Questions about the Lich King

Story Forum
Why so many characters know that the Lich King still exists? Isn't that supposed to be a occult information that only Tirion and Sylvanas know about? Also, does anyone besides Tirions know that Bolvar is the current Lich King? I mean, Vol'jin and company by logic shouldn't be able to recognize him.
In the context of the greater world, it's still a pretty big secret.
I would assume that the Alliance and Horde leaders are all aware that there is a new Lich King as they must know what took place in the Halls of Reflection but they might not know who the new Lich King is.
Pcs know because they were there. Beings with large investments with death likely know of his influence on the scourge, the ebon blade takes orders from him. Those are the only people who know about him.
11/11/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Windlnk
Pcs know because they were there. Beings with large investments with death likely know of his influence on the scourge, the ebon blade takes orders from him. Those are the only people who know about him.

My biggest problem how this was handled in current events, how the hell did vol'jin, bwonsandi and talanji know that? How did they just naturally went to ask the lich king if he have involvement with sylvanas being warchief? Seeing all the current lore inconsistency it might just be that...
The cat's sort of out of the bag when he shows up in Legion and is all "We're going to do things my way, or we won't do things at all." Every Knight of Acherus knows there's a new king in town now.

The Deathlord (player character) gets close enough to see pretty clearly who it is.
11/11/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Mowachassa
11/11/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Windlnk

My biggest problem how this was handled in current events, how the hell did vol'jin, bwonsandi and talanji know that? How did they just naturally went to ask the lich king if he have involvement with sylvanas being warchief? Seeing all the current lore inconsistency it might just be that...

Yeah that's because they've stated that they refuse to let past lore hibeer current writing
11/11/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Windlnk

Yeah that's because they've stated that they refuse to let past lore hibeer current writing
A lot of IPs have been doing this lately. They treat established lore as little more than an after thought when it should be the core foundation of all of their storytelling.
The Ebon Blade and Kirin Tor know there's a new Lich King. Vol'jin and Baine know, at least as of 8.1, though if that was when they found out then they didn't seem surprised. Notably Sylvanas didn't know at first, and she freaked out when seeing him in Edge of Night. So assumedly not every single racial leader was told.

However, even out of the people who know there's a new Lich King I don't know how many people know he's Bolvar. Jaina and Varian knew in The Shattering, and agreed not to tell Anduin.
How did they just naturally went to ask the lich king if he have involvement with sylvanas being warchief?

Bwonsamdi told them to, it wasn't their idea.
If the world is to be free from the tyranny of fear, they must never know what happened here...

Wait...What statue in Dalaran?

11/11/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Mowachassa
Why so many characters know that the Lich King still exists? Isn't that supposed to be a occult information that only Tirion and Sylvanas know about? Also, does anyone besides Tirions know that Bolvar is the current Lich King? I mean, Vol'jin and company by logic shouldn't be able to recognize him.

Seriously though...The death knights know, and there's still quite alot of them. Sylvanas knows, and thus probably Nathanos too. Tirion obviously knew, who he might have told...
I don't think it's general knowledge exactly, but the key players are aware.
I thought his existence was still a secret until Legion (statue jokes aside). I must've missed the note in "the shattering" where Varian knew it was Bolvar. Knowing "there must always be a Lich King" is a far cry from knowing who actually wears the crown.

I think Tirion's must have told Varian and Jaina about Bolvar. Sylvanas was then the one to find him first, and I'm pretty sure it said that she couldnt recognise him. She likely didn't see the point in stirring the pot by telling the other Horde leaders/people's (Nathanos being the exception).

We then don't hear anything from Northrend until Legion, when the LK reveals himself to the Ebon Blade, and the Mage Order-hall meets him while recovering Felo'melorn. By now it's a fair assumption that it's out of the bag, that there's a new Lich King, but only Jaina would know his actual identity (with Varian and Tirion both dead).

Anduns line to Taelia "I have many stories to share about your father", didn't come across like he knows the truth.
11/12/2018 04:13 AMPosted by Balthrul

Anduns line to Taelia "I have many stories to share about your father", didn't come across like he knows the truth.

That is actually intresting. Bolvar was essentially the one who raised Anduin.
11/12/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Kyiwani
11/12/2018 04:13 AMPosted by Balthrul

That is actually intresting. Bolvar was essentially the one who raised Anduin.

It seems that the Horde is far more informed on this than the Alliance at this point. The only one in the Alliance leadership, besides that seems to know is Jaina but she's been given no reason to spread that knowledge. Unles Tirion Fiordring has recovered from being killed on the Broken Shore.