Zero wrong with sharding at the start

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
11/06/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Apocryphal
Apples to oranges.
Mechanics, health, damage - were tuned for the max debuff slots.

This is the second apples to oranges post I've gotten and it's not.

No sharding is no different than only one person receiving a quest item from Ony for your T2. You're advancing faster than others around you is no different than when you're in the starting zone, and you get your quest done first.

Why do you care how fast you advance through the starting zone when you're on a static server with no end in sight to begin with. Why are you missing out on not being able to do a few quests for the first week?
11/06/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Tuathaa
Other than it kicks the server community square in the groin from the start?
A lot of freindships and communities were made in the starting zones

Except that it doesn't, and friendships and community building is still going to happen, since you can still interact with everyone in the zone. If they're in a different shard, all you need do to play with them beyond chatting with them is group up with them (which is what many people want to do anyway.) Without shared tagging (which is apparently not happening), you will need to group with someone if you want to quest with them anyway, so sharding in the starting zones at launch doesn't affect that at all.
11/06/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Fallanaa
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with sharding in the starting zones, since sharding does not affect community in the slightest.

There is no cross-realm, so everyone you see/speak to is on your realm.

Zone-wide General chat is unaffected, so you can still type /1 LFM killing wolves, Defias, spiders, etc. and get a group you can see, play with, and speak to.

You will still see people, the quests will still at least be completable, and it won't take people 6 hours just to complete a starting quest because of mob tagging...

PvP is unaffected, as most starting zones are sanctuaries anyway.

I absolutely do not believe that sharding should extend beyond the starting areas, but I absolutely see ZERO negatives for it in the starting areas around launch time.
Found the retail player, don't you have some LFR to do?

Lets not act like we are going to be making friends with literally everyone at launch around us, that's just silly. Plus you will see them after level 10 from what blizz has said so whats the issue? You don't even need to group for anything pre-10 outside of a couple quests that happen AT level 10.

Are you forgetting ?
You did have to group for some 1-10 quests..the quest even tells you it's a group quest.
All those quest bosses in retail were elites back then. You could not solo them.
Vagash in Dun Morogh is a level 11 elite..that's a group quest.

Spider cave, troll cave, yeti cave were pretty dangerous solo as well.
11/06/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Babana

Except that they are.

Why do you care how fast you advance through the starting zone when you're on a static server with no end in sight to begin with. Why are you missing out on not being able to do a few quests for the first week?

No point in playing the game if you can't do anything but stand around and talk while others are progressing. If that's what you want, I'm sure you can find chat servers for that express purpose.
11/06/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Brockthorn
11/06/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Kansaskidd

This would be a major issue.... if it wasn't explained to us that it was going to be extremely temporary. Literally just wait a couple days to play and I am sure this will never happen.

Ion said it might be in place for a few weeks.
That would impact low levels making bags, giving enchants, etc in the 1-10 zones.

I'm sure you remember the zone chatter...bring your linen and thread to town and tailor is at mailbox to make your bags to level up their skill. Same with enchants. Grouping mostly happened for quests and then after you got there and saw others doing the same quest..click on their avatar to form a group or /say "can I join".

I remember a lot of this happening post 10 though. I don't remember anyone sitting around these zones pre 10 doing this.

Even if it was the first weeks it still does not matter. It is literally a couple weeks then you will literally NEVER think about it again. You aren't going to be sitting at level 60 two years from now saying "Man I still really wish they didn't have sharding for those first couple weeks, I could have made 5 more silver and I missed out on so many friends."

This will not happen. There is so much overreaction going on right now, it honestly disappoints me to be considered part of this forum.
11/06/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Brockthorn

Lets not act like we are going to be making friends with literally everyone at launch around us, that's just silly. Plus you will see them after level 10 from what blizz has said so whats the issue? You don't even need to group for anything pre-10 outside of a couple quests that happen AT level 10.

Are you forgetting ?
You did have to group for some 1-10 quests..the quest even tells you it's a group quest.
All those quest bosses in retail were elites back then. You could not solo them.
Vagash in Dun Morogh is a level 11 elite..that's a group quest.

Go back to what you quoted me, and then bold the last couple words you chose to glance over to get your answer.
11/06/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Classicsoon

Haven't played retail since mid-Legion over a year ago. Reported for harassment.

Also, why would I want to do LFR? It won't be available in Classic.
11/06/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Apocryphal
Apples to oranges.
Mechanics, health, damage - were tuned for the max debuff slots.

No sharding is no different than only one person receiving a quest item from Ony for your T2. You're advancing faster than others around you is no different than when you're in the starting zone, and you get your quest done first.

You are so far removed from logic, there is no sense in explaining this to you if you think this is actually comparable.
11/06/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
If sharding stays at 1-10 for the first couple days. There will literally be 0 issues. These guys are just freaking the F out because they are worried that blizz will make it longer than that. Blizzard has said they understand this and they won't do that. But that isn't enough for these guys so they are freaking out.

The issue isn't the actual idea for the sharding, its that they are worried they will continue using it.

Are you, at all, surprised, that the people who constantly claimed it was a slippery slope are continuing to do so?

"One change will lead to LFG and Flying!"
> Blizz specifically says absurd examples like that are not going to happen, thus saying your Slippery Slope is bad.

