A fun concept?

Classic Discussion
TRIGGER WARNING: CONTENT ADDITIONS. The following discussion is created with the OP knowing this won't be a thing, and is meant as a fun "what if?" scenario ONLY. However, the main subject is content additions. If you can't handle that, leave now.

The primary draw for classic, to me, is the way characters worked back then, as opposed to now. You had your full range of class features, minus a scant few that were locked to talents, and your spec was as much or more about how you used them. So much has been pruned away that it just feels sterile. However, back then blizzard was still finding it's footing on making dynamic, fun raid bosses, and it showed in a lot of their earlier raids.

But I got to thinking, how would the old character styles work in newer content? Highly mobile fights, danger zones, changing arenas, and shifting objectives are quite common now, where as before that wasn't really the case. If it were scaled backwards to 60, and given appropriate resistance/damage/etc mechanics, would people like the opportunity to fight, for instance, Blackfuse again?
Blizzard is free to do with BFA as they choose.

Vanilla is Vanilla.
I have the feeling they will eventually just do BC servers, once their content release thingy is mostly done and people start leaving the game.
This wouldn't ever work even if it were a possibility. Back in mists every class could essentially dps on the move, you can't do this in classic. Casts were long, hunters had to stand still, healers couldn't heal effectively while moving 24/7.

This just simply would not work in vanilla whether it's a 'cool' idea or not.
11/14/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Provengreil
TRIGGER WARNING: CONTENT ADDITIONS. The following discussion is created with the OP knowing this won't be a thing, and is meant as a fun "what if?" scenario ONLY. However, the main subject is content additions. If you can't handle that, leave now.

The primary draw for classic, to me, is the way characters worked back then, as opposed to now. You had your full range of class features, minus a scant few that were locked to talents, and your spec was as much or more about how you used them. So much has been pruned away that it just feels sterile. However, back then blizzard was still finding it's footing on making dynamic, fun raid bosses, and it showed in a lot of their earlier raids.

But I got to thinking, how would the old character styles work in newer content? Highly mobile fights, danger zones, changing arenas, and shifting objectives are quite common now, where as before that wasn't really the case. If it were scaled backwards to 60, and given appropriate resistance/damage/etc mechanics, would people like the opportunity to fight, for instance, Blackfuse again?

the problem is most classes don't have nearly the mobility they do now. anything that would require any sort of mobility would quickly fall on mages, hunters, druids and shamans.

other than that. i actually like the idea of new bosses with more meaningful mechanics.
Alot of current fights would just be undoable. I imagine some of the more mobile fights as a tank you had no mobility and cool downs were alot longer. Some of the mechanics would have to go away completely rather then be "retuned".
We're comparing two very different games here.

In classic it's about patience, preparation, grinding gear, communication, threat control, resource managment, focus firing, professions, skill caps, and CC.

BFA is an AoE Zerg fest for the lowest common denominator.

Which concept do u prefer?
11/14/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Oldallagala
This wouldn't ever work even if it were a possibility. Back in mists every class could essentially dps on the move, you can't do this in classic. Casts were long, hunters had to stand still, healers couldn't heal effectively while moving 24/7.

This just simply would not work in vanilla whether it's a 'cool' idea or not.

Perhaps. I just thought the idea of a sort of "forward timewalking" might be fun to chew on, so I threw it out there.