Zero wrong with sharding at the start

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
go play live wow for sharding we dont want it in classic give is classic wow not some remake abomination
11/06/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Brockthorn

Say server cap is 6K. 6K start but only 2K reach level 5 and move to the next zone ?

What if...6K start and 5K move to the next zone ? You'll need sharding right ?

here's some hard numbers for you:
Northdale peaked in June with 12K. It's November now and peak is 9K.
Only 25% dropped out over the course of 6 months.

If the population doesn't dwindle, sharding is indeed a problem. But the players that joined Northdale will be very different from the ones that will be joining Classic.

Consider the BfA players for example. We don't have official numbers, but an API leak has shown there are at the very least 1.7 million subscribers. All of them can just download and take a loot at the game. Some players can't wait for Classic, some will discover a new passion... but the others?

And there is the portion that just want a nostalgia trip. And there is the portion that will realize they cannot invest the time anymore. And there is the portion that will just play for a bit, like they do with all games.

The prospect is indeed a significant and quick reduction of the playerbase.
11/06/2018 07:09 AMPosted by Brockthorn
11/06/2018 07:05 AMPosted by Fallanaa

That's where we differ. I consider Northshire, and the other starting "mini-zones" part of Elwynn, Teldrassil, etc... As they have the same zone-wide general chat (if I remember correctly.)

I would think that sharding will also help spread that out a bit more, since it won't take people quite as long since they won't have to fight as much frustration to get out of the early starting mini-zones.

I still don't see a negative to it being in the starting zones since the benefit of it not being an absolute disaster far outweigh any negative of not seeing thousands of people in one tiny contained area. (Which I don't want to see anyway.)

I think part of some peoples' problem is that private servers have misled their perceptions and expectations. We DON'T want Classic to be like Nostalrius or Light's Hope. In no way, shape, or form.

So you're assuming we all march to level 10 and need sharding but after that we don't. Why ? What magically happens at level 11 that you suddenly have less people in the zone ? You're next zone is 10-20..there's only 3 and for aliance most will to to Westfall because of DM.

Also people don't think about when you get to the higher level contested zones. Now you aren't just competing against your own faction for mobs/quest items but of the opposite faction too :D
11/06/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Orgrm
go play live wow for sharding we dont want it in classic give is classic wow not some remake abomination

No one 'wants' it my dude. We are simply talking about how we understand there is a necessity for it for the first couple hours/levels.
11/06/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Orgrm

Wanting sharding in the starting areas at launch is not the same as wanting BfA.

Also, Classic WoW is what is currently being made. It was never going to be a 100% 1:1 port of Vanilla. We are getting the essence of Vanilla in a new wrapper. And so far it looks great. Yes, there are tweaks to be made like regen, hunter pet stuff, etc... But after playing the demo, and listening to the Classic panel, and being a programmer myself... Yeah. I'm excited for Classic.

I don't want BfA. I want an enhanced Vanilla experience. And that is what Classic is really shaping up to be.
11/06/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Apexwarrior
11/06/2018 07:09 AMPosted by Brockthorn

So you're assuming we all march to level 10 and need sharding but after that we don't. Why ? What magically happens at level 11 that you suddenly have less people in the zone ? You're next zone is 10-20..there's only 3 and for aliance most will to to Westfall because of DM.

Also people don't think about when you get to the higher level contested zones. Now you aren't just competing against your own faction for mobs/quest items but of the opposite faction too :D

Yes, but the population will be really spread out at that point, also 90% of the quests you do in contested areas are not the same quests the opposite faction has. So you won't even be killing the same mobs half the time or even be in the same area of the zone.
11/06/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Fallanaa
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with sharding in the starting zones, since sharding does not affect community in the slightest.

"we feel that sharding should be a thing just for starting zones."

"ooh yeah and some mid tier zones just on this one server because its lightly overloaded right now."

"whats this? you guys discovered shading is on X server? months post launch, yeah we turned it on temporary to help with stability options."

"don't worry guys we are monitoring!"

its a slippery slope to have this feature at all and given blizzards track record I do not trust them.
11/06/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Apexwarrior

But, that's a complete different situation. There aren't going to be hundreds of people in a tiny, cramped area, all trying to tag the same mobs at the same time.

