Is monk more fun than other melee classes?

General Discussion
Entirely subjective.

But no.
10/05/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Murik
10/05/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Douglas
...Of late, I can only compare them to fury warrior, outlaw and assassin rogue, and frost death knight. I'd call the fun level "on par" between all of those.

What I can say about monk is that it's more fun for me than it used to be. I'm not sure why. Back when monk was introduced, and during WoD, I hated playing as windwalker spec. Today, I find it perfectly fine. I'm still not sure exactly what changed, or when.

I think it’s the addition of whirling dragon punch. It really rounds the rotation out imo
The reason I'm not sure that's all there is to it is that I had fun recently leveling a few allied race monks (Nightborn and Dark Iron), and that's not available until 100. And I just checked, and my currently-112 Dark Iron doesn't even have that talent. But, it's still much more fun for me to play than it used to be.
Just stopping by this thread to say roll a Brewmaster Monk and help me bring the ruckus upon Azeroth.
this is rather cliche but it depends on your playstyle

which is what it all comes down to
We have flying serpent kick; the most fun ability in the game....
10/05/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Irenícus
Or are other melee much more fun and interesting to play. Not talking about dps in raids, just general play style and mechanics, and perhaps ability to kill people in pvp.

"Is strawberry ice cream tastier than chocolate ice cream?"

It's a question only you can answer after having tried it.
10/05/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Douglas
10/05/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Murik
I think it’s the addition of whirling dragon punch. It really rounds the rotation out imo
The reason I'm not sure that's all there is to it is that I had fun recently leveling a few allied race monks (Nightborn and Dark Iron), and that's not available until 100. And I just checked, and my currently-112 Dark Iron doesn't even have that talent. But, it's still much more fun for me to play than it used to be.
You should check out whirling dragon punch. I think it’s the only ability in the game like it where you can’t use it unless two other rotational abilities are on cd. It’s neat.
But yeah I agree monk is much more fun now than in MoP. Being able to move while using fists of fury was a huge change too.
One thing I'll add. Compared to some of the other melee classes I'd say its a lot of effort for middling damage. That's not a bad thing - but it's not, say, a ret paladin which you can play gazing at youtube on another monitor... ;)
10/05/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Stylo
10/05/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Murik
I’ve never experienced this.
Same, this is the first I'm hearing of this.

There is (was?) a bug when using Fists of Fury immediately after Storm Earth Fire in that sometimes one of the clones will not copy the FoF which results in a DPS loss. You can mitigate it by filling in another ability before you FoF, like Rising Sun Kick or Tiger Palm.

That said, I personally haven't played my WW that much ever since the GCD changes and BfA launch, so I don't know if SEF being on GCD has helped to mitigate that problem.

Note: The first response to this thread from Reshyk seems misinformed.
The spec does have a flow to the rotation and there are abilities that interact with each other, such as applying marks of the crane to increase spinning crane kick damage. If you fully learn how to play WW there's things going on 'behind the scenes' that you have to be aware of and utilize correctly. ie. applying those marks of the crane and keeping your mastery going.

I find it fun to play.
wildwalker monks use to be very fun, since the prepatch class pruning, it is a little slower and just doesn't fell right.

i still think i like my monk the most
10/05/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Murik
10/05/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Douglas
...The reason I'm not sure that's all there is to it is that I had fun recently leveling a few allied race monks (Nightborn and Dark Iron), and that's not available until 100. And I just checked, and my currently-112 Dark Iron doesn't even have that talent. But, it's still much more fun for me to play than it used to be.
You should check out whirling dragon punch. I think it’s the only ability in the game like it where you can’t use it unless two other rotational abilities are on cd. It’s neat.
But yeah I agree monk is much more fun now than in MoP. Being able to move while using fists of fury was a huge change too.
I think the "moving while using fists of fury" is part of it for me.

I think I understand why people like whirling dragon punch, but I really don't mind going a few GCDs with no buttons to press, and I'm not sure I like an ability that's quite that conditional. (Makes it tricky to build into a rotation macro for example.)
Monk is pretty dumb. They punch and kick... and throw beer.
10/05/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Irenícus
Or are other melee much more fun and interesting to play. Not talking about dps in raids, just general play style and mechanics, and perhaps ability to kill people in pvp.

That's all based on personal opinion, which has little to do what you would like to play.

I prefer a flow in mechanics. Monk, Rogue, and Feral Druid have both energy and combo points that frustrates me to no end.

Arms and Fury are fun. I enjoy them since I usually play a barbarian in D2 and D3 (WW).

Ret Paladins are pretty clunky, due to them being utility based.

Blood Knights are the best tanks in BFA. If you have the mechanics down, you won't be.

Haven't played a DH for some time.

Survival Hunter has the perfect blend of mobility, DPS, and pet choice.
It the most fun class for me specifically because I enjoy all three roles, which is incredibly rare for me. Being able to swap to healer, tank or dps on the fly and not loathe the rest of the run is a huge plus for your enjoyment of any hybrid class.
if you enjoy lame punch and kick animations that make wet slapping noises, sure.
I only play WW monk, but even top monks can agree DH is a fun version of a monk.
I have a lot of fun, stompin' and leapin' around, a huge glowing sword in either hand, a swirlin', whirlin' mass of armor and rage beatin' !@#$ down in the ground! :)
Subjective opinions are just that.

Mine is that they are such fun that in Mists I leveled two.

On this new account my first character was a boosted Monk that leveled 110 thru 120 in nothing but the 177 boost gear which was difficult but the class/spec has the tools to do.

I like action and mobility so my next 120 was a Demon Hunter and I'm now working on this guy to see the Alliance side and because Warrior is one of the best classes in terms of leveling design left.
Always hated Monk for no reason (continued to give up before Level 5 on them) until I finally committed to leveling a ww monk and I absolutely loved it. One of the most enjoyable specs in game imo.

Sadly the class is still Panda themed and it will never take off until Blizz fixes that.
I like the Monk... when I went back to play Outlaw Rogue, it kinda felt the same but weaker... but I'm also playing Frost Death Knight, and it feels different for sure.

I think that overall, I prefer Monk, but I wish they would stop messing up with the rotation and powers. I think the Melee vision is a bit off overall.