Actiblizzard is now a mobile gaming company

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
Oh noes a business with multiple product lines. All to increase profits.

The horror. How deplorable that companies want to reach more customers and capture more business!

I am gonna right their board of directors a strongly worded letter!
And in other news water is still wet
11/08/2018 01:06 AMPosted by Mythreus

The horror. How deplorable that companies want to reach more customers and capture more business!

They said none of their devs play PC anymore and they've moved their best devs to mobile development. There's overreacting, and then there's reacting to this - we are rightly upset.
11/07/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Elynos
I mean seriously, if they didn’t announce this at Blizzcon y’all wouldn’t be so butthurt about it.

Oh, you think??
RIP Blizzard.
11/07/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Mvura
Actiblizz was already a mobile gaming company. They bought King a few years ago.

Hearthstone is a mobile game.

There are multiple mobile apps for wow.

I'm not sure how one app is multiple, but white knights gotta white knight I guess.
"Many of us over the last few years have shifted from playing primarily desktop to playing many hours on mobile. "

No, blizzard. We haven't. There may be a massive audience who plays mobile game primarily but they are not the same audience. The people that have primarily played pc or even console games in the past still primarily play pc and console games.

Frankly I don't give a toss what blizzard do as long as it doesn't affect the stuff I like to play. If the games I like continue to exist and aren't tainted by their greed then I'll continue to play them. If they mess with them to squeeze even more out of us then they can go jump. I continue to play WoW, and to a lesser extent HotS and D3, because I enjoy them and feel like I get value for money. Not out of any kind of loyalty to blizzard. If that changes, I'll go.
In theory, I have no issue with blizz making mobile games, but that interview makes it sound like they're a bunch of hardcore mobile gamers (is that even possible?) and worryingly, that mobile games will be their focus.

Which... no.

As an aside, I don't have a cellphone. I find that a landline and sms via email works just fine. >_>
11/08/2018 01:23 AMPosted by Magnarok
"Many of us over the last few years have shifted from playing primarily desktop to playing many hours on mobile. "

No, blizzard. We haven't. There may be a massive audience who plays mobile game primarily but they are not the same audience. The people that have primarily played pc or even console games in the past still primarily play pc and console games.

Frankly I don't give a toss what blizzard do as long as it doesn't affect the stuff I like to play. If the games I like continue to exist and aren't tainted by their greed then I'll continue to play them. If they mess with them to squeeze even more out of us then they can go jump. I continue to play WoW, and to a lesser extent HotS and D3, because I enjoy them and feel like I get value for money. Not out of any kind of loyalty to blizzard. If that changes, I'll go.

The problem is, everything they've done since maybe Cata has been tainted by greed.

This is the company that made lootboxes in paid-for titles commonplace after all.
11/08/2018 01:06 AMPosted by Mythreus

1. They're siphoning off their best devs to make mobile games. That will decrease the quality of their PC games.

2. A lot of their devs. no longer even play PC games. That means they'll be out of touch with the target audience of their PC games.

3. Mobile games have a lot of bad practices like very shallow gameplay and aggressive monetization. Both of which would be very bad if they spread into the PC games.

There's a lot to be concerned about with this. And it will negatively affect WoW. It likely already has considering BfA was created while they were siphoning talent off for their mobile garbage.
My main gripe with mobile games is the complete invasion of privacy.

Is anyone really going to want to play a blizzard mobile game when it asks for permission to see everything on your phone?

Everything installed, all your photos, your contacts, call records, text messages, browser history, access to your microphone, and camera?

Probably not.
11/08/2018 01:34 AMPosted by Kuranna
The problem is, everything they've done since maybe Cata has been tainted by greed.

This is the company that made lootboxes in paid-for titles commonplace after all.

You are quite right. Don't get me wrong, I have noticed the crap they've pulled. I despise the loot system in overwatch. It's absolutely scummy. I don't even play that game anymore.

I think HotS is an interesting one though. It's free to play for one thing. Random loot boxes crappiness aside, I do like how that game's rewards and currencies are balanced. I've earned heaps and heaps in game just by playing. It really does feel decently rewarding. That said, I actually have spent some money on it. I bought a couple of skins for Thrall. But considering how much I've gotten out of the game, I feel ok about that.

Everyone is going to have different tolerance levels for these kinds of things and different points at which they draw the line. And that's fine. I can't say exactly where that line is for me. It's more just a feeling. If I feel like I'm getting value for money, then we're good. If not, we're not.
I was drawn to the first Diablo explicitly because it was grim and dark and not like other games I had played. To go all the way from that to an all ages, cartoonish, old, tired mobile game is just bizarre.

A better company would be leading the way and redefining the Diablo title in new and exciting ways, but everything that Diablo should deliver is done better by others now. Grim/weird storytelling? Dark Souls, Bloodborne. ARPG? Path of Exile.

They're solely focused on maximizing profits, even if it means killing the brand that enables those profits in the first place.