Can we go back to the old talent trees?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6
Talents are basically just prime glyphs now.

So we lost all that talent customization, plus a whole ring of glyphs from the old ui (minor glyphs still exist), and we're left with just the concept of prime glyphs (represented now as talents) and nothing more.
10/09/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Palvanda
10/09/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Klowdy

FF XII does quite well without talent trees. Of course their storytelling is awesome, their devs care, and the community is helpful, so maybe it has a bit more going on than ease of balance.

Is this the game you are talking about?
https://steamcharts.com/app/595520
Because if so, I can see how it would be easy to listen to a few hundred people.

Lol, sorry, I meant XIV. I've been playing the XII remaster a lot lately, and that's where my mind was drawn when typing.
The current system gives me options unlike the old system and it also made bad players that somehow managed to be worse than me worse at the game
WoW back then: pick these talents

WoW now: do I want ST focus? do I want heavy aoe? do I want a decent balance of the two? do I want better mobility or healing? do I want an easier rotation with slightly less dps?(absolute corruption) do I want my utility cc to be aoe, single target or increased duration?
I don't think many people in here PVPed before arena. The trees really shined then.

You had this build on shaman called "suicide build". It was 50/50 ele/enhance and you got all the shock talents and then you also had full windfury capabilities and good attack power capability.
This build was so damn insane 1v1 you have no idea.

After TBC they kinda went away from double dipping in the trees and it basically was destroyed forever, even that type of creativity was destroyed forever.
I know a lot of people who played mages who really enjoyed the "Elementalist" frost/fire builds, Blizz actually supported that style.

People who dump on the old trees just flat out have no heart.
Or at least give 4 or 5 choices each tier instead of 3.
Ok, guys, lemme switch to aff/aoe for this fight!

8 tomes later:

Right, guys, this last point I forgot, lemme look on EJ one seccond.
Depends... are they actually going to give me back half my talent tree that used to be baseline and then have the old talent trees? if so I'm so down.

The old talent trees offered so many unique, interesting builds for different things you wanted to do in the game.
Let's all go Retribution so we can exist entirely to give the raid blessing of kings!
10/10/2018 03:49 AMPosted by Nzhuv
WoW back then: pick these talents

WoW now: do I want ST focus? do I want heavy aoe? do I want a decent balance of the two? do I want better mobility or healing? do I want an easier rotation with slightly less dps?(absolute corruption) do I want my utility cc to be aoe, single target or increased duration?

WoW back then, heres the tools, do what you want with it. Do I want a unique tree for solo questing? Or a mix of survivablity and healing, or damage? Or what about utility? AoE perhaps? CC? De-buff? Lets focus on a PvP/PvE build so I can grind dungeons and quest, and defend myself if I get jumped in PvP or want to do a BG. Or choose a good build for single target DmG for those progression/boss fights, or shock people with my "wtf build is that, I want to try it" spec?

Now its; Pick these talents accordingly if you want too,

Raid
Pvp
Or run Mythic+

Thats all.

People probably focus more on sims, then they did back then searching google for these cookie cutter builds and putting in the points when they decided to get serious about the game, I know I did.

This is too focused on endgame. Without the fluff we had, no new players will join, or stay at least, and the game will die. "Here, play this game thats dead for 120 levels alone, and then grind dungeons with 4 other mute people, until you can join a community, aka guild, where you'll be heavily scrutinized by your 'Parses'.

Contrary to popular belief, which there were 1 or 2 well known guilds per server, and back then, certain realms, that were strict with the "cookie cutter" builds, but not everyone played too be top "deeps", "heelz" or tank, or even get to endgame/current content. We had fun. Which was reflected by subs. (sorry to pull the trump card)

And to top it off, we had the choice.

Signed:

Former Gorgotrash player, one of the original release realms butchered by this decline.
10/10/2018 04:30 AMPosted by Mikeyuio
Do I want a unique tree for solo questing? Or a mix of survivablity and healing, or damage? Or what about utility? AoE perhaps? CC? De-buff? Lets focus on a PvP/PvE build so I can grind dungeons and quest

That's what they sold you.

In reality you got :

"Paladin ? 31/0/20 or 31/11/10 if you're hated by your guild at level 60".

We have much more meaningful choices now than we had back in the day. Like I said on a previous page, the Retribution tree in Vanilla had 3 active abilities. Repentance, Seal of Command, Sanctity Aura. Everything else was a % here or a 1 second there that's all baked in now as it should be. Why do I need to point 3 points into doing 6% more damage with 2 handed weapons ? My damage is balanced around that, just give it to me, and let me pick instead between Divine Purpose, Crusade and Inquisition so I get to decide how to deal said damage : RNG, Burst, Sustained.
Yes this current talent system is trash.

All abilities should be baseline with passives that modify baseline abilities.
It got ridiculous when you had a holy spell caster like shockadij...somethjjg that was never intended.
No thank you.
10/10/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Kïlljøÿ
Yes this current talent system is trash.

All abilities should be baseline with passives that modify baseline abilities.

So talents should never grant Active Abilities ?

Why ? That's awful. Even the old talent trees gave you active options.

If talents were just "X% on Y spell or X% on Z spell", that would be boring.