Alliance characters out of stories?

Story Forum
While a lot of emphasis is given to the Horde running out of characters, I feel like the Alliance on the other hand is running out of stories for their characters for the most part.

What chapter is Anduin working on? Genn? Jaina and Katherine? The Dwarves? Just about the only Alliance characters that can really be said that you can say “ooh what’s going to happen next?” Is Tyrande and the Night Elves. While that’s great, I feel like the Alliance overall is lacking even though they get a lot of face time.

Horde on the other hand has, in terms of “what is their next action?”: Baine, Sylvanas, Talanji, Vol’jin, Saurfang in major roles and then a bunch of other Horde characters who offer negative commentary on Sylvanas.
This is now the 4th thread this week seeking removal of Alliance leaders or villain batting leaders in order to remove them.

This one is done with more subtly than others.

To answer the OP, there are as many stories left as the writers at Blizzard feel there are.
11/10/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Saiphas
This is now the 4th thread this week seeking removal of Alliance leaders or villain batting leaders in order to remove them.
I’m pretty sure this isn’t a remove alliance leader ‘name here’ thread, Saiphas. Least from what I can tell.
11/10/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Lëora
I’m pretty sure this isn’t a remove alliance leader ‘name here’ thread, Saiphas. Least from what I can tell.

With respect, by asking if X alliance character is out of stories, the logical conclusion is that this can be used as a reason to kill off said character because they lack narrative potential. As I stated, this is more subtle than others, but the same logic applies.
Some of us have cautious hope that Blizzard are planting the seeds for discord among the Alliance races regarding Anduin's leadership and recent decisions. Most prominently the release of Saurfang from prison. It's always possible he's going to be proven right and lecture everyone who doubted him but who knows? Maybe Blizzard won't just retread that again.
Alliance character aren't out of stories, Blizzard is just out of ideas to write alliance stories.

Why? Lawful Stupid overdrive.
Guys, I've been saying this for a minute now, the Alliance has a surplus of racial leaders and heroes. There are 3 dwarves and 2 Night Elves, while the Horde is currently at -2, and that's just racial leaders. I'm not saying tit for tat is the way to go, but why hold on to leaders like Malfurion when it would be so much more interesting if he had died during the invasion of the Night Elves homeland.
11/10/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Saiphas
11/10/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Lëora
...I’m pretty sure this isn’t a remove alliance leader ‘name here’ thread, Saiphas. Least from what I can tell.

With respect, by asking if X alliance character is out of stories, the logical conclusion is that this can be used as a reason to kill off said character because they lack narrative potential. As I stated, this is more subtle than others, but the same logic applies.
Fair, alright. I’ll give you that. I suppose I’m numb to it and never notice anymore, not sure if that’s a good thing.
How is Genn out of story to tell?

Did you guys reclaim and rebuild Gilneas without me? :(
11/10/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Deathisfinal
Guys, I've been saying this for a minute now, the Alliance has a surplus of racial leaders and heroes. There are 3 dwarves and 2 Night Elves, while the Horde is currently at -2, and that's just racial leaders. I'm not saying tit for tat is the way to go, but why hold on to leaders like Malfurion when it would be so much more interesting if he had died during the invasion of the Night Elves homeland.

While I agree the Alliance has a lot, I don't think the answer is to cull them. Just let them do something interesting (which is what they're doing with Malfurion at the moment). And let them disagree with each other. I always say the most interesting conflicts are between characters who agree on the basic goals but disagree on how best to get there.
11/10/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Galenorn

Genn's got a daughter, though. As soon as she starts getting more development, we know what awaits poor ol' Genn.
11/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Rhuna
11/10/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Galenorn

Genn's got a daughter, though. As soon as she starts getting more development, we know what awaits poor ol' Genn.
Recreation of Old Yeller?
11/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Rhuna
He's already part of Anduin's father figure pseudo-harem. Him and Saurfang both have "Noble sacrifice" pre-filled out on their death certificates. He's already gotten over hating the forsaken since BtS too, so I figure he's got maybe one expansion left if he makes it out of this one.
11/10/2018 08:44 PMPosted by Lëora
Recreation of Old Yeller?

Bless you. The world should be so kind.

11/10/2018 08:55 PMPosted by Jerolan
He's already part of Anduin's father figure pseudo-harem. Him and Saurfang both have "Noble sacrifice" pre-filled out on their death certificates. He's already gotten over hating the forsaken since BtS too, so I figure he's got maybe one expansion left if he makes it out of this one.

Genn and Saurfang are both going to jump into the abyss together, holding hands.

Zekhan and Anduin will sorrowfully turn to one another and embrace as brothers. Baine will envelop both in a big sibling hug and WoW's credits will roll.

To answer the OP, there are as many stories left as the writers at Blizzard feel there are.

I probably worded it poorly, better way to put it: there aren’t many ACTIVE storylines for major Alliance characters and it feels boring.

We see they can add new stories as seen with the Night Warrior and the Night Elves. That story just started in 8.1 and is not finished, lots of loose ends there.

Compare that to Anduin and even Genn for instance, and they seem to mostly be around to just commentate on events. Yes, Genn still has the story of him wanting vengeance on Sylvanas, but that’s not advanced at all in BfA. And Anduin mostly just seems to be a storyteller to the rest of the characters.

Even with Jaina, her inner conflict got finished in 1 patch and Kul Tiras is United again. There doesn’t seem to be another major story involving her right now. We’ll see what happens with Derek though.

