Why do people report others for the smallest of reasons ?

General Discussion
11/08/2018 12:59 PMPosted by Lilyredwood
Thank you for the responses everyone I appreciate it was always curious as to why people do it... I dislike the fact that Arthurious reported me for no reason I was not trolling was asking a real question no trolling at all...

If I remember correctly calling out someone by name on the forums will get you into trouble so I would remove that if I were you.
Perception is everything, isn't it just great?
11/08/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Naughtymoon
Thank you for the responses everyone I appreciate it was always curious as to why people do it... I dislike the fact that Arthurious reported me for no reason I was not trolling was asking a real question no trolling at all...

If I remember correctly calling out someone by name on the forums will get you into trouble so I would remove that if I were you.

Post removed.
They do it because they're SJW's and get offended by EVERYTHING
11/08/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Lilyredwood
11/08/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Hankypanky

/more popcorn

What was the question? Or the subject if you can't say?

Basically I should have clarifed my bad but for example I was doing a pvp match earlier today and healer in group said he was reporting me for being afk despite fact I was fighting right next to him....

I guess he wanted to be spiteful but I dont like getting false reports I gotten suspended in the past both on fourms and game sometimes for valid reasons but the majority of times its happened it was unjust cuz people were wanting to spite me ...

You could just not break the rules... then that wouldn't happen...

If you weren't afk... then there won't be any issues because they can check their logs and tell if you were afk...
What do you consider smallest of reasons? Some people think some verbal abuse is small...
I don't report anyone really, but I've been reported for alot of stupid reasons. People will report if the slightest of their feelings are hurt, even if it's not against ToS.

I do alot of WPvP, and the number one reason I've been reported for was, "griefing". Of course, nothing has been done because it's not griefing, but I find it really hilarious. I camp the Caverns of Time portal in War Mode, (and previously on PvP servers) with some friends and we just kill anyone who comes by. I happen to be Horde, accompanied by my rogue friend, and my other 2 friends are Alliance. They'll kill any Horde to step through, and I'll kill any Alliance to step through.

Often times, I get whispered by fellow Horde who the Alliance have killed telling me to help them, to which I ignore, and they start cussing me out. I also get whispered by Alliance who I've killed, through a btag request sent by them or a whisper on an alt, telling me, "kys low life camping portal" and alot more.

Sometimes though, for the hell of it if I want to piss them off even more, I'll report them even if it didn't offend me. They're still breaking ToS after all by saying all of that, heh.
11/08/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Arthurious
Reported.

Reported for reporting
To 'win'.
11/08/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Terranox
What do you consider smallest of reasons? Some people think some verbal abuse is small...

Verbal abuse is small. People need to toughen up. It's the internet, get over it and ignore people.
Because they feel the need to police others.
People have various levels of sensitivity. I never report anyone unless they are disrupting gameplay. What comes out of their !@#$ eater I could care less. If anything I feed off their miserable life.
One person's "smallest of reasons" is another person's breaking point.

I will have to say that I sincerely believe the people who think they aren't doing anything wrong simply don't have very good social skills. Maybe they were never taught manners. Maybe no one ever held them to task for their behavior before. Maybe for their whole lives almost all their interactions with people have been over the internet so they think what they're doing is normal.

If you think Blizzard's rules are "vague", if you're sure the problem is nearly always that people are "too sensitive", or if you truly don't see what's wrong with a comment or behavior that gets you in trouble, then you definitely fall into one of the above categories.
the THRILL of the HUNT
Didn't someone post this exact (but more verbose) question earlier today?
Was it not answered exhaustively enough or something?
11/08/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Lilyredwood
I am just curious as to why people do this.

And how do you define what small reasons are for other people?

I do not usually report people for using offensive words, unless directed to me or to other people!
Some people may use offensive words when talking to their mothers, but this is not something anyone, other than the said mother, considers a demonstration of affection!

In the real world, you can not treat others as if they were junk or with a treatment below the ideal for building mutual respect between the parties without receiving some punishment compatible with their antisocial actions!

I doubt that anyone who does not want to be kicked and punched out of a room will be treating people with hostility or as if they existed only to be trodden by them, as some trolls like to do in forums, for there would be compelling consequences, the anonymity of a PC, protect them!
11/08/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Lilyredwood
I am just curious as to why people do this.

For breaking the rules.

Which technically your post does since it doesn't pertain in any way to World of Warcraft and this is a "World of Warcraft Discussion Forum" per the Forum Code of Conduct stickied at the top of the first page.
The World of Warcraft forums are for discussion of topics directly related to World of Warcraft.

The forums here are specifically to discuss the game and related topics. Any topics not related to World of Warcraft, Battle.net, or Blizzard Entertainment are subject to deletion.

Oh, I didn't report you, but your post does actually violate the CoC and is subject to deletion.
11/08/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Snowfox
What one person sees as the smallest of reasons another may see as a big deal.

Like, if you call me a whiteknight, I'll probably just shrug.
If you call me a shill, I might sigh and maybe report.
If you call me a capslocked swearing ranting sexual thing, yeah - report.

In every case, -they- will see it as me reporting for the smallest of reasons.

Pretty much this. What we all see as "large" or "small" is really dependent on who we are.

I wouldn't give two craps if someone called me a whiteknight, or a shill, but someone else might see it as trolling. They might even give a good reason too! Imagine, if you will, the way they see it.

"Calling people shills undermines their argument by attacking them personally, and doesn't serve to further a conversation, but rather destroys their credibility in a way that, if successful, pushes them out of the conversation without having to actually be right about your point."

It's not even *wrong* either. It's an ad hominem attack on someone, and results in dismissing their argument out of hand.
11/08/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Hankypanky
/popcorn

What did you get reported for?

He is not allowed to answer that question that's against the rules
I would assume it's because they want something to stop or be punished.