In a large, spread out zone, you may have 5-10 people you are competing for the same exact mobs at the same exact time for.

No need for sharding there. But HUNDREDS maybe THOUSANDS of people in the starting zones working on the same quests at the same time. No bueno.
I do want sharding initially since the early levelling experience is ruined when you have 1000 players in westfall.

There should never be sharding in higher level zones or after the initial rush.
11/06/2018 06:44 AMPosted by Babana
Hypocrisy.
They want to give the authentic classic exp. They talked about how DEBUFFS were a technical thing and the devs of the time would increase it if they could have but RAM would not allow.
So they'll keep 16 debuffs because Sharding.

Apples to oranges.
Mechanics, health, damage - were tuned for the max debuff slots.

Sharding was used to prevent server crashes and queues.
11/06/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Skullface

"ooh yeah and some mid tier zones just on this one server because its lightly overloaded right now."

"whats this? you guys discovered shading is on X server? months post launch, yeah we turned it on temporary to help with stability options."

its a slippery slope to have this feature at all and given blizzards track record I do not trust them.

Well, I don't fall into the slippery slope fallacies.

If they don't follow their own guidelines, then I simply stop giving them my money as I did in Legion.

It's not really that difficult.
11/06/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Skullface
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with sharding in the starting zones, since sharding does not affect community in the slightest.

That isn't the issue at hand. You are talking about IF they lie and continue using it, which will end up being an issue but this isn't what we are talking about.
11/06/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Fallanaa
11/06/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Greenemprah
OP is known to concern troll and mass report people who disagree with them.

Actually, there are several people in this thread that have disagreed with me and we've been having polite discourse. Until you came into the thread to harass me, and have been reported for doing so. Your points are invalid, now please move along and enjoy the rest of your day.

11/06/2018 07:34 AMPosted by Voidmalign
But I tend to agree, if it does happen and ONLY stays for the first week or two I can't see much harm. There will still be plenty of people around on our servers to meet and build connections with in those two weeks even if we get put in temporary bubbles to ease the load.

On the first day of classic in 2004 just over 100,000 people were playing, it is going to probably be way more this time now that all of BFA players can freely check it out on top of the people coming back just for Classic, so even if we get split it will probably still emulate the same feel and the starting areas will be packed out no matter what.

Pretty much.

And remember, just because you can't see them doesn't mean you can't interact with them. General chat is still going to be going wild since sharding doesn't affect it, and I'd imagine we're going to see a lot of people looking to group up for quests in the starting zones, so there's still going to be plenty of interaction going on.
Oh wow I can see all that trext, and not the people who are probably right next to me, but essentially in another dimension. yeah that's great.

"hey come meet me at the mailbox at razor hill"
"OK"
"Where are you"
"<expletive> sharding"

And before you go "hurr just invite them!" what if I'm in a group and need to make a stop off, sure I cna tell them but it wastes my and their time. I should be able to see the person already there waiting for me, or see them coming up to give me or to give them what I/they need.

Just because you're ok with it in retail where you barely see people from your own server to begin with, doesn't mean classic players will be ok with it

There is no cross-realm, so everyone you see/speak to is on your realm.

Zone-wide General chat is unaffected, so you can still type /1 LFM killing wolves, Defias, spiders, etc. and get a group you can see, play with, and speak to.

You will still see people, the quests will still at least be completable, and it won't take people 6 hours just to complete a starting quest because of mob tagging...

PvP is unaffected, as most starting zones are sanctuaries anyway.

I absolutely do not believe that sharding should extend beyond the starting areas, but I absolutely see ZERO negatives for it in the starting areas around launch time.

Other than it kicks the server community square in the groin from the start?
A lot of freindships and communities were made in the starting zones
11/06/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Greenemprah
11/06/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Fallanaa
Actually, there are several people in this thread that have disagreed with me and we've been having polite discourse. Until you came into the thread to harass me, and have been reported for doing so. Your points are invalid, now please move along and enjoy the rest of your day.

Pretty much.

