New healer looking for some advice

Priest
Been playing since vanilla and somehow I have never played a healer. I am bored to tears of every other job and figured maybe healing could be the magic potion that could re energize my love for the game. I just dinged 120 and before I jumped into dungeons I wanted to make sure I was prepared.

The two main things I am wondering about is what are the major differences between when you want to play Disc or Holy. Spellwise I think the holy spells appeal more to me but I have heard that Disc is very strong as well. How effective are both specs in M+ up to 10 or heroic raiding?

The other thing is what kind of healing addons I need. It seems like there are 4 or 5 major healer addons that everyone claims is the best. I'm sure they all have unique positives but for me I think the simplest would be the best for now until I get the hang of healing. The ones I have been looking at are Healbot, Vuhdu, Grid and Clique. If anyone that has experience with these addons could give me a quick rundown on what makes them useful and which might be best for a brand new healer.

Besides unit frame addon are there any other hidden gems out there that help make healing better? Thanks for any information I am pretty excited at trying something completely new. I will do my best not to shame the good name of priests. :)
Holy or disc are fine for heroic and mythic10 content. They play very different from one another though, try them both out and see what suits your fancy. Disc is a bit abstract at first, so even if it feels “weaker” at the start, stick with it and learn from mistakes.

Any unit frame will do the trick - even ones you’ve used for other classes (ElvUI, VuhDo, etc).

Only “need” in my opinion is setting up mouseover macros for your healing/support spells. Otherwise you’d be doing a LOT of unnecessary clicking to keep your group/raid alive.
I would disagree with the mouseover macros, as I use Grid/Clique and have everything I need bound and have had no reason to actually click a player and throw some spell at them. If you only have 1 button mouse, I could see that, but if you have at least a 2 button mouse with mouse wheel (which can be bound by click, scroll up and scroll down with shift/alt/ctrl mods) then you have more than enough slots for all of the spells you need.

All the addons you list function in much the same way, they just look/feel different so it comes down to personal preference. Make sure you set up indicators for dispels and aggro/threat so you can visually see whats going on if you are not looking directly at the players for some reason, and you will be fine.

You can also use bind addons like Clique with stock raid frames, as there are some that prefer that route as well, less clunky and less setup. Its just about finding one right for you.
10/12/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Nightlights
I would disagree with the mouseover macros, as I use Grid/Clique and have everything I need bound and have had no reason to actually click a player and throw some spell at them. If you only have 1 button mouse, I could see that, but if you have at least a 2 button mouse with mouse wheel (which can be bound by click, scroll up and scroll down with shift/alt/ctrl mods) then you have more than enough slots for all of the spells you need.

When someone says you "need" to set-up mouseover macros what they mean is that you need the "mouseover functionality" they provide.. i.e. to cast spells when you mouseover a player in your raid frames.. Clique is pretty much the same as mouseover macros just that instead of actually having to type the macro you use the add-on to configure it, but still falls into the category of having "mouseover functionality".
I have a gaming mouse with 7 side buttons. I also have mouseovers set up and they are bound to 1-7 and S/1-7 if I need more. I use VuhDo because I like it's versatility and that I can use my mouseovers with it without having to use the buttons it specifies to bind spells to. Although I can still use those in addition to anything else already keybound. This is for my disc spec. For holy, I just use VuhDo as intended.
10/12/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Holymonky
10/12/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Nightlights

When someone says you "need" to set-up mouseover macros what they mean is that you need the "mouseover functionality" they provide.. i.e. to cast spells when you mouseover a player in your raid frames.. Clique is pretty much the same as mouseover macros just that instead of actually having to type the macro you use the add-on to configure it, but still falls into the category of having "mouseover functionality".

Ah my bad, I read that as mouseover macros and using nameplates or looking at the actual player. Clique isnt so much macros as it is binds, so I see them in a different fuction.
Try both out. I actively switch between whichever I want to do at any given time. Personally I enjoy holy for raiding and either for m+. I am a little odd by also not using and of those commonly used add-ons. I only use DBM and a damage/healing meters. I prefer the default UI and clicking targets ( I also have the f1-5 keys for group 1). I know a lot of people will disagree, but it works great for me. I have no issue topping heal meters in my guild runs with my play style. I have 2 mouse buttons, bind keys 1-8, f, g, and shift 1-8 f,g and shift mouse buttons.

Just find what works for you and do t worry about others :)