Zero wrong with sharding at the start

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
11/06/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
And if they lie and do make it permanent then just quit! Vote with your wallet.
I have been voting with my wallet on and off for YEARS. Pandas were fun when friends play but when friends quit, pandas are not so fun anymore. Friends drove me to continue to play to defeat The Siege of Ogrimmar. Now that no friends are playing, we're talking about subbing up for Classic because no one wants to buy BFA.
11/06/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Iseededpeple
11/06/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Kansaskidd

Just play it a couple days after launch? Then you can play it without sharding.

How about the people who want sharding wait a few days to a couple of weeks before joining if theyre worried about being overcrowded? Why do we have to get retail Classic Lite instead of Classic Proper to appease the convenience loving sellouts we're trying to get away from?

I have no issue with waiting a couple days. If they said "Hey for the first couple days we will have the leveling zones be like cata azeroth" I would say "Well that's dumb I don't want to play that, I'll just wait a couple days then have the game I love".

But you know, I am an adult and can live without playing games for a couple days/weeks.

If you hate it so much, just be mature about it, and wait. Or you can play and realize it won't be that big of a deal from level 1-10 and you never think about level 1-10 with sharding ever again because if you reroll it won't be there any more.

This is harder to explain to you than it is to explain to a toddler why they need to brush their teeth.
11/06/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Babana
YOu literally just bragged about how fun it was to socialize with people in the starting zones.

Yeah. Socializing with people as in grouping up with them, which you can do using the general chat.

Standing around doing nothing but talking because there are so many people in the zone doing quests that you can't progress is 100% different than using the general chat to find a group in a zone that has sharding, not because you can't progress solo, but because you want to group with someone.

If you can't understand the difference, and are simply going on your anti-sharding bias, then I can't help you.

I do too... but it will only be different for a couple weeks so what’s the issue? It won’t be permanent. And if they lie and do make it permanent then just quit! Vote with your wallet. That’s what I’ll do if they go back and make sharding anything more than what they said it would be.

That's what I decided to do myself. I have some tokens stashed on one of my toons and will use them to get a sub for 3-4 months. That's enough time to see if they hold up their bargain.

What makes me question this is that sharding is supposed to be disabled on RP realms. And it is until it isn't and players complain. Then Blizz turns it off again saying they had to do it because a lot of players were in a zone. The most recent occurrence of this was last July.

And that is the reason why I'm hesitant to just take them at their word.
11/06/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Babana
11/06/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
And if they lie and do make it permanent then just quit! Vote with your wallet.
I have been voting with my wallet on and off for YEARS. Pandas were fun when friends play but when friends quit, pandas are not so fun anymore. Friends drove me to continue to play to defeat The Siege of Ogrimmar. Now that no friends are playing, we're talking about subbing up for Classic because no one wants to buy BFA.

Good! That's how you should do it! Just do it again for literally a week or maybe even sooner when they turn it off if you really don't want it that bad. You have been waiting for a year by now since they announced it right? And you will have almost another year to wait more right? Are you okay? I am guessing you are. So whats another week or two?
11/06/2018 08:38 AMPosted by Kosumi
I would not want to see any sharding outside of that initial launch window. We’re talking a week, tops, then it gets turned off for good.

Which is exactly my position. I don't think it has any place in Classic outside of the launch window in starting zones.
11/06/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Brockthorn

I do too... but it will only be different for a couple weeks so what’s the issue? It won’t be permanent. And if they lie and do make it permanent then just quit! Vote with your wallet. That’s what I’ll do if they go back and make sharding anything more than what they said it would be.

That's what I decided to do myself. I have some tokens stashed on one of my toons and will use them to get a sub for 3-4 months. That's enough time to see if they hold up their bargain.

What makes me question this is that sharding is supposed to be disabled on RP realms. And it is until it isn't and players complain. Then Blizz turns it off again saying they had to do it because a lot of players were in a zone. The most recent occurrence of this was last July.

And that is the reason why I'm hesitant to just take them at their word.

I get that, but that isn't what we are talking about in this specific discussion, we are talking about how little impact blizzards plan as of right now will have.

If they do lie then hell yeah grab the pitchforks and start burning sh*t down. I don't want sharding, and I am assuming almost nobody does. I am just saying their plan is not that big of a deal.
11/06/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
And you will have almost another year to wait more right? Are you okay? I am guessing you are. So whats another week or two?
You're right, they should remove sharding. What's another week or two to start after the congestion right?
11/06/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Babana
11/06/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
And you will have almost another year to wait more right? Are you okay? I am guessing you are. So whats another week or two?
You're right, they should remove sharding. What's another week or two to start after the congestion right?

I personally would have no issue with that either, you are under the impression (even though I have told you multiple times that I don't) that I WANT sharding.

