Alliance characters out of stories?

Story Forum
When they are written as perfect, have everything they need, and no conflict, it's hard to write interesting stories about them.
11/10/2018 10:20 PMPosted by Withpuppys
11/10/2018 10:07 PMPosted by Niingdorei
Genn has played important roles but his personal story hasn’t gone anywhere.
i would like genn's personal story to go somewhere.....preferably with it's climax being the gilneans returning home finally

Yes.

Btw, this is not about asking for them to go evil or do something “morally grey” it’s just that I don’t see many of the Alliance characters having a story that people would be asking the question “what comes next”.

A good example of this I think is Tirion in Wrath. Very lawful good from beginning to end but he had a lot of twists and turns throughout. I particularly enjoyed the infiltrating the cult of the damned one.

Idk why Genn, Anduin, and even Mia don’t have anything like that in the works. There isn’t really any mystery to them in what happens next.
FWIW, the cinematic team intended to frame Anduin as having internal conflict in Lost Soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9BmYhp5lkQ
Not really, in fact, BECAUSE the Alliance has more living leaders they have more stories.

Turalyon and Alleria adjusting to being back on Azeroth, maybe fight alongside their son. Genn and the restoration of Gilneas. Velen and the Draenei finally settling on Azeroth. Malf, Tyrande, and Maiev reconciling by fighting alongside one another after so many years of tension between them. Anduin finding a mate. Taelia learning more about her dad and his fate. Jaina learning about he events of BtS and the fate of Calia Menethil.

There’s ALOT of interesting stuff they can do, that they’ve set up, it’s just a matter of whether they go through with it or not.
11/10/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Deathisfinal
why hold on to leaders like Malfurion when it would be so much more interesting if he had died during the invasion of the Night Elves homeland.
It was either Malfurion or the tree.
I don't think they're out of stories, it's just that Blizz focus on Anduin and those closest to him.

One story I would like to see evolved is Velens. He's spent millennia guiding his people from world to world, as they were relentlessly pursued by KJ and the Legion. That story is at long last resolved, and he was done with being a 'prophet' by the time it was all over.

I was a fan of the idea that he would sacrifice himself to take KJ off the board (not unlike his AU counterpart on WoD with the Dark Star). But seeing as that opportunity has passed us, I don't want him to die. Let him retire to the Netherlight temple for now. It's one of the calls halls that's truly a spiritual sanctuary for those who's faith is with the light.

The problem is that i'm unaware of any prominent Draenei characters that could take his place. It would need to be a character that's invested in the Alliance, and it's purpose, giving the Draenei more than a "We've got nowhere else to go".
11/10/2018 11:01 PMPosted by Balthrul
The problem is that i'm unaware of any prominent Draenei characters that could take his place. It would need to be a character that's invested in the Alliance, and it's purpose, giving the Draenei more than a "We've got nowhere else to go".

Draenei were supposed to get Yrel for that, but uh... well, you're welcome for AU Mag'har, I guess? Maraad is dead, he was the only fairly recognizable draenei besides Velen. There's the Triumvirate of the Hand, and Isanah, but the former group is more distant from the Alliance and the latter's a neutral type. So we're left with the Lighforged, who kind of usurped the Genedar draenei's story on Argus and have already lost one of their prominent named characters in 8.1, offscreen.

Not looking too good.
i mean we could also get yrel but i don't know if we are ever going to see her again.
or if she return to the alliance.

khadgar then turns into the neutral fanatical.
magni former dwarf king is another.
and i bet that malfurion will do the same eventually.
i am tired of alliance characters going neutral i prefer them dead before neutral.
11/10/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Rhuna
11/10/2018 08:44 PMPosted by Lëora
Recreation of Old Yeller?

Bless you. The world should be so kind.

11/10/2018 08:55 PMPosted by Jerolan
He's already part of Anduin's father figure pseudo-harem. Him and Saurfang both have "Noble sacrifice" pre-filled out on their death certificates. He's already gotten over hating the forsaken since BtS too, so I figure he's got maybe one expansion left if he makes it out of this one.

