Was this a mistake?

Warlock
Mage vs Warlock. I can see the benefits and disadvantages of both. What do yall think.
I’ll be honest, my main is a warlock 381 ilvl , and I have an alt Mage, Mage has everything... invulnerability, mobility, blink, stealth, slow, roots, stuns, shields, they Friggen ridiculous, while Warlocks have to talent in a lot to not even be competitive...

Like I honestly regret maining a warlock since 2004 now days, while we did have our golden years with Metamorphosis, and MoP style Lock for other specs...

End of WoD, all through Legion and now BFA its all... play Affliction in PvE or get kicked, and PvP we’re not even competitive ..... during Blizzcon I think it was only a China team that used a Lock once, lost the round and that’s it... no more Locks seen...

Sometimes I wish I made a Mage.....sometimes I wish Blizzard cared about Warlocks, do Warlocks even have a Dev? Cause I doubt it..

Edit.. Mage has disadvantages?
Pepino has some good points, mages do have a lot of tools. Mage is in a better spot at the moment. Warlock are supposed to be tankier than mages, able to take more abuse and dish out huge hits. At the moment warlocks can dish out major damage but we often cant survive long enough to get our damage out.

Warlock for sure need some love. It looks like were getting a little attention in 8.1 but were still a fun class. Thats one thing Warlocks have over mages. Each spec is different and feels unique.

with mages their specs are 3 variations on a spam one ability wait for procs type spec. Warlocks have a dot spec, direct damage, and a cool hybrid pet/dot/nuke spec.

If you like your warlock play it, youll have more fun on a class you enjoy instead of a class that is better on paper but one that you dont enjoy as much.
I've always preferred warlocks. Mage just feels boring to me. Fire is ok but back when I was leveling my mage originally (like WoD I think) I remember fire being garbage until you got a ton of crit or something. Frost and arcane just killed my soul lol.

I think the warlock specs have more interesting play and options than mages, but I do agree that mages bring a bit more to the table without having to sit there a summon a specific demon for the utility or something like that.
One thing warlock has way more than any other class ive found, is flavor.

Warlocks still maintain a lot of their role playing flavor, between summoning demons, the Green fire quest line. the eye of kilrogg and other little nifty spells. warlocks are one of the last bastions against blizzards vendetta against fun, flavor spells.
Flavour doesn’t get Mythic kills or cutting edge ;(, but I’m hoping Demo is getting massive and more love then Felguard 15% dps increase, Demon Bolt needs to hit harder, or give us Metamorphosis back!
I play my warlock because even after all the toolkit pruning we've endured, this class still has more flavor than braindead classes like mage, rogue.. well every other class in the game. That's just my opinion though.

However, just like Pepino said, Flavor =/= progression. Demo is definitely doing better I'd say, just could use a little more and it'll be fine in all pve settings.

From a pvp perspective im a little sick of it tbh. My flavor and I sit in LFG for 2 hours at a time when wanting to Q arenas, only to get bored and log off. The mage will always win here.

I have always said that I refuse to reroll since I'm in love with my warlock and the class as a whole, but damn that 117 spriest of mine is starting to look pretty good
11/12/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Pepino
Flavour doesn’t get Mythic kills or cutting edge ;(,

good thing our damage is really heckin good then :)

that said I enjoy both a lot. leveling a mage at the moment and it's really fun even if the rotations are just one button nukes. Having a threat drop is insanely nice after losing soulshatter so long ago, too.
11/12/2018 06:39 AMPosted by Haunter
11/12/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Pepino
Flavour doesn’t get Mythic kills or cutting edge ;(,

that said I enjoy both a lot. leveling a mage at the moment and it's really fun even if the rotations are just one button nukes. Having a threat drop is insanely nice after losing soulshatter so long ago, too.
Damage good? All that’s good is Affliction, Demo only good in Zek and Zul (pad on adds), Destro rarely seen unless Vectis.. Mythic raiding all you get asked is to go Affliction...

Like I’m sure Blizzard has to notice the huge downsides to being a Warlock compared to other classes...
Nope

I find all Warlock specs (except I guess Affliction) more fun than Mage specs. Mage specs basically spam 1 button, wait for procs/stacks, then press something else. Not my style. The Warlock specs all have their own flavor and flow

Plus, I can beat mages in raid and m+ across all specs

PvP is another story...requires me to massively outplay them but Warlocks actually have a decent toolkit to fight other casters. The issue is mostly the mage's teammates
I play warlock so i don't have to be on sheep patrol.
11/12/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Pepino
11/12/2018 06:39 AMPosted by Haunter

Damage good? All that’s good is Affliction, Demo only good in Zek and Zul (pad on adds), Destro rarely seen unless Vectis.. Mythic raiding all you get asked is to go Affliction...