And remember, just because you can't see them doesn't mean you can't interact with them. General chat is still going to be going wild since sharding doesn't affect it, and I'd imagine we're going to see a lot of people looking to group up for quests in the starting zones, so there's still going to be plenty of interaction going on.
Oh wow I can see all that trext, and not the people who are probably right next to me, but essentially in another dimension. yeah that's great.

"hey come meet me at the mailbox at razor hill"
"OK"
"Where are you"
"<expletive> sharding"

And before you go "hurr just invite them!" what if I'm in a group and need to make a stop off, sure I cna tell them but it wastes my and their time. I should be able to see the person already there waiting for me, or see them coming up to give me or to give them what I/they need.

Just because you're ok with it in retail where you barely see people from your own server to begin with, doesn't mean classic players will be ok with it

This would be a major issue.... if it wasn't explained to us that it was going to be extremely temporary. Literally just wait a couple days to play and I am sure this will never happen.
Okay, fine, bring in sharding. Just tell me where to go to play classic since it wont be available here while the sellouts are out in full force.
11/06/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Brockthorn

Say server cap is 6K. 6K start but only 2K reach level 5 and move to the next zone ?

What if...6K start and 5K move to the next zone ? You'll need sharding right ?

here's some hard numbers for you:
Northdale peaked in June with 12K. It's November now and peak is 9K.
Only 25% dropped out over the course of 6 months.

If the population doesn't dwindle, sharding is indeed a problem. But the players that joined Northdale will be very different from the ones that will be joining Classic.

Consider the BfA players for example. We don't have official numbers, but an API leak has shown there are at the very least 1.7 million subscribers. All of them can just download and take a loot at the game. Some players can't wait for Classic, some will discover a new passion... but the others?

And there is the portion that just want a nostalgia trip. And there is the portion that will realize they cannot invest the time anymore. And there is the portion that will just play for a bit, like they do with all games.

The prospect is indeed a significant and quick reduction of the playerbase.

actually a lot of players joined Northdale because of the announce last year.
Lots of chat around classic and how they were there to practice, remember, find raiding guilds. Chat is still focused around that. There is a big concern about sharding though but still most are looking forward to wow classic. And many, including myself, had never played on a pserver before.
11/06/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Tuathaa

There is no cross-realm, so everyone you see/speak to is on your realm.

Zone-wide General chat is unaffected, so you can still type /1 LFM killing wolves, Defias, spiders, etc. and get a group you can see, play with, and speak to.

You will still see people, the quests will still at least be completable, and it won't take people 6 hours just to complete a starting quest because of mob tagging...

PvP is unaffected, as most starting zones are sanctuaries anyway.

I absolutely do not believe that sharding should extend beyond the starting areas, but I absolutely see ZERO negatives for it in the starting areas around launch time.

Other than it kicks the server community square in the groin from the start?
A lot of freindships and communities were made in the starting zones

In my opinion, from a launch standpoint, this will create more friendships. You aren't making ANY friends if you are questing with 1000 other people doing the same quest. People WILL treat it like LFR in retail and just join the group to get what they want (the mob tag) and then leave without saying a word. If you haven't ever played on any pserver launch or if you haven't played when vanilla/tbc launched you wouldn't understand.

Lets not act like we are going to be making friends with literally everyone at launch around us, that's just silly. Plus you will see them after level 10 from what blizz has said so whats the issue? You don't even need to group for anything pre-10 outside of a couple quests that happen AT level 10.
11/06/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Kansaskidd

This would be a major issue.... if it wasn't explained to us that it was going to be extremely temporary. Literally just wait a couple days to play and I am sure this will never happen.

Ion said it might be in place for a few weeks.
That would impact low levels making bags, giving enchants, etc in the 1-10 zones.

I'm sure you remember the zone chatter...bring your linen and thread to town and tailor is at mailbox to make your bags to level up their skill. Same with enchants. Grouping mostly happened for quests and then after you got there and saw others doing the same quest..click on their avatar to form a group or /say "can I join".
11/06/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Iseededpeple
Okay, fine, bring in sharding. Just tell me where to go to play classic since it wont be available here while the sellouts are out in full force.

Just play it a couple days after launch? Then you can play it without sharding.