Why do people report others for the smallest of reasons ?

General Discussion
11/08/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Lilyredwood
11/08/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Hankypanky

/more popcorn

What was the question? Or the subject if you can't say?

Basically I should have clarifed my bad but for example I was doing a pvp match earlier today and healer in group said he was reporting me for being afk despite fact I was fighting right next to him....

I guess he wanted to be spiteful but I dont like getting false reports I gotten suspended in the past both on fourms and game sometimes for valid reasons but the majority of times its happened it was unjust cuz people were wanting to spite me ...

Ahh so you get legit reported and suspended a lot, might want to change the bad behavior and it won't happen anymore. Pretty sure this new report was valid as well since you're well known for being reported.
11/08/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Lilyredwood
Basically I should have clarifed my bad but for example I was doing a pvp match earlier today and healer in group said he was reporting me for being afk despite fact I was fighting right next to him....

Ah. I would bet that you have not been reported. Players say that all the time, with varying levels of conviction. People who report, don't say a single word to you.

To clarify: There are people who report that say things to you, but those reports, unless the player reported has done something so over the top, are now muddied and usually will not end up with a response. The reports you have to worry about are the reports that you never "see". Those are more likely to be clear reports and thus more likely to be have a basis.

Remember: Do not engage; report; move on.

Just be a decent human bean and you won't have to worry. Blizzard decides, not the reporter.
11/08/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Lilyredwood
I am just curious as to why people do this.

What do you consider a small reason? Seriously curious as you left that very vague.
This is a spam thread. LOL.... Is this a tiny reason? I'll go ahead and post my answer here too:
11/07/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Solarwynds
I am someone who reports and about 20-25% of the time, I tell the person I reported them. To me, this is my wow home. I want the yard work done and the house smelling pretty inside so it is a pleasure to be here. I didn't make the rules. Some of them I don't even follow except for when I am in the forums or playing the game but the forums are not a garbage can for throwing out all the moldy food from the refrigerator. The other users of the forum are not whipping posts for a person to lash out at.

Blizzard has given me an opportunity to participate in keeping our home pleasant. I try to do it with my posts (although the longer I am here the worse I get at it) and I do it through reporting gross violations of the code of conduct.
11/08/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Naughtymoon
Thank you for the responses everyone I appreciate it was always curious as to why people do it... I dislike the fact that Arthurious reported me for no reason I was not trolling was asking a real question no trolling at all...

If I remember correctly calling out someone by name on the forums will get you into trouble so I would remove that if I were you.
I believe that it if its in the title. As long as it happened in the thread its not so much a callout.
11/08/2018 01:52 PMPosted by Mossclaw
People who report, don't say a single word to you.

This is true, in my case. Not sure if it's true or not but I heard something about reports getting less weight if the reporter is talking back to them.
What is a small reason? Are we talking about Gnomes again?
11/08/2018 02:17 PMPosted by Tadkins
11/08/2018 01:52 PMPosted by Mossclaw
People who report, don't say a single word to you.

This is true, in my case. Not sure if it's true or not but I heard something about reports getting less weight if the reporter is talking back to them.
I believe what is meant is that it is best to not engage if someone is getting you emotional bc you are likely to violate rules too and then also suffer the consequences.

I often try to reason with someone before reporting (in-game more than the forums).
11/08/2018 02:22 PMPosted by Solarwynds
I believe what is meant is that it is best to not engage if someone is getting you emotional bc you are likely to violate rules too and then also suffer the consequences.

I often try to reason with someone before reporting (in-game more than the forums).

Well yes, that is true too. Part of why I report is because while it's sending the word to Blizzard, it also removes the filth from your screen.
11/08/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Arthurious
Reported.

Reported for reporting.
It's a byproduct of our incredibly sensitive PC culture. No one can say anything to anyone now, you can't call people names or speak your mind so instead we developed new ways to express our hate or anger.

Simple call people uneducated, unprofessional, or just report em. Whatever it takes.

If I remember correctly calling out someone by name on the forums will get you into trouble so I would remove that if I were you.
I believe that it if its in the title. As long as it happened in the thread its not so much a callout.

Actually you aren't supposed to list people's names at all it's under the harassing and defamatory part of the code of conduct.
11/08/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Tadkins
Well yes, that is true too. Part of why I report is because while it's sending the word to Blizzard, it also removes the filth from your screen.
That is a very good point which I usually forget to mention.
Actually there was a thread awhile back, the tone of which was rather dark. The OP made reference to “ending it all” and I reported it because they seemed to genuinely need help. If they were trolling then they still need help but in a whole different sort of way. It may have been seen as a small thing to some but I did what I thought was right.
11/08/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Naughtymoon
Actually you aren't supposed to list people's names at all it's under the harassing and defamatory part of the code of conduct.
There is some interpretation involved in your conclusion that is different than mine. Saying "I dislike that X did Y" is not insulting in my opinion. That's civilly letting someone know. I guess then it becomes the interpretation of the mod that is important. And for the record, I have been told that I was reported for doing this very thing but I have never had a forum vacation.

For reference:
Harassing or Defamatory
This category includes both clear and masked language and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:
Insultingly refer to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people
Result in ongoing harassment to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people
Sorted! You are now in House Hufflepuff.

Reported
11/08/2018 02:37 PMPosted by Solarwynds
11/08/2018 02:31 PMPosted by Naughtymoon
There is some interpretation involved in your conclusion that is different than mine. Saying "I dislike that X did Y" is not insulting in my opinion. That's civilly letting someone know. I guess then it becomes the interpretation of the mod that is important. And for the record, I have been told that I was reported for doing this very thing but I have never had a forum vacation.

For reference:
Harassing or Defamatory
This category includes both clear and masked language and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:
Insultingly refer to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people
Result in ongoing harassment to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people

Which could happen when you list someone's name people are gonna lookup the name which could result in them being dropped from groups, kicked from guilds and the list goes on and on, it's why you aren't allowed to do that.
Pretty sure I deserved the times I've been moderated (forums, not in game). People report what they think isn't appropriate, and we never know about it.

When Blizz moderates (and yes, it's them, not players), it's because of the poster, not the one who reported them.

edit: clarification
11/08/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Minimedic
They do it because they're SJW's and get offended by EVERYTHING

As illustrated here, some people are offended by just about everything and need to lash out at people they don't know and have never met.