Like I’m sure Blizzard has to notice the huge downsides to being a Warlock compared to other classes...

That's mythic raiding in a nutshell, though. Every class has a preferred spec, and is much the reason why I don't enjoy mythic raiding. I prefer fun over having to go aff nearly every fight. In heroic though, every spec is viable unless something is REALLY broken about a spec, so I totally do not regret just chumming about with a group of mates stumbling our way through heroic having a good time yakking it up.

Not everybody cares about mythic progression, and for those people, minmaxing is not at all necessary to perform well.
according to PVE stats on noxxic
in 345ilvl

• 1 Survival Hunter 13,349 DPS
  • 2 Arcane Mage 13,250 DPS
  • 3 Windwalker Monk 13,250 DPS
  • 4 Enhancement Shaman 12,723 DPS
  • 5 Demonology Warlock 12,610 DPS
  • 6 Outlaw Rogue 12,469 DPS
  • 7 Subtlety Rogue 12,415 DPS
  • 8 Frost Death Knight 12,370 DPS
  • 9 Affliction Warlock 12,339 DPS
  • 10 Destruction Warlock 12,327 DPS

with 390ilvl

• 1 Survival Hunter 19,009 DPS
  • 2 Windwalker Monk 18,888 DPS
  • 3 Arcane Mage 18,827 DPS
  • 4 Demonology Warlock 18,042 DPS
  • 5 Destruction Warlock 18,009 DPS
  • 6 Feral Druid 17,957 DPS
  • 7 Affliction Warlock 17,748 DPS
  • 8 Havoc Demon Hunter 17,549 DPS
  • 9 Enhancement Shaman 17,527 DPS
  • 10 Fury Warrior 17,437 DPS

So tell me, what class has all 3 specs in the top 10? Warlock and....yea, warlocks. Specs as I can tell are VERY gear stat dependent. Affliction needs a ton of mastery and haste. I'm not even that high of ilvl (349) and I out dps mages in groups. In Legion, affliction was miles beyond any other class. It was fun while it lasted. Now, as we continuously get nurfed, still top the leaderboards and damage meters. I love locks, and the versitility it has. Each spec plays like a different class. It is fun, and I enjoy this class more than any in the game. Play what you love and get good. As for mages, arcane is the only one in the top. Ask most mages, they say arcane is garbage. Perception is everything.

PVP top 5 overall
1 Discipline Priest Most Common
2 Holy Paladin -15.9%
3 Affliction Warlock -20.5%
4 Restoration Druid -31.4%
5 Arms Warrior -31.6%

In rated battlegrounds, Affliction is #1.

Never do I regret playing a lock. So focus on what gear stats your spec needs and you will really see improvements.
11/13/2018 05:56 AMPosted by Brookelynn
in 345ilvl

with 390ilvl

So tell me, what class has all 3 specs in the top 10? Warlock and....yea, warlocks. Specs as I can tell are VERY gear stat dependent. Affliction needs a ton of mastery and haste. I'm not even that high of ilvl (349) and I out dps mages in groups. In Legion, affliction was miles beyond any other class. It was fun while it lasted. Now, as we continuously get nurfed, still top the leaderboards and damage meters. I love locks, and the versitility it has. Each spec plays like a different class. It is fun, and I enjoy this class more than any in the game. Play what you love and get good. As for mages, arcane is the only one in the top. Ask most mages, they say arcane is garbage. Perception is everything.

PVP top 5 overall
2 Holy Paladin -15.9%
5 Arms Warrior -31.6%

Never do I regret playing a lock. So focus on what gear stats your spec needs and you will really see improvements.

Noxxic, the worst site you could possibly look at. Lol.
noxxic

stopped after that... remove that site from your browser and never look back you will be forgiven just this once
11/13/2018 11:55 PMPosted by Grrface
noxxic

stopped after that... remove that site from your browser and never look back you will be forgiven just this once

ok, look at warcraft logs. Every lock spec in top 10, my statements above still apply
in 345ilvl

with 390ilvl

PVP top 5 overall
2 Holy Paladin -15.9%
5 Arms Warrior -31.6%

There is literally nothing accurate about any of this.
11/14/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Brookelynn
11/13/2018 11:55 PMPosted by Grrface

ok, look at warcraft logs. Every lock spec in top 10, my statements above still apply

lol what?