The issue is blizzard WANTS sharding for the launch day so everyone has a smooth experience. They said this on day 1 of the announcement. They said they want everything to be exactly like vanilla, except for the launch day server experience.

A gaming company doesn't want server crashes. They don't want lag at the opening of their game. This could put a sour taste into new comers mouths if they literally can't play the game at all for the first week because it is crashing and lagging so bad.

I am not saying I care about this, I would prefer it to be mayhem. I just have the ability to understand why they would do this and use foresight to see that it won't be that big of an issue. Which I don't see a lot of people on here having tbh.
11/06/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
you are under the impression (even though I have told you multiple times that I don't) that I WANT sharding.
Unless I specifically called you out, I'm sorry you get that impression but don't assume as response to a statement means an Attack towards you as a person. Apologies guy/gal.

Forbes article about D:I
"Consumers have every right to be upset when corporations do a poor job at offering them products they actually want, and yet in gaming (for whatever reason almost entirely unique in this regard) the biggest fans are often the ones who get the most blame."
11/06/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Kansaskidd
If you hate it so much, just be mature about it, and wait. Or you can play and realize it won't be that big of a deal from level 1-10 and you never think about level 1-10 with sharding ever again because if you reroll it won't be there any more.

This is harder to explain to you than it is to explain to a toddler why they need to brush their teeth.

Whose word am I taking on this? Yours, the poster who is willing to negate the whole classic experience on day 1 for convenience sake or the multinational billion dollar corporate who stopped giving a crap about anything that doesn't involve growing profit margins as cheaply as possible?

How many dozen about faces and 180's does this company have to do before you stop believing them?

Theres no way in heck they would allocate the time and resources to sharding in classic unless they planned to make good long use of it well beyond any point they're willing to share with you as a credulous white knighting mark.
11/06/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Fallanaa
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with sharding in the starting zones, since sharding does not affect community in the slightest.
This could perhaps be the most inaccurate statement ever made on this forum.
11/06/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Iseededpeple
Theres no way in heck they would allocate the time and resources to sharding in classic unless they planned to make good long use of it well beyond any point they're willing to share with you as a credulous white knighting mark.

This is not what we are discussing. Again. Let me tell you again. We are talking about blizzards plan as of right now. And how it is a non issue. You are talking about if they completely lie and turn around and do the opposite. I agree if they did this it would be the death of classic. But that's not what is happening right now. You are playing what if's and conspiracy theories and that isn't what this thread is about.

Whose word am I taking on this? Yours, the poster who is willing to negate the whole classic experience on day 1 for convenience sake or the multinational billion dollar corporate who stopped giving a crap about anything that doesn't involve growing profit margins as cheaply as possible?

How many dozen about faces and 180's does this company have to do before you stop believing them?

If they hold true to their promise it would be a first for them.
Let's hope that this is the case.

Except that your logic falls flat here...

They don't have to allocate time and resources to sharding in Classic because sharding is already part of the infrastructure they are using for Classic.

They are not using the 1.12 codebase. They are using the modern codebase and porting 1.12 things into it.

What so many people complaining about sharding fail to realize is that they were NEVER going to get the 100% 1:1 Vanilla experience they were hoping for. It was always going to be a slightly modernized Vanilla experience, using the modern infrastructure minus things like flying, LFR/LFD, etc...

Sharding is a necessary evil for the short-term, and has no place in the long-term. It's just simply the way it is.
11/06/2018 09:09 AMPosted by Mogar

You are correct. Your statement is perhaps the most inaccurate statement ever made on this forum.
11/06/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Fallanaa
11/06/2018 09:09 AMPosted by Mogar

You are correct. Your statement is perhaps the most inaccurate statement ever made on this forum.

Actually neither are "statements". Both are opinions though.
Way hyperbolic dude. It might not be as catastrophic as we initially thought, but there isn't zero wrong, there are plenty of things wrong. Sharding isn't even remotely necessary.
11/06/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Orgrm
go play live wow for sharding we dont want it in classic give is classic wow not some remake abomination

Wait a few weeks until sharding is removed to play then? You do realize that only 100,000 people played the first day of Classic, right? And there is rumored to be nearly 2 mil BFA subs which all have the potential of checking out classic and then you have all of the people coming back for it specifically.

I think it's kind of selfish to pressure Blizzard into letting their servers stress and burn when they can maintain packed out zones, but just eased a bit with sharding for a week. Even WITH sharding it is going to be manic and we'll probably see much more people around than people did on Classic's real first day.

If they created dozens of realms to widely spread people we'd end up with tons of dying realms in no time after tourists leave, then people would be moaning about server merges.
People realize that waiting on mobs and being forced to group was part of classic right? It doesn't need to be like modern wow where everything is perfectly convinent