At least now their slippery slope is incrementally far less significant.
11/06/2018 08:26 AMPosted by Fallanaa
11/06/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Classicsoon

Haven't played retail since mid-Legion over a year ago. Reported for harassment.

Also, why would I want to do LFR? It won't be available in Classic.

Same happened to me yesterday in another thread.
From what I understand this is what retail players do in order to discredit you.
If you aren't doing heroic or better raids then your comments don't count.

I just put the poster that said the same to me on ignore.
11/06/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Fallanaa
No point in playing the game if you can't do anything but stand around and talk while others are progressing.
Then we won't be seeing people that can't handle the first week starting zone. Why should people that can't handle vanilla experience be catered to?

YOu literally just bragged about how fun it was to socialize with people in the starting zones.
I highly prefer it to not be in the game at all however if it was in for only first 5 levels for first 3 days, it would not be detrimental.
11/06/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Cuina
11/06/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
If sharding stays at 1-10 for the first couple days. There will literally be 0 issues. These guys are just freaking the F out because they are worried that blizz will make it longer than that. Blizzard has said they understand this and they won't do that. But that isn't enough for these guys so they are freaking out.

The issue isn't the actual idea for the sharding, its that they are worried they will continue using it.

Are you, at all, surprised, that the people who constantly claimed it was a slippery slope are continuing to do so?

"One change will lead to LFG and Flying!"
> Blizz specifically says absurd examples like that are not going to happen, thus saying your Slippery Slope is bad.

At least now their slippery slope is incrementally far less significant.

If I’m being honest, yeah I am a little surprised they are still continuing with this mindset. Why? Because I was a slippery slope person half a year ago. But this is only because all we got were minor updates every 5 months and in a blue post which had me worried.

But after listening to the classic panel and HEARING how serious they are taking classic wow and how they even addressed every major concern the community had and how they said really has me baffled about the amount of people still saying the sky is falling.

It honesty does surprise me.
11/06/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Derka
If people are okay with standing around waiting for mobs to spawn, I say leave it out. But if you start crying about spawn times and get on some "OMG I have limited play time and I'm just wasting time waiting for boars to spawn" crap, feel free to shut up.

So basically, people who have work and classes should shut up and not bother playing the game they are paying for?
Speak in general chat and people will still socialize with you. This happened to me just yesterday in the demo. Had a long chat with some people that I was nowhere near, and added two b.net friends to play with later on.

but
No point in playing the game if you can't do anything but stand around and talk while others are progressing.

No sharding.
11/06/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Babana
11/06/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Fallanaa
Then we won't be seeing people that can't handle the first week starting zone. Why should people that can't handle vanilla experience be catered to?

YOu literally just bragged about how fun it was to socialize with people in the starting zones.

I do too... but it will only be different for a couple weeks so what’s the issue? It won’t be permanent. And if they lie and do make it permanent then just quit! Vote with your wallet. That’s what I’ll do if they go back and make sharding anything more than what they said it would be.
If they’re using it specifically and exclusively to handle the launch window in starting zones, I wouldn’t mind much. Yes, it’s a compromise, but the surge of players coming in for a product launch requires SOME sort of solution for stability, and sharding on a strictly temporary basis is one of the better ones.

With that said, I would want the shards to still each contain as many players as possible. It should be a solution for the technical problem of capacity, not the creative problem of how long people should be expected to wait for quest mobs or whatever.

I would not want to see any sharding outside of that initial launch window. We’re talking a week, tops, then it gets turned off for good.
11/06/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
11/06/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Iseededpeple
Okay, fine, bring in sharding. Just tell me where to go to play classic since it wont be available here while the sellouts are out in full force.

Just play it a couple days after launch? Then you can play it without sharding.

How about the people who want sharding wait a few days to a couple of weeks before joining if theyre worried about being overcrowded? Why do we have to get retail Classic Lite instead of Classic Proper to appease the convenience loving sellouts we're trying to get away from?
11/06/2018 07:09 AMPosted by Brockthorn
11/06/2018 07:05 AMPosted by Fallanaa

That's where we differ. I consider Northshire, and the other starting "mini-zones" part of Elwynn, Teldrassil, etc... As they have the same zone-wide general chat (if I remember correctly.)

I would think that sharding will also help spread that out a bit more, since it won't take people quite as long since they won't have to fight as much frustration to get out of the early starting mini-zones.

I still don't see a negative to it being in the starting zones since the benefit of it not being an absolute disaster far outweigh any negative of not seeing thousands of people in one tiny contained area. (Which I don't want to see anyway.)

I think part of some peoples' problem is that private servers have misled their perceptions and expectations. We DON'T want Classic to be like Nostalrius or Light's Hope. In no way, shape, or form.

So you're assuming we all march to level 10 and need sharding but after that we don't. Why ? What magically happens at level 11 that you suddenly have less people in the zone ? You're next zone is 10-20..there's only 3 and for aliance most will to to Westfall because of DM.

There are three starting zones, and realistically, most people will finish them before they do anything else. After that, there is a lot more choice as to what they will do. Myself, after I finish the starting zone I plan to spend time in the city working on other things before I continue my adventure. There will be a lot of other people in the cities as well. Of the ones who don't, yes, a lot of them will go to the next zone, but some will be doing other things.