Genn and Saurfang are both going to jump into the abyss together, holding hands.

Zekhan and Anduin will sorrowfully turn to one another and embrace as brothers. Baine will envelop both in a big sibling hug and WoW's credits will roll.

I strongly feel that this ending would be far superior to whatever we end up getting.
I'm not saying tit for tat is the way to go, but why hold on to leaders like Malfurion when it would be so much more interesting if he had died during the invasion of the Night Elves homeland.
Because unlike Sylvanas some characters are, shockingly, more interesting when they're alive. It's not Malfurion's fault or any of the "boring" Alliance characters that the writers at Blizzard are uninspired hacks that can only get their creative juices flowing for Horde characters.
Does this mean that Medivh will finally show up with his son Medan Since non cannon characters are showing up all of a sudden
11/10/2018 10:35 PMPosted by Saiphas
FWIW, the cinematic team intended to frame Anduin as having internal conflict in Lost Soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9BmYhp5lkQ

Than they did a poor job considering the fact that he seemed deadset on leaving those bars open for Saurfang from the get go.
11/10/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Aureton
11/10/2018 11:01 PMPosted by Balthrul

Draenei were supposed to get Yrel for that, but uh... well, you're welcome for AU Mag'har, I guess? Maraad is dead, he was the only fairly recognizable draenei besides Velen. There's the Triumvirate of the Hand, and Isanah, but the former group is more distant from the Alliance and the latter's a neutral type. So we're left with the Lighforged, who kind of usurped the Genedar draenei's story on Argus and have already lost one of their prominent named characters in 8.1, offscreen.

Not looking too good.

This is what happens when only a handful of characters are developed overall, but not enough for each race.

Speaking of Argus, it would be cool to see Hatuun and the Krokul developed more. I realise that Argus was a neutral effort, but maybe there could be conflict between he and Velen, that Velen is not doing enough to prevent further oppression of their people.
This of course assumes that the Krokul came back to Azeroth. With the Legion defeated, they may have stayed to rebuild.
One minute you people say Legion and Wrath are Alliance expansions, and the next you say the Alliance doesn’t have any stories to tell.
11/10/2018 11:38 PMPosted by Jerolan
It's not Malfurion's fault or any of the "boring" Alliance characters that the writers at Blizzard are uninspired hacks that can only get their creative juices flowing for Horde characters.

The problem is that, like Blizzard, a lot of players think that chair-throwing episodes of Jerry Springer are the only “interesting” intrafaction stories available.
11/10/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Aureton
Maraad is dead, he was the only fairly recognizable draenei besides Velen.
Maraad? Uncle to Garona who lost his sister to Gul'dan's fel Horde? Someone with reason above almost all others to despise the orcs and the Legion? Someone with connections that could create new interactions and drama?

Nah, better kill him off. Have him die in an explosion a shirtless, unarmored orc survives to protect some fully armored crazy girl so she can have his neat hammer. Then we can wonder why people think the Alliance is boring and running out of stories.
Yrel didn't just get a hammer from Maraad. She got resolve, too.

Isn't that worth one good Draenei's life? (Maybe two if we're counting Velen.)

In any case, I won't have you talking smack about my baby space goat princess.
Guys, I've been saying this for a minute now, the Alliance has a surplus of racial leaders and heroes. There are 3 dwarves and 2 Night Elves, while the Horde is currently at -2, and that's just racial leaders. I'm not saying tit for tat is the way to go, but why hold on to leaders like Malfurion when it would be so much more interesting if he had died during the invasion of the Night Elves homeland.

Well the dwarves are now minus one due to Moira being the racial leader for the latest Allied race and I imagine the other Dwarf leader not named Bronzebeard will become the Wildhammer Dwarf leader when they finally roll that Allied race out bringing the Dwarves back to one leader again.

We also never know when Malfurion will go neutral again to represent the Cenarion Circle's latest reputation grind offshoot.