turret style gameplay.
Still doesn't make it very fun though.
What I'd like to see is balancing based on pvp first and then pve. I feel it doesn't make sense to make an immobile turret have one defensive that isn't useable while stunned when being stunned is usually our downfall. Especially to rogues. Not too mention one defensive and then a stun that takes what is it? 2 seconds to actually stun? Look I get it were not suppose to be good against rogues, but give us a chance atleast for ele, give Astral shift useable during stun. Enhancement I can turn tides seeing as I apply pressure back instantly without having to cast. I thought you were suppose to feel rewarded fake casting but with ele you just get stepped on from certain classes.
Should be like Raiden from Mortal Kombat!