Zandalari Warlocks > Zandalari Monks

Story Forum
True story.
"The Zandalari have no connection to fel magic,"
-A Blizzard employee that doesn't know their own lore.
11/11/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Cannibal

Alex?
As shown with the Nightborne, I think all the Allied Races that can be monks were freshly trained once they joined the faction. They didn’t have existing ones.
yeah, they should most definitely not be able to be monks.

it'd be lore-correct for them to have warlocks. but even if they don't add warlocks, please don't give them monks.

the monk class in wow is just done in such a bad way. it's far to entwined with pandaren culture, it suits literally no other race but pandaren.

if they would go back and redesign monk to remove the pandaren culture from it, make it more of an everyman class like rogue and warrior, that would be ok.
11/11/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Älexandra
if they would go back and redesign monk to remove the pandaren culture from it, make it more of an everyman class like rogue and warrior, that would be ok.

This really seems like it'd be impossible without radically changing the basic concepts of the class, which ultimately is outside the scope of the thread.

I would argue that cultural exchange is actually a very interesting route for class choices though, and would be a cool point for more lore focused animation-changing glyphs.

It still doesn't really work for Zandalari, due to the time frame involved, admittedly.
As an Orc Monk, I’m ok with monk stuff. But yeah, the Zandalari wouldn’t learn from Pandaren, and Pandaren aren’t on good terms with Zandalari. This one really doesn’t make much sense.

That said, seems to me like they really just throw monks at everyone (unless you’re a cata race).
11/11/2018 10:12 PMPosted by Samurok
As an Orc Monk, I’m ok with monk stuff. But yeah, the Zandalari wouldn’t learn from Pandaren, and Pandaren aren’t on good terms with Zandalari. This one really doesn’t make much sense.

That said, seems to me like they really just throw monks at everyone (unless you’re a cata race).

As someone who mostly plays monk, having more monks seems kinda pointless when they keep making monk a weaker version of DH.
11/11/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Cannibal
"The Zandalari have no connection to fel magic,"

Is that actually the logic? Why are there tauren priests or paladans, or night elf priests, or troll or undead holy priests then? At least (unlike those in their current form) troll warlocks feel right thematically.
Here's a suggestion, set it up so that a player can unlock a new class once they have one of each of that races available classes at Max level. (I. E. If I wanted to play a Forsaken Druid I would have to have a Max lvl Forsaken Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Priest, Mage, Warlock, Monk, and Death Knight.) Once the "new class" is unlocked I could add Shaman after I get a Forsaken monk at Max lvl
11/12/2018 03:00 AMPosted by Morrighanna
Here's a suggestion, set it up so that a player can unlock a new class once they have one of each of that races available classes at Max level. (I. E. If I wanted to play a Forsaken Druid I would have to have a Max lvl Forsaken Warrior, Hunter, Rogue, Priest, Mage, Warlock, Monk, and Death Knight.) Once the "new class" is unlocked I could add Shaman after I get a Forsaken monk at Max lvl

Forsaken Druid at Max lvl sorry
Why would they not have monks?

The Zandalari were long-time allies of The Mogu. They've a history on, in and around Pandaria and with the Pandaren. They'd know about monks. They'd have learned about this fighting style that helped the pandaren slaves overthrow their mogu allies.

They'd have seen it in action. Maybe a few of them were like..Hey. I can do that.
What I don't get is why monk seems to be unique in that it trains people on-the-fly as new races join the factions, whereas every other class needs to have some backstory in the lore in order to make it work. Its inconsistency bothers me.

If monks are able to do it, then theoretically nothing should be stopping all races from being all classes as long as there's at least one teacher out there.
Pandaren Monk Trainers are like missionaries, they actively reach out to other cultures in search of students. Other classes don't really work that way. There are no warlock-trainers-on-mission running around desperately trying to induct new students.

Unless you count Legion cults, obviously.
11/12/2018 05:24 AMPosted by Solythn
Pandaren Monk Trainers are like missionaries, they actively reach out to other cultures in search of students. Other classes don't really work that way. There are no warlock-trainers-on-mission running around desperately trying to induct new students.

Unless you count Legion cults, obviously.

nobody needs to reach out to teach the zandalari about fel.

they had it in the form of demoniacs for longer than humans and elves have existed.

there's even one in the damn game, the grifter in vol'dun.
I know monks don't make sense but I will gladly take it for the XP buff.

They should have warlocks though, "no connection to fel" is bull!@#$. Even ignoring demoniacs (which you shouldn't) there's a Zandalari warlock quest elite in BfA.
11/11/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Niingdorei
As shown with the Nightborne, I think all the Allied Races that can be monks were freshly trained once they joined the faction. They didn’t have existing ones.

We have allied races that can't be monks though
11/12/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Reignac
there's a Zandalari warlock quest elite in BfA.

You mean the exiled enemy in Vol'dun that we kill? It's almost like that's signaling the Zandalari don't tolerate Warlocks.