And while they can create stories out of anywhere, in the near future it doesn’t seem like much story advancement will happen for the Alliance characters. None of them are connected with the Tidesages closely and none of them have any Old God connections. There is Alleria in theory but she’s been absent. So for the supposed Alliance themed Crucible of Storms raid, I don’t see how any of the major Alliance characters will be personally involved. Maaaaaybe a Wrathion return involving his discussions with Anduin?

Flip side of that is Talanji who of course was heavily involved with Uldir and now has her story merged with Vol’jin and the mystery surrounding him.

I probably worded it poorly, better way to put it: there aren’t many ACTIVE storylines for major Alliance characters and it feels boring.

We see they can add new stories as seen with the Night Warrior and the Night Elves. That story just started in 8.1 and is not finished, lots of loose ends there.

Compare that to Anduin and even Genn for instance, and they seem to mostly be around to just commentate on events. Yes, Genn still has the story of him wanting vengeance on Sylvanas, but that’s not advanced at all in BfA. And Anduin mostly just seems to be a storyteller to the rest of the characters.

Even with Jaina, her inner conflict got finished in 1 patch and Kul Tiras is United again. There doesn’t seem to be another major story involving her right now. We’ll see what happens with Derek though.

And while they can create stories out of anywhere, in the near future it doesn’t seem like much story advancement will happen for the Alliance characters. None of them are connected with the Tidesages closely and none of them have any Old God connections. There is Alleria in theory but she’s been absent. So for the supposed Alliance themed Crucible of Storms raid, I don’t see how any of the major Alliance characters will be personally involved. Maaaaaybe a Wrathion return involving his discussions with Anduin?

Flip side of that is Talanji who of course was heavily involved with Uldir and now has her story merged with Vol’jin and the mystery surrounding him.

Ummm, Genn plays significant roles in 8.0 and 8.1. As others have joked, he is the Alliance MVP in both patches, keeping the Alliance from disintegrating, helping get KT on board, especially Katherine. Providing the spark of reconciliation between her and Jaina. He is a strong supporting character.

Jaina's conflict has been mostly healed, yet she is still reconnecting with her lost heritage in 8.1, further developing her as the Leader of the Kul'Tiran people.

Anduin has had plenty of development this expansion, but as I don't want to ignite yet another firestorm over the boy ill let that one be.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Ummm, Genn plays significant roles in 8.0 and 8.1. As others have joked, he is the Alliance MVP in both patches, keeping the Alliance from disintegrating, helping get KT on board, especially Katherine. Providing the spark of reconciliation between her and Jaina. He is a strong supporting character.

Jaina's conflict has been mostly healed, yet she is still reconnecting with her lost heritage in 8.1, further developing her as the Leader of the Kul'Tiran people.

Anduin has had plenty of development this expansion, but as I don't want to ignite yet another firestorm over the boy ill let that one be.

Genn has played important roles but his personal story hasn’t gone anywhere.

While Anduin changed in the lead up to BfA, he has not since the launch of the xpac and does not appear to in 8.1.

We ask “when will Baine actually act on his words?” Or “who manipulated Vol’jin and who brought him back?”

I don’t see those questions being asked for anyone on the Alliance except Tyrande. And for good reason with her because there’s a lot of possibilities now.

Part of the problem I think is there doesn’t seem to be an objective for the Alliance in the war except a vague “kill Sylvanas” goal. I’d like to see them have actual plans to carry that out. Even the releasing of Saurfang is a very vague strategy. And it also leaves out the Alliance characters.

An example of something I’d like to see: have Genn try to assassinate Sylvanas in some manner. Or at least plan to. Something that really draws on his desire for vengeance.

For Anduin I’d like to see another Divine Bell-like scenario. Have him refuse to use a certain power out of principle and have it momentarily backfire on him but he be proved right in the end. (Azerite doesn’t count since the Alliance uses it)

Both of those I think would fit their characters, end well for them, and give them some personal development.
As for Jaina, there is some possible upcoming stories with her in we don’t know how much of a role she’ll have in the new raid and whatever happens with Derek.

But in 8.1, her personal story is just.... stopped. Same with Katherine. There’s a gap and I don’t think that’s good. Would’ve liked to see more Ashvane in 8.1 other than just freed by the Horde.
11/10/2018 10:07 PMPosted by Niingdorei
Genn has played important roles but his personal story hasn’t gone anywhere.
i would like genn's personal story to go somewhere.....preferably with it's climax being the gilneans returning home finally
i would say that jaina's arc is almost finished
this major plot point that started in wc3 after she founded theramore and betrayed daelin is currently in their final stage.
8.0 is not exactly the end of her arc while true, she is now lord admiral.
But as for 8.1 she is now proving herself as worthy of the title.
there are some conversations with her and the produmoores.
and i expect more in the upcoming patches.

Now this derek plotline that the horde side put so much effort is probably the last major plot that she has and it all depends on how she will react to this.
i would say that bfa is going to be the place where her character arc ends one way or another.
But also we now have taelia or even calia. both of them have an important last name.
and apparently, the nelfs are starting a new arc, maiev,tyrande,malfurion,shandris.

as for genn i bet that he will have a major role in gilneas, we also have alleria and veressa with the quelthalas thing, or umbric.
Even gelbin seems to have another role in the future.
Now velen.. let the man rest.

We still have many personal stories and new can arise once the arcs of some major characters finishes.