Why doesn't Sylvanas resurrect...

Story Forum
*SPOILER WARNING*

Baine: Perhaps we can open negotiations--
Sylvanas: The Alliance slays the leader of the Zandalari, and you speak of negotiations?
Sylvanas: No. This war will not end until we stand victorious. Until the Little Lion kneels before my throne.
Sylvanas: Meet me aboard the Banshee's Wail. I have a plan to ensure the Proudmoore family pays dearly for Rastakhan's death.

I'm curious why Sylvanas doesn't just resurrect King Rastakhan. My only guess is that the Zandalari would not approve, but since when does Sylvanas care?
Negotiations with the Zandalari are still in process. Sylvanas cares about preserving relations with them, she absolutely would care about whether they approve.

Besides, Talanji is younger and more impressionable. Why the hell would Sylvanas WANT to raise Rastakhan?
Also Bwonsamdi has Ras' soul, so she shouldn't be able to res him from The Other Side anyway
i think that his soul belongs to bwonsandi.
i don't think that sylvanas would want to make him her enemy.

can she resurrects trolls? but you know what? don't answer that.
otherwise she would have resurrected voljin.
11/12/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Grandblade
Negotiations with the Zandalari are still in process. Sylvanas cares about preserving relations with them, she absolutely would care about whether they approve.

Besides, Talanji is younger and more impressionable. Why the hell would Sylvanas WANT to raise Rastakhan?

Yeah, she's raising people to be mere tools now and she doesn't need Rastakhan really.
11/12/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Yrithe
11/12/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Grandblade

Yeah, she's raising people to be mere tools now and she doesn't need Rastakhan really.

Seems like it could be a real blow to Alliance morale though to resurrect someone they just made a huge effort to kill.
Rastakhan’s soul is claimed by Bwonsamdi for one.

And the alliance killing the Zandalari King is perfect fuel for the Zandalari+horde to hate the alliance. Sylvannas is right; why would you negotiate with the people who killed your leader?
11/12/2018 12:59 PMPosted by Boraby
Seems like it could be a real blow to Alliance morale though to resurrect someone they just made a huge effort to kill.
It would be a bigger blow to Zandalar's morale. Sylvanas raising people is old news to the Alliance, but the head of the Horde raising the two hundred year beloved king of your empire as her twisted undead servitor?

C'mon. Sylvanas isn't that dumb.
11/12/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Valyndra
why would you negotiate with the people who killed your leader?

because the lives of your people and civilians are more important than revenge?

but yeah, raising rasthakan,the man that every troll is paying respects to is a quick way to break negotiations with the zandalari and the horde, that would achieve anduin's objective of cutting their ties.

Without the zandalari the horde has no hope to defeat the alliance, they would lose the war.
Bringing Rastakan alive again as undead would anger not just the Zanadalari but The Amani, Ice, Sand and Gurrubashi trolls. They respect their dead. It has been hit on the head a lot of how grey Sylvanas is. She did the best she could do against overwhelming odds against the Scourge at Silvermoon. Though she fell she saved many Blood Elves.

With her in power she doesn't value honor the same as most. She is into loyalty. With being in power she is willing to do anything to protect the Horde. She doesn't put honor first. By any means to protect and avenge the Horde. She is grey like Spawn if you would.
I think what OP misunderstands is that Sylvanas doesn't care about morality, but cares more about what will keep people loyal. Saying that Sylvanas wouldn't care about the Zandalari's approval is foolhardy.
11/12/2018 01:43 PMPosted by Grandblade
I think what OP misunderstands is that Sylvanas doesn't care about morality, but cares more about what will keep people loyal. Saying that Sylvanas wouldn't care about the Zandalari's approval is foolhardy.

Makes sense. What I'm gathering is that she wouldn't think twice about doing it from a morality standpoint, but from a strategic standpoint, despite it pissing off the Alliance, it could really hurt the Horde as well.

Where as resurrecting Derek Proudmoore does little to affect the Horde other than have it's leaders question her.
11/12/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Boraby
it could really hurt the Horde as well.
Primarily Zandalar. Nothing good is to be had from harming relations with Zandalar - and all the associated troll tribes - that horrifically. Besides, Rastakhan would likely not be the same as he was in life, in both power and mind. It's not worth it.
11/12/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Boraby
11/12/2018 01:43 PMPosted by Grandblade

Makes sense. What I'm gathering is that she wouldn't think twice about doing it from a morality standpoint, but from a strategic standpoint, despite it pissing off the Alliance, it could really hurt the Horde as well.

Where as resurrecting Derek Proudmoore does little to affect the Horde other than have it's leaders question her.

Also, she appears to have really misjudged elite acceptance of rezzing even Alliance peeps. Since this got baine, Talanji, and Valtrois up in arms.
Cuz even if she could resurrect Trolls (which, we do not know as of now. I'd guess she learned how to resurrect elves from "studying" Koltira Deathweaver for ... 3 expansions; and she's learned to resurrect Orcs from the Botani) ... I doubt Bwon would be super thrilled with him stealing his prize.

Rastakhan is HIS. He made a pact with him. He's been waiting for quite some time for his soul. He would go after Sylvie in a second if she attempted to take him from Bwon. He'd also likely go after Sylvie if at any point she endangered Talanji before Talanji had an heir (because the deal only is good as long as her bloodline exists).
11/12/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Boraby
*SPOILER WARNING*

Sylvanas: The Alliance slays the leader of the Zandalari, and you speak of negotiations?
Sylvanas: No. This war will not end until we stand victorious. Until the Little Lion kneels before my throne.
Sylvanas: Meet me aboard the Banshee's Wail. I have a plan to ensure the Proudmoore family pays dearly for Rastakhan's death.

I'm curious why Sylvanas doesn't just resurrect King Rastakhan. My only guess is that the Zandalari would not approve, but since when does Sylvanas care?
She knows better than to send her last three valkyr into The Udda Side, because Bwonsamdi will kill them for trying to steal his souls.
11/12/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Boraby
*SPOILER WARNING*

Because presumably the Trolls would rebel at being led by an Undead? Sylvannas can't resurrect anyone... all she can do is raise them to undead status and that would presumably offend the Loa expecting those spirits to come to them.
Old Rhastakhan was an obstacle to The Horde's acquisition of the Zandalari fleet. The Horde emessaries were a curiosity to him. Like trained apes or jugglers. Why on earth would Sylvanas want him back?

The fleet is gone, the old king is dead and the once too-proud Zandalari are square in The Horde's pocket now.
I believe in that one new quest about Void Elves reanimating a Dead Dinosaur and making it all Voided Out that Umbric states the Zandalari have a low constitution for the undead.

Undead Rastakhan would probably not go over well.
The better question here is why doesn't Bwonsamdi bring him back to life?

The answer seems to be that he gets mouthy during the fight with the Alliance and decides Talanji would make a better ruler.